Oldman tell us your stories about your flying experiences.

We had left Boston at 6 a.m. on a really cold morning in the middle of January. We had to take a flight to Denver and then down to Dallas later in the day. We were flying an almost brand new Boeing 737. The plane had less than 500 hours on it. It had that new car smell to it. You have all smelled that smell before, right?

On board, was Andy Warhol and his publicist. I had already had bigger personalities on some of my previous flights, so he didn't ring my bell, so to speak. Of course, they both sat in first class. I also had about 20 skiers flying with us and they were excited to get to Denver and then to the resorts to fly. One young lady told me that this was her first flight. I told her, "Yeah, me too." She looked at her boyfriend and said, "Holy crap." He told her not to worry, he's just kidding.

We get about 80 miles from Denver and start going through the landing checklist to configure the plane for landing into Denver, which at that time was Stapleton Airport, which was one of United's major hubs. We're running down the checklist and the F/O says, "Gear down." Uh-oh. the nose wheel did not extend. We retracted the gear and tried again. Still, no nose gear. Do it again. No nose gear.

I tell the F/O to check what the CRM (Cockpit Resource Manual) says to do. He tells me that one of us has to go down into the Hell Hole and crank down the nose gear. So, here, you have to understand that if the nose gear does not extend, one of the pilots can lift up a trap door in the floor of the cockpit, which we call the Hell Hole and get down in there and crank it down manually. I'm the Captain, so guess who goes down into the hole? Right, the F/O. He goes down and cranks it down until we get a green light on the instrument panel of the plane and that means the gear is now down and locked. BTW, the Hell Hole is cold, very cold and dark, except this being a newer plane, they did put a small light down there. It's also very tight. for space.

The mechanic tells me later that the sensor was stuck open and he replaced it.

I have to tell you, these stories make me tremble. You're WAY to tall to crawl down there anyway. You are so verbally proficient and make these stories SO EXCITING, have you ever thought of putting these in a book and getting it published? All these celebrities you met; Did any of them make any profound impressions on you? Or you on them?

@Ruth n Jersey .. thank you for starting this thread!
@ oldman .. thank you for indulging us with your compelling stories.

Oh, Ruth you are quite welcome. I am glad that you enjoy them. My wife was-is always pretty nonchalant when I start talking aviation.
We have a warning system on planes called “TCAS,” which stands for Traffic Collision Avoidance System. The way it works is that if two planes are on the same tract heading toward one another and will collide, it sounds a warning like: “Descend Now! Descend Now!” The other plane will get a warning like: “Climb Now! Climb Now!”

We were flying from Dallas back to D.C. and I still remember how happy I was to be going home. I had been gone for nine straight days and missed my family. I think we were around Little Rock when the alarm was sounded for us to “Descend Now!” The ATC is also supposed to be paying attention to make sure that planes aren’t on the same path in opposite directions. Obviously, this didn’t happen. The SOP is that when you receive a TCAS warning, you move in the direction that the warning advises you to by 2000 ft. We did as directed, then waited. We could tell when he passed by. We kind of felt a small wake.

Technology is great.

Many, many years ago, when my wife worked as a Mary Kay rep., she flew into Dallas-Fort Worth airport. The next day, a plane crashed because of a micro burst and many people perished. I was so darn grateful that she had arrived earlier. I seem to remember you mentioning this a while back Oldman.
Yes, that was a Delta, L-1011, which at the time was considered one of the most safest planes in the skies. Terrible accident, but believe it or not, because of that accident, planes are now fitted with Doppler radar, which is located in the nose of the plane. Planes also now have colored radar screens, which the pilots can read the color to indicate the weather like, ice, thunderstorms, wind shears and microbursts and also snow.

Pappy raises a good point. Every time there was or is an accident, the NTSB, investigates the accident and their job is to determine the cause of the accident. When they do their final report, they send completed documentation stating the details of the accident, their determined cause and recommendations to make sure there is not another accident caused by the same particular element.

That report is then sent to the FAA, who also follows up on the investigation and takes under advisement the NTSB’s recommendations. Keep in mind, the NTSB is only an investigative office while the FAA is a regulatory organization that can strongly make recommendations to Congress to have laws passed to make any and all transportation safer.

