Planning retirement experiences

One bit of advice. Be your own person. A simpler, richer life is much easier to accomplish when you listen to yourself rather than others. Life passes by quickly as one ages, but don’t hesitate to slow down enough to enjoy it.

Well, I have the financials part planned for a retirement. BUT, I have become one of those empty nestors that is now on his own. Used to be it was going to be two of us, but now she is gone. Our thoughts were for two and now I am on my own to figure out the where, the when, the how, move or no move, stay in the home and go rogue, ....just alot of questions that I have to plan on my own and being alone. Not a groupie nor a condo character, but an outdoorsy type of person. So, I look at what I like to do at this point in my life, and figure I have one more move to make and do not want to flip flop when I make a decision. So, much easier when there was two because there was always a compromise and it was okay, but , now I have to make all the decisions and live with...:rolleyes:. So, I am feeling out the next moves.

Dump everything or hang on to some lifeline of stability and go cheap. But, there is always that "Where" question? Just doing a data dump to get some viewpoints and ideas from people with similar sitauations....

Well, it has been quite some time in my planning to retire. With CV19 on the horizon and mandates in the making I may be forced into retirement as of this October. So, at least I have made plans and have created financials that will take me into retirement about a year earlier than I wanted. I can take Widowers Benefits and using my own pension that I created I can live just fine. Housing paid off; no bills; just need to eat, sleep and spend my retirement....so we will see if I am forced in about a month to move along...

Since financials are in order maintaining health should be your priority. As for upkeep on property. Except for the loss of the muscles & hand coordination in my left arm & hand at age 80 have no problem with physical demands of upkeep. Tree trimming not as easy but doable. Motorcycle trips with my wife if I could would be my choice of travel.

Only difference in lifestyle was to pick a location that had good access to doctors & hospitals. Age has a sneaky way of causing unexpected problems.

My situation is not all that similar but I have a couple of thoughts to share for your consideration.

1 Be careful about the where. Particularly if you are contemplating a bigger move. Get to know the place and the people before deciding, spend time there. Remember being a resident is very different from being a tourist in a place. I grew up in a town in Florida populated with probably 70% retirees, mostly from up north. Some liked it, but maybe a third were very unhappy with their decision, some of those just stuck it out and were unhappy, some moved back. If they had spent more time investigating I suspect they could have avoided the problem.

2 I recently purchased a small travel trailer, that way I don't really have to decide where, not until the last minute and changing directions is easy. You might consider the same, particularly if you like outdoor activities, its camping with a lot more convenience than a tent.

Best of luck to you, it appears to me you are wisely deliberating, I am sure you will make a good choice.

Well, here is an update on my retirement planning. In Feb of this year 2022 I gave my opinion to my company since they were asking our thoughts about Covid-19 and other issues. I gave them my opinion on Thursday morning and on Friday afternoon I was fired. I started taking SS in Mar - so I was fired and then I retired. My first priority was to gather all of my accounts and consolidated them into one location, ie. 401K from the company into my Financial firm. I get better Credit Card cash back. I pay all of my bills automatically and the money income and expenses is all automated. I started walking everyday and planned my trip to Sturgis for the MC rally. I fixed up my trailer to haul the MC and sub as a camping trailer. So, I tow the MC and/or sleep in it at campsites. My next trip is down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am going to go across country and take my time and enjoy different locations. When I went to Sturgis a couple weeks ago it was a Wham Bam 1800 miles there and 1800 miles back. I was meeting a deadline, but the next cross country trip will be at my leisure since I will have no agenda.

So, yes I am going to do those things when I can early on in retirement before any health issues pop up. I am still in my house which is paid off. This house is good for a young retirement, but it will be overwhelming as I get older or even if I have any health issues. I have no bills except those I create to live on so if I need to make a location move it will be easier. I will take a look at places as I go along, but will not make any rash decisions before a year. Do not want to move and then regret it based on an emotional decision.

Sounds like you have made some rational decisions and are in a good place.

When is that next, more leisurely, trip planned?
I was thinking of going thru southern states and migrate west a bit and see some more of the area's I flew by in the past....i.e., some Rte 66 areas...touch upon some Northern TX places, I've been to every state thru my work over the years and liked some areas that I would like to see more in-depth. Go to some rally's this next POTUS election cycle.....

