Ornate and Large Silverplate Utensils

There are many that collect old silver pieces. I don't know how to do it but should be able to drop those pictures into a search and find out what they are and their worth. I think they are beautiful!!

I was skeptical, but used the aluminum foil lined dish with baking soda and boiling water. They aren't perfect, but better looking.

View attachment 339353
Top one is a salad fork, Roger’s Bros 1847, plated, 1906 Charter Oak Pattern.
Bottom is Community Plate, plated of course! 1936 Coronation Pattern, soup spoon? Not sure.
The value is to someone trying to complete a pattern set. The fork is the more rare one.
Not much value in the silver. Maybe $2-$3 a piece. It isn’t Sterling!

The market value of silver plated items is close to zero. On the other hand items that are stamped as STERLING silver are worth about $28.00 USD an ounce right now. Same thing for silver jewelry marked as .925. An easy way to tell the difference between silver Plate, and solid silver is through the use of a magnet. If a magnet sticks to the item it is NOT Sterling silver. JimB In Toronto.

Bottom is Community Plate, plated of course! 1936 Coronation Pattern, soup spoon? Not sure.
The value is to someone trying to complete a pattern set. The fork is the more rare one.
Thanks for the ID, EmptyCup.

I have a whole set of Rogers silverplate which lay in the drawer for many years.
Lovely to look at but that is all.
Used only for dinner parties and special times. So stupid when you think about it.
Tried to sell. Nobody wanted them.

Then one day I decided to use them, stuck them in the dishwasher and used them for few years,
Tarnish happens but Comet Cleaner does a good job. ( sorry not Vim)
I now only use teaspoons and salad forks as my hands cannot handle the weight and size of regular knives and forks.

Last edited:
Generally not my style. I prefer simple lines in most everything. But these, especially the fork, I love. I would use them with my otherwise simple service and they would stand out; perhaps being a conversation piece.

I'd like them if they were stainless. I have enough silverware but still look for it at thrift stores. I have one large ornate stainless spoon. Most of the others are simpler. I also want some more butter knives, so I'm looking for those. Not easy to find.

Have to correct myself. It’s what happens when late and fatigued. The fork is a Cold Meat Fork- the odd tine is the giveaway. The spoon, because of its length, is a Serving Spoon. I opened a Roger’s set this am to refresh my memory. I had forgotten other odd types - cocktail fork, tomato server, cake knife, etc. Amusing!

Silverplate scissors, Sandwich/Salad/Cake/Pastry Tongs, Embossed ...

iu

With the price of silver now, you may want to keep them.
Correction. Silver PLATED items are next to worthless. Items that are MARKED AS STERLING SILVER, or jewelry that is marked as .925 Silver is worth money. Today the international spot price for SILVER is about $28.00 USD an ounce. Silver plated items are not sought by metal buyers, because of the low actual silver content, in the items. Extracting the silver content from silver plated items is just not worth the time and effort to recover it during the melting process, My retirement business is buying and selling gold and silver items. JimB.

Correction. Silver PLATED items are next to worthless. Items that are MARKED AS STERLING SILVER, or jewelry that is marked as .925 Silver is worth money. Today the international spot price for SILVER is about $28.00 USD an ounce. Silver plated items are not sought by metal buyers, because of the low actual silver content, in the items. Extracting the silver content from silver plated items is just not worth the time and effort to recover it during the melting process, My retirement business is buying and selling gold and silver items. JimB.
We dealt with silver years ago when it was about $35 an ounce. We have been waiting years for it to climb back. How long should we hang onto it? I have about 40 ounces.

Last edited:
Years ago I had a big disappointment. A local merchant had a radio blurb saying he bought anything gold or silver. I had a nice ice bucket and proudly entered his establishment. He wouldn't take it because it was a plated item. He said it wouldn't be worth the cost to recover the silver from it. I said I wasn't selling it for the silver content, but as a functional piece. He just shook his head. That all they care about is the precious metals and not a usable thing. Same with coins - they don't care about the beauty and historic relevance - just smelt them down for the metals.

Oh, ok. 👌 Thanks for the clarification!

Ha. We got seven (7!) sterling silver nut dishes for wedding gifts. Whaaaat? Who the heck ever needed seven silver nut dishes? Don't know what became of them.

Remember the days when a sterling silver tea set was coveted and usually passed down in the family?

And remember when brides-to-be put their sterling/china/crystal pattern choices on their registries? Now it seems that bridal registries only want cold, hard cash, and sterling is only good for melting down.

Times have changed.

Back