Perfectly Frank

I'm reading a fascinating book about Frank,'Sinatra,:Behind The Legend' by J. Randy Taraborrelli.
I'm learning new things about him that I didn't know, e.g. Harry James gave him his 1st break,what a terrible womanizer he was, Humphrey Bogart&his wife coined the phrase the'Rat Pack' about their close knit friends,was very close to his eldest daughter,Nancy. The book is 537 pgs,I'm halfway thru,can't put it down Sue

"Nancy (With the Laughing Face)" written in 1942 by Jimmy Van Heusen and Phil Silvers (yes, Sergeant Bilko) was recorded by Frank Sinatra for Columbia Records on August 22, 1945 in Hollywood.

"According to Jimmy Van Heusen, he and his lyricist Johnny Burke were working at 20th Century-Fox composing for a film. While Burke was out of their writer's bungalow, Phil Silvers, the comedian, a friend to both, entered and suggested that they write a song for Johnny's wife, Bessie, who was soon to celebrate a birthday".

"At the party they sang "Bessie... with the laughing face" It was such a hit that they used it at other female birthday events. When they sang it as "Nancy... with the laughing face" at little Nancy Sinatra's birthday party, Frank broke down and cried thinking that it was written specially for his daughter - the trio wisely didn't correct him".

frank-sinatra-between-scenes-of-anchors-aweigh.jpg

Frank Sinatra "The Lord's Prayer"

This selection is taken from the Guest Star Radio Show, recorded with the Jeff Alexander Orchestra & Chorus, on October 26, 1949 and originally broadcast on December 25, 1949.

Back