Our parent's sayings

Mother/Dad taught me LOGIC..."Because I said So, that's why"!
We all have to both learn that one has to apply sometimes, and use it ourselves when challenged by our own children to justify this or that thing they've decided they'd rather not do, (like wash their hands before a meal or whatever! :) ).

From mom...Boy, I'll hit you so hard you'll think that lightning struck...I didn't test mom cause she would have done it, hehehehe!!!
A good friend of mine who is a little older than I am has his grandson and wife, plus a great grandson living at his farmhouse, along with great grandmother too, and all get along famously I'm very glad to say.

However the little boy, who is about two years old, probably knows his mother is about to have another baby, so is perhaps acting up a bit because of it, and great grandad says his solution might be a small tap on the bottom.

He won't do it, quite wisely I think, and leaves it to the parents to sort these minor crises out, (great grandad being no fool, nor a soft touch generally, but of course spoiling grandchildren or great grandchildren is par for the course! :)

A good friend of mine who is a little older than I am has his grandson and wife, plus a great grandson living at his farmhouse, along with great grandmother too, and all get along famously I'm very glad to say.

However the little boy, who is about two years old, probably knows his mother is about to have another baby, so is perhaps acting up a bit because of it, and great grandad says his solution might be a small tap on the bottom.

He won't do it, quite wisely I think, and leaves it to the parents to sort these minor crises out, (great grandad being no fool, nor a soft touch generally, but of course spoiling grandchildren or great grandchildren is par for the course! :)
Haaaaaaaaaaaa...I hear ya. I got a soft spot for my grandkids too, but if they act out too much I also have a belt, and they know it!!

"Are you trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs"?

(My mother used this one quite a lot, and I never really liked it that much, though you can imagine the frustration felt when she was trying to deal with us lamentably stupid children, but there is something a bit self satisfied about the saying isn't there!,........., I wonder too how many folks here know what "sucking eggs" means? :unsure:)

My mother never said this but my mom's sister would say to my sister "Are you going out with those legs, they look like string beans."After hearing it so many times I finally said: "No she is going out with Your daughters legs they look like the legs on a Piano."I never let anyone pick on my older sister.

My mother never said this but my mom's sister would say to my sister "Are you going out with those legs, they look like string beans."After hearing it so many times I finally said: "No she is going out with Your daughters legs they look like the legs on a Piano."I never let anyone pick on my older sister.
Here are some more like the ones you've quoted, (apologies as most will probably have seen them before):

Momma taught me.1.jpg

Not sure if this was one of my parents sayings or not, (though my mother prided herself on being "full of grit and dogged determination", as she told a farming friend of my father's!).

"What can’t be cured must be endured"​

(If nothing can be done to improve the situation, we must put up with it. The proverb can be used as a retort to somebody who complains about the weather or noisy motorcycles or whatever it is he particularly objects to).

My mom's go to phrase was "Mind you". When I was kid. I fell and broke my arm. When she would tell others about it, she would always punctuate it with "Mind you" or "On the grass, mind you" Once my cousin and I were emailing about something I had recently done. I sent a separate message that just said "On the GRASS, Mind you" Cousin and I had a good laugh

My father would borrow words of wisdom from any culture or historical era to put his children in their place. Or he'd tell us how people used to be tortured or put to death for less. Fortunately I've forgotten most of it.

I do remember that he'd take something belonging to one of us and say, "Anything that isn't nailed down is fair game." Of course we couldn't get away with doing anything like that, because then there would be some other "truth" for us to swallow.

"You've got to find the happy medium"!

(my mums comment on life, though my father wasn't so enamoured with the saying for some reason, and would say: "There's no such thing as the happy medium"! Wonder who was right, I'll go with my mother on this one :unsure: )

My mom was very passive but when I pushed too far she would grab a hold of me and and yell "I'll shake the liver out of you!" The funny thing is she would say the same thing when showing affection. Makes me laugh when I think about it now.

"Is it them- or is it you?" What this was about: when a person is always disagreeing, hassling, or being at-odds with a large segment of a population (at work, school, neighborhood.. or maybe even forums) one should ask oneself if it's really the other people who are at fault or maybe it is oneself.

"Chewing the fat"!

(My parents used this expression quite often).

"Chewing the fat" or "chew the rags" are English expressions for gossiping or making friendly small talk, or a long and informal conversation with someone

The Oxford English Dictionary's earliest citation for "Chew the fat" is from a book published in 1885 about life in the British army stationed in India. The book implied it was a kind of general grumbling and bending of the ears of junior officers to stave off boredom, a typical part of army life."

Not a parent but a teacher loved to say this to pupils, especially me.

"If a potato was a the size of a normal person's brain, then you, with a brain the size of a pea will not amount to much."

I couldn't of been that stupid because I answered, "Well there's plenty of room in your head for that grain of sand."

He never caught me to give me the cane. 😊

Back