Peek Inside My Life, Photos

It breaks my heart to know that this sweet little baby is gone now, and she wasn't even mine, that's why I'll never be able to own a pet. It would kill me to lose one. :(
As someone who has had animals in my home most of my life i want to tell you---yes you feel the loss, but they enrich our lives so much it is well worth it to me at least. And i don't think of our dogs and cats as 'pets' they are family members to us. While i am a person who treasures my solitude i can't imagine not forming bonds with any being human, furred or feathered being that i felt a kinship with just because 'losing' them would hurt. But then i was a country kid my first decade of life and no stranger to the 'circle of life', i saw puppies and kittens born, eggs hatch and i saw them die sometimes too.

My grandma cooked on a wood stove. She would prepare a whole meal and it would come out ready all together.
My job was to keep the fire wood box full.
My Irish Grandma, Nell, had a huge coal burning cast iron stove, with the pie ovens above and a special thing that heated water to do dishes and take baths. She'd was making huge holiday meals on it as late as the early 60's. In Belleville NJ.

my favorite winter squash to bake
iu

A growing favorite in the US, Organic Green Kabocha Squash is a Japanese squash variety that has a rich, nutty flavor and a fine texture that's firm and almost creamy when cooked.

Butternut squash freshly picked from my garden. I always planted different varieties of winter squash making sure to plant them as far apart as I could. Otherwise they might cross. I stored buckets of these in the pantry and root cellar but also canned some too. If I had too much canning it will preserve it for many years though mine did not make it that long as we ate it. The so called professionals tell you not to can it, but I did it all the time and it tasted as if it was freshly picked. This was in 2010 but I harvested buckets like this every year up until 2018.

butternut_stored.jpg

Last edited:
This is an area of my yard that I had wild plants growing. These tall yellow plants are Mullein. A wild plant that is often used for earaches, respiratory and lung conditions. You dry it and then make a tincture of the blossoms. It grows wild all over my area. I often see it alongside the road. Now since I do not have access to it wild, I buy the Mullein extract and have been using two droppers full of it every day since these wildfire smoke appeared here. So far, I am good but I am not affected by any lung issues anyway. Just making sure.

2_mullien_2014.JPG

I have some mullein planted in my yard also ! It used to grow wild all over the place when i lived in Idaho; but if it does here in Alabama, I have not seen any of it.
I got some seeds and planted it last year. Mullein is a two-year plant, and the first year, it just had the rosette of leaves, and this year, it is making the stalks.
I harvested some earlier this summer, dried the leaves and chopped them up, and we use them for mullein tea. My husband has bad lungs, and he enjoys the mullein tea.
I am going to harvest some seeds just in case these plants are not self-seeding enough for them to come up again next year.

IMG_5314.jpeg

I have some mullein planted in my yard also ! It used to grow wild all over the place when i lived in Idaho; but if it does here in Alabama, I have not seen any of it.
I got some seeds and planted it last year. Mullein is a two-year plant, and the first year, it just had the rosette of leaves, and this year, it is making the stalks.
I harvested some earlier this summer, dried the leaves and chopped them up, and we use them for mullein tea. My husband has bad lungs, and he enjoys the mullein tea.
I am going to harvest some seeds just in case these plants are not self-seeding enough for them to come up again next year.

View attachment 296197
Your plants look beautiful! I am using it for a preventative due to the smoke from those wild fires. I use an extract now that I buy.

Back