Plastic found in human foetus

As soon as i saw this post , and watched the video, I thought this must be happening in India.. knowing and having seen the sheer amounts of rubbish and trash that are discarded in every city and village... filth and waste everywhere..

Sure enough on further research it is indeed India, as I suspected

Here in the city of Bangalore.. known as Indias' silicone city are where Italian researchers found that
The particles were found in both the maternal and foetal portions after normal pregnancies and births.

Microplastics are pieces of plastic that are smaller than 5mm in size and enter natural ecosystems through various sources like synthetic clothing fibres, paints and further breakdown of larger plastics. They are known to disrupt and degrade environments as they are not biodegradable.

The researchers studied the placentas of six women and analysed them to look for microplastics.

They found a total of 12 fragments of microplastics, which were 5 to 10 micrometers in size, in four of the women. Of these, more particles were found on the foetal side of the placenta, but they were detected in both maternal and foetal side as well as in the membrane in which the foetus develops.

All particles were pigmented and were red, blue, dark blue, violet, pink or orange in color.

My friend sent me the video. She worked in a testing lab for 15 years. She worked on Asthma inhalers. At first the company had metal lining in them but the propellant was CFC and that was banned, so they stared making the liner out of Teflon. The lab found Formaldehyde and BTA leaching from the liner into the medication. These people are our best (mad)scientists?

Some parts of our oceans are becoming "garbage pits", and the fish in those areas are quite likely to ingest some of that waste. Since it takes centuries for plastics to break down, eating those fish is a likely source of plastic particles winding up in humans.

Increasingly, much of what we eat can be "contaminated" as agriculture scrambles to keep up with the growing populations. We live in an area with huge poultry farms, and these chickens and turkeys reach "maturity" in less than half the time that it takes naturally. This is due to the growth hormones added to the feed. I strongly suspect that this is one of the reasons why Obesity is becoming so common....those hormones likely stay in the finished product.

My friend sent me the video. She worked in a testing lab for 15 years. She worked on Asthma inhalers. At first the company had metal lining in them but the propellant was CFC and that was banned, so they stared making the liner out of Teflon. The lab found Formaldehyde and BTA leaching from the liner into the medication. These people are our best (mad)scientists?
Yeah...i've got a lot of issues with Big Phama. And just had a 'spirited' session with new GP at local clinic who i was not happy with, nor she with me but we talked it out and she realized i'm just a very proactive patient---i'm not going to blindly follow medical orders---you need to explain the factors involved etc., and i will always prefer nutritional and lifestyle changes over prescription drugs, when/where possible.

i don't even trust most studies about benefits/downsides to various foods--and my GP admitted she questions them too. They play to 'typical' or average and people really are unique, even physically. i've seen so many things they said were bad for us years ago redeemed by more recent studies, i trust my own body reaction more than 'studies'.

Some parts of our oceans are becoming "garbage pits", and the fish in those areas are quite likely to ingest some of that waste. Since it takes centuries for plastics to break down, eating those fish is a likely source of plastic particles winding up in humans.

Increasingly, much of what we eat can be "contaminated" as agriculture scrambles to keep up with the growing populations. We live in an area with huge poultry farms, and these chickens and turkeys reach "maturity" in less than half the time that it takes naturally. This is due to the growth hormones added to the feed. I strongly suspect that this is one of the reasons why Obesity is becoming so common....those hormones likely stay in the finished product.
I wish there was a strong movement to make factory farms illegal. It's not only bad for us, it's inhumane how the animals are treated and how they live. A lot of the farmers would rather raise their chickens in more sanitary and humane conditions, but they're prohibited from doing so by the corporations they work for, so they'd go out of business if they did the right thing. There are also laws in many states against anyone taking photos of the hen houses where the chickens spend their lives, some of them never seeing the light of day. I think those are state laws. They might even be federal.

The thing I find a bit strange is the turkeys being raised in these farms. We have some wild turkeys in our forest, and they are all nice looking dark gray birds. When I see a truckload of these "commercial" turkeys, all the birds are solid White...almost like an Albino. What is going on that so drastically changes the colors of these big birds?

Not surprising in the least, plastic is everywhere and microplastic can get into most anything. I am sure we all carry some, just like we all carry PCBs and lots of other manmade things. The question is will it be harmful? If not it falls into the so what bag, but it might be, certainly worth studying. Doing away with plastics would not be a simple thing for us, they are such an important part of so many products.

A link to a more scientific study, done by a group of Italian scientists, seems to be a pretty credible group and study. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412020322297 It may have been the basis for the news report. I always prefer to go to the source, particularly in today's news environment. This particular news story appears more sensationalized than I like, but on the plastics accurate.

Back