Our version of retirement: Living a childhood dream

Gary, I think it's great the way it is. But I understand personal taste in roof styles is also important.

I'm with Aunt Bea about some foundation plantings. They will soften the change from house to ground; that's the first thing I thought of.

One other thing; from the angle of the photo it looks like that tree branch is dangerously close to the roof. Otherwise I think the place is great!

I love the property and being able to have a garden! This is a good move for you both. I wish you many happy years in your adorable home!

Hi Ho...Gary'O!
headless_horseman-monsters-movie_monsters-horror_film-washington_irving-history-CX902928_low.jpg

I didn't know what you menat by "hip roof," so I did a bit of a research dive to educate myself.

Now that I understand the term, I'm curious as to why don't you like hip roofs.
Aesthetics, I guess
Just don't like the looks

I don't even care for some gable roofs if they have no eaves (like the one you showed)
Some cape cods are like that

My garage/shop is a terribly accentuated hip roof
I think they call it a 'pyramid' hip roof
I'm tempted to have my lady make a huge Santy cap to put at the peak.

what I do  smaller.jpg

The only thing I do like about hip roofs is when it comes to painting (no tall gable ends)

Last edited:
Gary, allow me to get you off the roof...and drag you in to the interior for a minute... did you ever consider log-cabin wallpaper? When I retired 13 years ago, I made an extra bedroom into my log-cabin room. I found horizonal rolls of paper, at www.thecountryhouse.com.

Last edited:
When I retired 13 years ago, I made an extra bedroom into my log-cabin room. I found horizonal rolls of paper
Nice site
Yeah, I think I'm gonna just make a few areas 'rustic' and leave it at that
(I'll take a pic or two of a wall in my shop tonight)
I'm pretty well cabined out in relation to living in town
I'm locked onto being a total townie

Still, I'll probably buy another chunk of land...and build a small cabin
This time it'll be as gnomish as I can make it (screw functionality)

But
For now
I've got some pressing stuff to do
My honey do list rivals my Christmas list
....and I haven't even checked it twice

my list fin.jpg

No neighbors is the site to seek-you can't get to the rural- next best:

I thought a house next to a centenary was a good deal; their certainly not going to bother you.
Next to a church is a good place, members only present a couple of times a week
Schools, hopefully your employed, don't have to be home until after 3 P.m and three months of silence

You have any information of sites next to nuns and monks that have taken a vow of silence?
Should be quite

Back