Old Sayings Usually Untrue

Amethyst1

So many times I have heard people repeat these old cliche axioms as if they were golden truths-- but they aren't!

Honesty is the best policy....... sometimes

Follow your passion..............yeah but dont expect to make it your career

There's someone out there for everyone...................hilarious. On another planet?

Better to have loved and lost than never loved at all....................Patently false

If you fail, try try again. Don't give up...................sometimes it really is better to give up. It will be a great relief.

I understand how you feel about that.................... I have rarely or never found someone who really did.

If you have your health, you have everything.............LOL.

Got one to mention????

What a hoot and painfully true!

Here's what I've found over the years to be true....

Beauty is only skin deep..........that is just something homely people say.

Good things come to he who waits...........Oh Brother! waiting.gif

Virtue is it's own reward......well yeah for the most part that is true, but come on, a simple thank you once in awhile can't hurt.

It's better to give than receive..........well ok, but still, I want stuff sometimes too.

You really gotta wonder who the heck dreamed up that stuff?

I don't know about beauty only being skin deep...I'm as ugly as homemade sin. My mother said so. She said I should cultivate a nice personality:rolleyes:

Virtue? In other words, there is no reward:mad: You know, as in "patience is a virtue"...so much for virtue being its own reward!

As for words will never hurt me...words hurt and last forever (see comment re beauty being skin deep).

I'm on the fence with this one - I think they can all be true just as much as they can be false.

Maybe that's what makes them so golden.

Certainly I agree that if you have your health you have everything. I have precious few material possessions, but so far (knocks on wooden head) I have my health, so in essence it IS "everything". If I lose that, I could honestly say I have nothing. I have also had far too many people with afflictions tell me that very thing, and I think they would be the ones to know.

There is someone for everyone in the world ... perhaps there is - you just aren't in the right place at the right time to meet them.

I understand how you feel about that ... true empaths are rare, but they DO exist. Again, a case of being in the right place at the right time.

How about the catholic one that is pounded into every young head...

If you .........., you'll go blind.

Well, let's put it this way - it's a good thing I can touch-type ...

eagle2_zps23d025d5.gif

LOL Pappy...but the way my gramma used to say that was "the proof of the pudding is in the eating"

As for those foreign objects, raisins. Bread pudding is good with raisins, providing, of course, that you like bread pudding and like raisins:D

Back