Plus size ladies only please!

wonder what happens if you're a big girl but your top is as big as your bum :sneaky:
i suspect it depends on several factors including just how big those numbers are and your general state of health. Being too thin has it's own risks. Most doctors and books will tell you there's a happy medium. But i never tolerate doctor who is overweight lecturing me about mine.

And i know women lighter weight (& smaller circumference all parts of torso) than me who have multiple health issues and cannot do the physical stuff i do.

I've not heard of them, but will look on line and see what they have to offer. Thanks!
Pennington's/Additionelle have very nice clothes and reasonable price.
Because i haven't been anywhere in like forever......
There is one about an hour away, but not sure if it's still there.
Have heard this chain has closed many outlets but have a strong online shopping site.

Woman Within® Official Site - Fall Into Comfort Sale
Ad
https://womanwithin.com/plus-size/womens-clothing

Shop Our Fall Sale & Save On Popular Styles at Woman Within, Starting at $16.99. Trendy Women's Plus Size Clothing, Lingerie, Accessories & Shoes. Love What You Wear! Fast & Easy Returns. Free Exchanges Every Day. Designed For Your Curves. Sizes 12-44. Types: Tops, Pants, Dresses, Outerwear.
I just recently bought a dress from them! It fits fairly well and I like the fabric. I've considered other clothing items from them, but many of the reviews say the fabric is too see-through or of poor quality, and doesn't stand up to washing. Their shipping seems pricey too. I paid $15 for shipping for the dress I bought :confused:. Of course they do offer free or reduced shipping if you spend a certain amount of money, but I haven't been able to find enough items that appeal to me.
We only have one dedicated Plus size chain that I know of, Evans ... although I'm sure there's probably many online ,

Not the greatest selection but here's a good choice of summer casual dresses for the bigger girl.. ( no use to you in the USA but thought I'd let you see what was available here )

https://www.evans.co.uk/plus-size-clothing/plus-size-dresses/
We only have one dedicated Plus size chain that I know of, Evans ... although I'm sure there's probably many online ,

Not the greatest selection but here's a good choice of summer casual dresses for the bigger girl.. ( no use to you in the USA but thought I'd let you see what was available here )

https://www.evans.co.uk/plus-size-clothing/plus-size-dresses/
Not a plus size here, but I've bought a few things from this company over the years in regular women's sized. They have plus size too, and not very expensive.
https://www.blair.com/search/womens/plus-size?pageNumber=1&itemsPerPage=24
I had forgotten about Blair. My late mom ordered from them often. I'll give them a look. Thanks SeaBreeze!

I just recently bought a dress from them! It fits fairly well and I like the fabric. I've considered other clothing items from them, but many of the reviews say the fabric is too see-through or of poor quality, and doesn't stand up to washing. Their shipping seems pricey too. I paid $15 for shipping for the dress I bought :confused:. Of course they do offer free or reduced shipping if you spend a certain amount of money, but I haven't been able to find enough items that appeal to me.
If you get their catalog through the mail, most of the time it has a free shipping coupon on the back. I save their catalogs to use the free shipping option when possible. Their clothing is good quality. I have no complaints.

I just went to the Roaman's site for plus size dresses and all the models were about a size 4. So naturally, all the dresses looked great on them. I wish they would use plus size models so we can see what the dresses would look like on us.

Edit: I went to Woman Within too. They must be owned by the same company as Roaman's. They have the same dresses and the same models.

I just went to the Roaman's site for plus size dresses and all the models were about a size 4. So naturally, all the dresses looked great on them. I wish they would use plus size models so we can see what the dresses would look like on us.

Edit: I went to Woman Within too. They must be owned by the same company as Roaman's. They have the same dresses and the same models.
I think so. I have never purchased from Roaman's but I get their catalogs in the mail too.

Last edited:
I'm not a plus size....I fight to keep myself a reasonable weight, but I do think that long skirts are more flattering on larger ladies. If you can't find what you want in the shops, why not have a go at making something? After all, a skirt is basically a tube and it's quite easy to make your own.