Well, here is an update on my retirement planning. In Feb of this year 2022 I gave my opinion to my company since they were asking our thoughts about Covid-19 and other issues. I gave them my opinion on Thursday morning and on Friday afternoon I was fired. I started taking SS in Mar - so I was fired and then I retired. My first priority was to gather all of my accounts and consolidated them into one location, ie. 401K from the company into my Financial firm. I get better Credit Card cash back. I pay all of my bills automatically and the money income and expenses is all automated. I started walking everyday and planned my trip to Sturgis for the MC rally. I fixed up my trailer to haul the MC and sub as a camping trailer. So, I tow the MC and/or sleep in it at campsites. My next trip is down the Blue Ridge Parkway. I am going to go across country and take my time and enjoy different locations. When I went to Sturgis a couple weeks ago it was a Wham Bam 1800 miles there and 1800 miles back. I was meeting a deadline, but the next cross country trip will be at my leisure since I will have no agenda.

So, yes I am going to do those things when I can early on in retirement before any health issues pop up. I am still in my house which is paid off. This house is good for a young retirement, but it will be overwhelming as I get older or even if I have any health issues. I have no bills except those I create to live on so if I need to make a location move it will be easier. I will take a look at places as I go along, but will not make any rash decisions before a year. Do not want to move and then regret it based on an emotional decision.
Sounds like we had similar paths. My position was terminated in June 2020, when I was 63 y/o. This was due to how Covid affected my industry. There was no chance of finding a job, so I simply took retirement and started drawing Social Security. Like you, I moved my 401k to my financial advisor who managed my other accounts. He has done a stellar job, even during the ups and downs of today's market. I was using an American Airlines Mastercard that earned miles because my job required travel. I quickly changed to a Chase Freedom card that provided cash back on every purchase, and I use it for every possible expense. Our house and my car is also paid off, so like you, my only expenses are the ones I incur myself or extraordinary expenses related to home, car or health.

I am also traveling while I am healthy because I know those days will eventually come to an end. We have various trips planned all the way through October 2023. We have driven and hiked the Blue Ridge Parkway. IMO there is nothing more beautiful in the fall when the leaves turn. Enjoy it. Sounds like you are living your best life! (y)

The wife and I were dedicated savers and don‘t need to work, but a retired neighbor who does need the money has taken up dog walking and cares for them when the owner is away. Depending on the neighborhood this can apparently be quite profitable — quite.

Here it is Sept 2023. I have been retired for 18 months and I stayed in the house. After last years cross country trip to Sturgis I opted to go to southwest VA to the Claw of the Dragon and the Back of the Dragon. Then I ventured south to the Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap at the TN/NC border. These places were on my list and I am glad that I just went and did it. These are some hairy hairpin turn roads. I drove all around and saw alot of things of historical nature and camped out in my home made trailer. I talked with alot of people and just vegged out.

In the back of my mind I asked myself "Could I live here" in some of these places. Actually, cost wise it would be better but I also asked if I could integrate myself into these areas and no lightbulbs turned on. I figure I can move anywhere but if I get there, then what? Have I moved from one area with a sense of longing to another area with a sense of belonging? I don't want to exchange one place with another where I have the same sense of questioning.

I came home after 8 days and thinking of taking another stab a little further west into KY (Buffalo Trace distillery) and south into TN. I grew up in Brentwood TN when it was really a small town with no curbs. Now it is 6 lanes wide with curbs. We used to go to the Grand Ole Opry restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner periodically over the years. The lands around Brentwood used to be all Farm land when I lived there and I used to work for the farmers doing handy work; throwing hay bails into the trailer; working on old farm houses; bush hogging pastures; taking care of horses - walking horses and quarter horses; just plain ole farmer grunt work. All that land is rich home sites now.

Always looking for new ideas as I go forward in regards to where to land....

Here it is about 12 April 2024 just a few months from the last trip to Appalachia. That was some good ridin'. So I went ahead and bought another bike at the end of Sept 2023. This one is for longer distances driving from the homesite. I want take rides from the house for a day or two and not tow. I have been thinking of taking a tow trip to UTAH since that is supposed to be a nice place to ride. So, I may still do a tow trip with the older motorcycle. It is smaller, older and easier to deal with. I was hoping to go places and stay for a few weeks and have a small GROM or Monkey just to get local food for a campsite and just to alot of hiking. But, that might be delayed since I can still have some strength and stamina.

I have been thinking "what will make me get up and leave here"? I feel like I am out of work and just biding time until my next job. Since I did not actually change residency and kept taking care of this house that nothing really changed. I kept my station in life and did not go to the next station on the train ride. Sort of funny in a way, but it works for now. But I still have a yearning to see what is next. I do plan on going to Knoxville TN in August so it might be a separate trip or part of the Utah trip. I certainly do not want to be gone too long since a squatter might grow roots in my house.

Old thread, and a diary.. I did the same. Kept the house sold my two bikes. BMW adventure, Ultra Classic. Started traveling overseas. Wow, should of done it years ago..

Back