Oddest Given Name Of Any Of Your Acquaintances

Damaged Goods

Today's Bing page reminded me of a far-out woman in the neighborhood who named her kids after planetary moons, one of whom was Io (pronounced eye-oh, alternately eee-oh). Guys would call him "Yo eye-oh."

He hated it, not so much for its exotic nature, but rather because Io's a female. :LOL: Guy took a lot of teasing when his buds learned that.

I HATE my middle name. No. No. It's not that I don't like it, I detest it. I despise it. People shouldn't saddle their kids with stupid, inane names. Maybe you think it's cute to name your kid after the car model in which he was conceived in, he' ll hate it. And naming your kid after your favorite rock band may sound hip, but your kid is going to grow up when the band is, and out, of rehab. Sorry abot rambling, but to me, the oddest name is my middle name. And no way in hell am I telling it to you.

I remember when Andy Griffith told the story about what he called his friend Don Knotts, a.k.a. Barney Fife. His real name is Jesse Knotts. Andy said he always called him Jesse. Andy also said he hated that name, but did allow Andy to use it.

when we were kids, Dad got us a puppy... a Dalmatian/mix. he named her Louise... his sister's middle name. he made a point to call the dog by name just to see her roll her eyes. my sister was very susceptible to masses o freckles as a kid. we nicknamed her Spot. it was very confusing to people... was Louise the dog or my sister. was Spot the dog?

My First name is Morddwyd (more thoo id), which first appears in 1315 in an a Welsh epic called "The Mabinogopn."He is known as "The Slayer of the Irish"! It nan also mean "The Thigh Stone", but I was named after the warrior.
I read that at the Bodleian Library in the Tolkien translation. I loved it!

Two of my grandchildren have ridiculous middle names. I say nothing - to their parents. You guys here now know how I feel. When they’re of a legal age, they can change them if they want. It doesn’t cost too much.

Two of my grandchildren have ridiculous middle names. I say nothing - to their parents. You guys here now know how I feel. When they’re of a legal age, they can change them if they want. It doesn’t cost too much.
I'm so curious about the names Jules. I have a great niece named "Plum Blossom"...it can't be worse than that.

My middle name is Waite. I believe it to be an old family surname and possibly from Great Britain. It was also my dad's, my grandpa's, and my great grandpa's middle name. It's odd that it doesn't show up in any genealogy traces, perhaps it was on a grandmother's side and the name was lost to marriage, but it would have to have been back at least 6 generations.

When we were younger we were invited to a cottage by a couple my parents knew who had no kids. My dad used to rally drive his Austin 1800 with the man. Anyway it was my first time fishing. I was given a piece and string and a worm basically to shut me up. 🤣 I caught a big fish which was then hooked onto the dock. When they told me what they were going to do with it, I cried so they let the fish go.

The cottage was so nice. There was a big woodstove that heated the entire thing. It had one of those huge old claw foot bath 🛀 tubs, old wood cooking stoves and handmade quilts and blankets. It was adorably old fashioned.

This woman did everything to help make our visit extra special from the treats she baked to the selection of sugary kids cereal she picked. I even had some special lavender stuff for the bath, along with scented powder.

When it was time to go we all whined to stay asking her to adopt us and promising we’d be good 😂🤣😅
We had no shame. Lol.
To make an awkward moment bearable, she said she was going to rename us all and the names she chose were horrible 🙃. I’ll never forget her. What a lovely woman.

I read that at the Bodleian Library in the Tolkien translation.

a bit off topic but I know that many of you are interested in these things.

The definitive translation is held to be by Lady Charlotte Guest in the 19 th century.

She was the wife of a Welsh ironmaster who, like all such, exploited his workers dreadfully, which ensured she had enough leisure to do such translations!

There must be many of you whose ancestors were driven from these shores by the harshness of conditions in Guest's rolling Mills.

Apologies for the diversion to those who have no interest..

Working on my family tree there are so many strange names. They were common back then. Like Blessings, Charity, Paltiah and others. Some I can't figure out how they sound or what they meant. My nieces have named their children names I cannot even begin to remember. It is like they all want the weirdest name they can come up with. I never liked my middle name.

Back