Sadly, Addition-elle is no longer in business, though Pennington's is. I liked Addition-elle better. The styles were more youthful and modern. I've looked online for Canadian plus-size sites, but haven't found any that I like. I won't order from U.S. or U.K. sites, as the shipping fees/customs are too high.

I'm not a plus size gal BUT, as I've aged, I've gained weight and it just won't come off so I've had to adjust my size of clothing. I've gotten a few things from Women Within (because I'm cheap) but I found their sizes were all over the place. A medium would be OK when I got it but after it was washed it would shrink and I ended up donating a lot of tops to the thrift shop. In the long run, buying cheap didn't save me any money.

I agree that these companies that cater to plus size women should have models that are plus size and not look like they haven't eaten in a long time. Another thing that bugs me about these companies...all the models are 6' tall!! I'm 5'2" and can't say a petite size fits me any more but neither does a dress or pants/slacks that is geared for a 6' model.

Glad I don't have to work any more and buy clothes for office work. There are no decent looking clothes for women. I guess I'm just too old-fashioned...haha. When I worked, the company had a dress code that the women had to wear dresses or skirts...no slacks or pant-suits (remember those?? I loved them) and the men had to wear dress slacks with a shirt and tie. I had beautiful clothes when I worked...not so much now :(

I buy basics from Roamans/Woman Within (formerly Lane Bryant) - they're fine for that. They revamped their sizing a while back so it's more consistent nowadays. I buy my basic cotton tops, fleecewear, and underwear from them.

Their more "upscale" catalogs are Ellos and Catherine's.

Blair and Anthony Richards cover the low- to moderate-price end for everyday clothes. But I find the fabrics thinner than the above catalogs, and the "ease" in the fit can be skimpy.

I second Vermont Country Store for quality but their styles are too old-fashioned and 'granny' for my taste.

Other more upscale catalogs are Draper & Damon, Ulla Popken, and my favorite, Coldwater Creek. CC's clothes run on the large end, comparable to Roamans/WW; versus Blair/Anthony Richards. I'm a 2x in pants from CC/R/WW, but a 3x in pants from B/AR (one of those women who is 'on the cusp', size-wise, I guess!).

The one catalog I stay away from is Jessica London. It's a Blair company, but I have had zero luck with their fit & quality over the years. Every time I tried to buy something, I ended up sending it back.

HSN Home shopping is another good choice. I usually buy most things at Macy's end of season sales, get really nice things at a fraction of the price (75%off). Just put on a pretty top I got last year, they are just hanging in the closest with the tags still on. Pull one, cut of tag and I am good to go.

I tried Woman Within but couldn't ever get the right size or if I did, it shrunk after washing and then it was tight and uncomfortable.

We still have a JC Penneys store here and then there's Kohl's here, too. Don't like Target.

A few more catalog companies that carry plus sizes:

The Orchard Brands Corp. portfolio includes Blair, Haband, Appleseed's, and Draper's & Damon's.

Potpourri Corp has plus size clothing catalogs: Serengeti, Potpourri, and Northstyle. Also, it's not listed by Potpourri Corp., but I find The Country Store catalog seems to have very similar clothes, and their website looks similar to the PC's other companies, so they may be related.

Ladies, forgive the intrusion, some of you may know that dressmaking has been a lifelong hobby of my wife. I couldn't get her to post on here but she did impart some practical suggestions:
Wear fitted clothing to flatter your figure. Look for shirts that have darting or shape to them so they skim your body. For pants, choose a straight-leg, or tailored look. However, avoid a relaxed fit or trouser pant. For skirts or dresses, look for pencil, a-line, or fit-and-flare options.
My wife also said that you might be inspired by this website.

Yep it's a fact....we all observe the people around us. People watching is fun! We come in all shapes and sizes. I have no interest in attracting a man. I just want to have fun with my clothing, and not appear frumpy in the process :LOL:
I'm not qualifying as plus-size these days but I'm still full-figured so I feel somewhat qualified to respond here (especially as I was plus-sized in years past - and can I just add that the candy really is in the eye of the beholder).