Would you post a close-up photo of yourself in your uniform? This way we can put a face to the wonderful stories! and . . Please keepthestories coming!
You will have to give me some time to consider your request. Unbeknownst to many of you, there are two other former United pilots that also post here, (not very often), and I don't want them to know my identity for personal reasons, if you can understand that.

There was a really good depiction of an accident on "Air Disasters, " which airs in the evenings here in the East on the Smithsonian Channel. A Russian passenger jet carrying 69 passengers and crew and a 2-man crew in a jet carrying freight for the carrier DHL and was a Boeing 757 (which is the same plane that I flew), crashed over a small plane in Germany.

There was a Swiss ATC that was monitoring the two flights, along with his airport's coming and goings. He was the only ATC on duty at the time, so he was fairly over-whelmed by the workload. Anyway, he spotted the two planes on his radar and recognized that they were on a collision course. He called the Russian plane and told them to "Descend Immediately", (I believe). Then, he called the DHL plane and told them to "Climb Immediately." In the meantime, both planes were receiving TCAS warnings just opposite of what the ATC was giving the two planes.

Now, both Captains in the two planes were confused. The one Captain followed SOP and did what TCAS told him to do, while the Captain in the other plane did what the ATC instructed him to do. This kept both planes on a collision course and they did collide killing everyone on the two planes.

The SOP when a Captain receives a TCAS warning and a warning from the ATC is different is to always follow the TCAS warning, no ifs, ands or buts. About a year and a half later, a Russian father and husband who had two children and his wife onboard the Russian plane hunted down the ATC that gave the planes the instructions and killed him. He wanted satisfaction. I think he may have even gotten off of the charges by the judge or jury. I forget that part. Here is a short story on the accident if you care to watch. The first YouTube video shows a quick look at the accident. The second video shows how the accident played out. I can't watch some of these shows as they truly break my heart.

You trying to make me cry? Well, It worked! I can't . . I don't know what to say. I can't speak or write.
Maybe that’s because you feel the empathy for the families. For me, it’s pilots that do not follow SOP. Something as simple as this and how many lives were lost, but also how many families also suffered. We go over this and over this in every training session. Every pilot must attend ‘x’ amount of training hours, including time in the simulator for the plane that they are certified to fly.

In that handbook is a statement that is repeated over and over. “When in doubt, always follow SOP.”

Wow! I REALLY have the highest respect for what you do. I used to go with an air traffic controller. Tall, handsome, He ate one entire bottle of Tums antacids per day! Both that position and being a pilot (officer) has to be a horribly stressful career. Hat's off to you! But those videos, cried my eyes out watching them. Glad you went by the book!

Wow! I REALLY have the highest respect for what you do. I used to go with an air traffic controller. Tall, handsome, He ate one entire bottle of Tums antacids per day! Both that position and being a pilot (officer) has to be a horribly stressful career. Hat's off to you! But those videos, cried my eyes out watching them. Glad you went by the book!

IMO, I think ATC is more stressed than pilots. At the larger airports, a pilot may speak to 3-5 different controllers before he/she is cleared for t/o (takeoff). Think about that. Pilots can’t even pushback or start their engines until a controller gives permission to do so.

OK, so I had to leaf through my journal for recall. I did remember both Doris Day and Debbie Reynolds. They immediately stood out in my mind because they were so kind to our flight attendants. I flew several celebs flying from LA to New York. Many were flying to appear on talk shows like Carson or Oprah.

One of my faves was Rick Ocasek, who sang off and on lead for the Cars. He wasn't anything like I would have expected. He was a very likable person and apparently very talented. I remember him telling my copilot that he was going to New York to meet up with the band to play a concert somewhere there. I didn't catch the whole conversation.

There are just to many to list and many that were on my flights that I didn't even know about until after we landed and one of the F/A's would tell me that such and such was on the flight. I remember flying one of my favorite authors, Stephen King, who whispered in my ear, "I'm afraid of flying." So, like I told everyone that said things like to me, I told him, "Yeah, me too." We both had a good laugh and he seemed more relaxed. I think he was flying to Chicago to be on Oprah. I seldom read the manifest.

Just like anyone in life, you remember people when related things in your life happens. Someone may be talking about a car wreck and that sparks a memory of another story that you remember out of the blue. I was never star-struck by any of them, but I found them to be unique in their own special way. A few even have quirks.

