phone scams

rkunsaw

I got a phone call yesterday. When I answered the caller said grandpa. I said who is this, he said it's me your grandson. I said which one, you all sound alike on the phone.He said I'm the oldest grandson. I said George! Is it really you? He said yeah grandpa, it's me, George.I said George the police are looking for you, you really ought to turn yourself in. George hung up.

Note: I don't have a grandson named George

It's why I don't answer calls when I don't recognize the number. Then I Google the number. Scams, every one of them. I block the numbers. It takes a while, but after a few more tries when they're automatically rejected, they stop.

I got a phone call yesterday. When I answered the caller said grandpa. I said who is this, he said it's me your grandson. I said which one, you all sound alike on the phone.He said I'm the oldest grandson. I said George! Is it really you? He said yeah grandpa, it's me, George.I said George the police are looking for you, you really ought to turn yourself in. George hung up.

That's hilarious. It almost sounds like teens placing crank calls.

Ive had that same call...but I knew my grandson wouldn’t be calling me for money, lol...I’m the poorest in the entire family.

when he said this is your grandson, I asked him what his name was...he hung up.

I have an elderly uncle and aunt (she is since deceased) who fell for this scam about 10 years ago, so it is not new. Grandson "was in Mexico in jail" blah blah. They sent money. And to her dying day, the Aunt believed it was her grandson.

I have an elderly uncle and aunt (she is since deceased) who fell for this scam about 10 years ago, so it is not new. Grandson "was in Mexico in jail" blah blah. They sent money. And to her dying day, the Aunt believed it was her grandson.

And, some elderly people are still doing it.

I do have Caller ID sometimes if I don't have my glasses on ,I'll answer the phone
If I'm annoyed with the person,I usually will say'operator,this is the phone call I want you to trace'.I've done this couple of times,it works

I have heard that before, funny as all hell. It amazes me how innocent the telemarketers think they are. And how [we] should be so understanding.

Several years ago I got a Facebook message apparently from my cousin, who I had just visited the week before. The person said she and her husband were in London. They were stranded because they got their wallets stolen and they lost their passports too.
Alarm bells went off, and not just because I had just seen them. But her husband had terminal cancer and had been preparing for Hospice.
So I asked how Gabe was. Response " Not well at all". Thing is, Gabe was not her husband. He was their DOG. Who had been dead for 5 years. I immediately disconnected and called my cousin to tell her she had been hacked.

Several years ago I got a Facebook message apparently from my cousin, who I had just visited the week before. The person said she and her husband were in London. They were stranded because they got their wallets stolen and they lost their passports too.
Alarm bells went off, and not just because I had just seen them. But her husband had terminal cancer and had been preparing for Hospice.
So I asked how Gabe was. Response " Not well at all". Thing is, Gabe was not her husband. He was their DOG. Who had been dead for 5 years. I immediately disconnected and called my cousin to tell her she had been hacked.

Oh my, I forgot about that one. That was years ago. I got the same message from a friend, "trapped in London", but her name was slightly misspelled. Another mutual friend got the same thing. Of course we ignored it all.

Right. And I remember the words: "The police are no help."

That is the real tragedy.

Telephone scams of all sorts are rampant and nothing substantial is done to squash them.

Plenty of advice from authorities, telephone companies and politicians on what we can do to protect ourselves but no substantial effort to stop it at the source.

IMO it will continue until it becomes unprofitable for the telephone companies that provide service to these criminals.

Well done! I, on the other hand, would have handled it a bit differently....I would have asked where he has been for the last twenty years....AND, what does he want...Then away we go...

Back