Our parent's sayings

Maybe I shouldn't repeat this one, but as its come to my mind, my father used to say, "Women start most/all wars", (or are behind them?)! :sneaky:.
I can't tell you where he got the idea from, as I'm pretty sure he wasn't interested in ancient history, "Helen of Troy" and all that, but there you are, I suppose its one point of view, whilst so many believe it is mainly men who cause wars, or start wars, you'd have to say my dad was a "bit of an outlier" on this one! :rolleyes: .
It would appear from my very limited research here, and at least some others share my father's view, (maybe time for a separate thread though?):
https://qz.com/967895/throughout-history-women-rulers-were-more-likely-to-wage-war-than-men/

and this one:
https://aeon.co/ideas/would-the-world-be-more-peaceful-if-there-were-more-women-leaders

Quote: ‘Women leaders can indeed be forceful when confronted with violent, aggressive and dangerous international situations.’ But they can also be aggressive in the cause of peace. It is, indeed, a stereotype to dismiss women as inherently peaceable. As Swanwick wrote in The Future of the Women’s Movement (1913): ‘I wish to disclaim altogether the kind of assumption … in feminist talk of the present day.’ That is, ‘the assumption that men have been the barbarians who loved physical force, and that women alone were civilised and civilising. There are no signs of this in literature or history.’
Maybe he meant "Women start all wars in the home."

Maybe he meant "Women start all wars in the home."
Well he could have done, but I seriously think he was referring to everything from WWI or WWII, back as far as "The hundred years war" between France and England and beyond! :unsure: .
My mum did start some wars in the home though, "whilst expressing the view she was a pacifist in that regard", (she'd sometimes tell her children to "don't fall out, fight", but she didn't mean it, she was just full of contradictions!). :confused::rolleyes: .

I just remembered something my friends Dad would say to her all the time. He would say "You know you are going to live until the day you die." It made me laugh every time he said it to her.

I couldn't think of anything my parents ever said to me. Nothing. Nada. But reading the post above, yup, I remembered this one,, and that one, and that one...............................I guess I put them out of my mind , now, when I'm in my 70s, as when I was 7.
These sayings of my parents keep coming back to me, as I'd guess they were supposed to do. Many made little or no sense to me when I first heard them, but off repeated they stuck. One or two eventually came better understood, at least telling me a little about the lens my patents saw life through.
All are somehow comforting I find, and I'm not sure whether I'll ever come to the end of them, because ones I'd forgotten, can emerge again, prompted by I don't know what. :).

Us as grandchildren, for the umpteenth time "What is that?" My grandmother: "Layovers to catch meddlers".

My absolute nonsensical favorite of hers when talking about going somewhere:

"If you get there first make a mark on the door. If I get there first I'll erase it."

I'm not sure this was quite a saying, but my mother used to claim, back in the 1960s or 1970s, that "the electricity supply was not so strong today"! 👩‍🍳 whilst she was trying to cook something, or perhaps bring the gravy to the boil on the electric cooker!

(I wonder now whether air pressure might have been fooling dear mum?). :unsure:.

Back