Several years ago, I think Billy Graham had his own plane, but for whatever reason, he was on one of our flights. I wasn't aware of that until the Purser called me on the intercom and told me, "Hey, thought you may want to know that Billy Graham is with us today." OK, I have to go out and welcome him aboard and do a little PR work. I walked up to his seat and told him "Welcome aboard." He was very kind and polite, but really had very words. He tanked me and then asked, "Do you think we'll be on time?"

Oh, I just found Danny Devito's name in my journal. I think he is under 5' tall and I stood next to him because his Publicist, who was traveling with him wanted our picture together. Danny asked me if I mind and I told him it's up to him. It probably looked like me standing next to Shaquille Oneal. This was back in the early '80's and I think he was still doing the TV show "Taxi."

I also had the Ramsey's on a flight from Denver to LA. We didn't exchange any words. That was back when she was being investigated for her daughter's death.

That's enough for now.

Would enjoy stories, But have a question for you.... The Courageous thread brought the memory back up...
Maxton Laurenburg Airport in NC was a WWII training base, we used one runway for Land Speed Racing..
The place was also used to scrape old commercial airliners....
What kind of mindset does it take to FLY a plane to the junkyard?????
Wow, your post gave me a flashback. I spent 20 some years teaching at UNC-Pembroke, and seldom meet anyone who even has a clue where Laurinburg, Maxton, Red Springs, and Pembroke are. Were you from that area or just there during the War?

I’m surprised that it stopped at 40%. I heard from a friend that is still flying that a United plane flew from here in the East to LA with one passenger onboard. I haven’t been able to confirm that yet.

Wow, your post gave me a flashback. I spent 20 some years teaching at UNC-Pembroke, and seldom meet anyone who even has a clue where Laurinburg, Maxton, Red Springs, and Pembroke are. Were you from that area or just there during the War?

OUCH... How old you making me????? LOL.... But I wish i could have been there to see it... It was built to train Glider Pilots for the Normandy invasion...
We used the long runway for Land Speed Racing.... started out by a local testing and tuning to go to the Bonneville Salt Flats, grew into the 3rd place in the US to do that type of racing... Was taken over by a military training group and shut down several years back.
We are about 3 hours west near Chimney Rock, But 6 weekends a year we lived either at the Track, Or Pine Acres Motel...

OUCH... How old you making me????? LOL.... But I wish i could have been there to see it... It was built to train Glider Pilots for the Normandy invasion...
We used the long runway for Land Speed Racing.... started out by a local testing and tuning to go to the Bonneville Salt Flats, grew into the 3rd place in the US to do that type of racing... Was taken over by a military training group and shut down several years back.
We are about 3 hours west near Chimney Rock, But 6 weekends a year we lived either at the Track, Or Pine Acres Motel...
Well, since I have no idea how old you are :p I wasn't sure, but was a bit pleased and amazed to think you might be. . . Ah yes, Chimney Flats. I always passed right by there on my way to Ohio to visit family. That's a pretty part of the state.

I had to look up land speed racing to see exactly what it was. My dad built and races stock cars on dirt tracks the whole time I was growing up (he was a mechanic and painter and detailer by trade). So I'm familiar with that type of racing more than other types.

Back in the 40s or 50s my dad was on plane that lost power in both engines and was headed toward planet earth. The plane regained power and landed all safe. He kept the story in a newspaper clipping. The reason it made the paper is Elizabeth Taylor was also on board. I was on a flight with the Utah Jazz basketball team and it was funny watching them walk down the center isle as they had to duck to keep from scrapping their heads on the ceiling.

Sorry Oldman... Kinda hi-jacked your thread... (no Pun intended)....
Im about to turn 57, grew up around dirt track racing in NY, Did alot of help building tuning and some seat time. Got involved helping some folks attempting to take back the Production Motorcycle Record at Bonneville that Harley had held since the 50s... (We Did) But that opened a Pandora's Box, Our son wanted to race, and at 15 build a 250 Honda Rebel.... and finished 10th in points the 1st year.... Started getting other ride offers..
He has set records over 200 MPH at 4 different tracks Eventually setting a record that was , At the time, 7th fastest sit on motorcycle in the world....
Does that count as FLYING ?????

Back