When I was plus-sized, I found Lane Bryant's things very pretty: lanebryant.com. Better though, as you've commented on having trouble with good fit in one area combined with poor fit in another, have you thought of taking up sewing?

I sew and it is wonderful to be able to custom fit your own clothes. And it's not something that takes years to learn. Get a simple machine (I've been sewing for 30 years and just swapped my machine out for a much more basic model) watch some you tube videos, start with easy pieces.

Actually, the type of dress you are describing would be something not too difficult to put together with a sewing machine. :) You get to pick out the exact fabric and custom fit the dress. You can even make a body mold with a long T-shirt, stuffing of some kind and lots of duct tape. :)

If you don't want to take up sewing however, I really did like Lane Bryant's stuff. :)

I'm not qualifying as plus-size these days but I'm still full-figured so I feel somewhat qualified to respond here (especially as I was plus-sized in years past - and can I just add that the candy really is in the eye of the beholder).

When I was plus-sized, I found Lane Bryant's things very pretty: lanebryant.com. Better though, as you've commented on having trouble with good fit in one area combined with poor fit in another, have you thought of taking up sewing?

I sew and it is wonderful to be able to custom fit your own clothes. And it's not something that takes years to learn. Get a simple machine (I've been sewing for 30 years and just swapped my machine out for a much more basic model) watch some you tube videos, start with easy pieces.

Actually, the type of dress you are describing would be something not too difficult to put together with a sewing machine. :) You get to pick out the exact fabric and custom fit the dress. You can even make a body mold with a long T-shirt, stuffing of some kind and lots of duct tape. :)

If you don't want to take up sewing however, I really did like Lane Bryant's stuff. :)
I did give sewing a shot (again) with some simple patterns. Tried it decades ago but did not enjoy it and discovered this time around that my patience for such things has not improved as I've gotten older 🙄. Interesting idea you have though, making a body mold with a t-shirt. And thanks for the Lane Bryant suggestion (y).

I buy basics from Roamans/Woman Within (formerly Lane Bryant) - they're fine for that. They revamped their sizing a while back so it's more consistent nowadays. I buy my basic cotton tops, fleecewear, and underwear from them.

Their more "upscale" catalogs are Ellos and Catherine's.

Blair and Anthony Richards cover the low- to moderate-price end for everyday clothes. But I find the fabrics thinner than the above catalogs, and the "ease" in the fit can be skimpy.

I second Vermont Country Store for quality but their styles are too old-fashioned and 'granny' for my taste.

Other more upscale catalogs are Draper & Damon, Ulla Popken, and my favorite, Coldwater Creek. CC's clothes run on the large end, comparable to Roamans/WW; versus Blair/Anthony Richards. I'm a 2x in pants from CC/R/WW, but a 3x in pants from B/AR (one of those women who is 'on the cusp', size-wise, I guess!).

The one catalog I stay away from is Jessica London. It's a Blair company, but I have had zero luck with their fit & quality over the years. Every time I tried to buy something, I ended up sending it back.
Lethe200, thank you for these suggestions. I had forgotten all about Coldwater Creek but now remember from years ago that they offered some really cute and colorful clothing with wonderful textures. I will check them out again!

I love your wife's taste, @horseless carriage. Does she have any tips for petite size wear?
My wife is a petite woman, she also carries those extra pounds that can happen, in her case a knee replacement that curtailed our dancing.
She tends to make high-waist skirts or pants to create the illusion that she's taller by elongating her lower body.

pauline & jim's wedding 005.JPG
This green suit she made for our friend's wedding on leap year day 2020. (She made the bride's dress too.)
Another tip is to make the elevated waist visible by tucking in a well-fitting blouse.
Tips for a plus size petite woman.

I did give sewing a shot (again) with some simple patterns. Tried it decades ago but did not enjoy it and discovered this time around that my patience for such things has not improved as I've gotten older 🙄. Interesting idea you have though, making a body mold with a t-shirt. And thanks for the Lane Bryant suggestion (y).
Totally understand that! We either "click" with hobbies or we don't. Weirdly, there are some hobbies I would like to like... but I just don't. LOL You know what I mean? ...or is that just me? :unsure: :oops:

Back