Pneumonia shot.

IKE

I noticed this weekend that several places that are giving flu shots have signs up recommending getting a pneumonia shot also.

Are they really all that necessary ?........do you normally get one ?

I noticed this weekend that several places that are giving flu shots have signs up recommending getting a pneumonia shot also.

I got one last year..It worked just like the elephant repellent I spread on my lawn..

I don't. I am not prone to respiratory infections. Most of the peeps I know who get them are over seventy at least.

I think most seniors only need two pneumonia shots in a lifetime... The initial one, and then a booster after 5 years.

I had the Prevnar 13 Pneumonia vaccine shot about 2 or 3 years ago, so I won't need anymore. I also get the high-dose flu shot every year.

There are many, many, types of pneumonia.. Bacterial, viral, even fungal..... As far as I know the pneumonia shot only protects against pneumococcal pneumonia.. but I'm not sure.

There are many, many, types of pneumonia.. Bacterial, viral, even fungal..... As far as I know the pneumonia shot only protects against pneumococcal pneumonia.. but I'm not sure.
I don't know the details about that but as I recall, when my doctor gave me a pneumonia shot a few years ago he told me I wouldn't need another one for 10 years but then wanted to give me another one about 2 years later. When I mentioned the "10 year comment" he had made only 2 years earlier he said something about a different type of pneumonia without any further explanation. I didn't ask anymore about it because I had already made up my mind about it because of the issue I had with the first vaccine shot I received. Apparently something changed where the 10-year vaccine from a few years back wasn't doing all it was suppose to do?

Yes, my PCP told me there is recent evidence that neither the flu nor the pneumonia vaccines are effective on seniors.

I've never had either one.
I haven't heard that. What I've heard when you still got the flu in spite of being vaccinated was "the vaccine at least made it milder" and/or "you got hit with a strain that wasn't in the vaccine you were given". I've seen/read propaganda(?) for both pro and con about vaccines. It is hard to tell about some of it. The con folks even try to dispute some of the known positive vaccine efforts as being questionably tied to programs that enriched some of our basic food supplies with vitamins at about the same time. The inference is that we know some diseases/problems are tied to vitamin deficiencies and they add to that that the minimum recommended vitamin dosages are inadequate... so who knows for sure?

I got one when my doctor recommended it. Necessary? Who knows. My doc at the time was quick to recommend anything that could be billed to Medicare and my supplemental insurance.

I'm a strong believer in vaccines. I'm old enough to remember the horrors of polio.

I got very sick with swine flu years ago and ended up with painful infections in both ears and a very nasty bronchitis that was very hard to shake. I had been vaccinated, but it was one of those years they guessed wrong. I haven't been vaccinated since then, nor have I had the flu or a cold. I'm very careful when I have to go out, avoiding contact with people where possible, always wearing gloves and never touching my nose, mouth or ears when I'm out and about. I stay home when the flu is at its worst. Easy enough to do now that I'm retired. I'm a Lady McBeth-level handwasher, which probably helps some.

I forgot to say my PCP, who knows I have no faith in modern medicine and agrees with me for the most part, pretty much demanded two years ago that I get a pneumonia vaccination along with a tetanus shot. She's not usually that adamant so I acquiesced.

I worked for doctors for years and I know first-hand that most of them are boobs.

No, I don't think they are that necessary and I don't normally get flu shots or pneumonia shots, haven't had any vaccines in many years and haven't been healthier than I am without them.

I got one last year..It worked just like the elephant repellent I spread on my lawn..
:lol:

I forgot to say my PCP, who knows I have no faith in modern medicine and agrees with me for the most part, pretty much demanded two years ago that I get a pneumonia vaccination along with a tetanus shot. She's not usually that adamant so I acquiesced.

I worked for doctors for years and I know first-hand that most of them are boobs.

I would have gotten a simple tetanus shot years ago, but they insisted I get a combo shot for whooping cough also....told them no thanks. I don't know if most doctors are boobs, but their training and freedom to treat patients is very limited, maybe not boobs but unwilling puppets for the pharmaceutical companies....they have families to feed too, so I can't fault them for that. We can decide what or what not to do with our bodies.

I would have gotten a simple tetanus shot years ago, but they insisted I get a combo shot for whooping cough also....told them no thanks. I don't know if most doctors are boobs, but their training and freedom to treat patients is very limited, maybe not boobs but unwilling puppets for the pharmaceutical companies....they have families to feed too, so I can't fault them for that. We can decide what or what not to do with our bodies.

They generally only recommend whopping cough vaccine for those who are frequently around babies and young children. I don`t think that would apply to you,right? They haven`t even suggested it to me,even though they know I do foster care.

They generally only recommend whopping cough vaccine for those who are frequently around babies and young children. I don`t think that would apply to you,right? They haven`t even suggested it to me,even though they know I do foster care.

That's interesting Mrs. R, you're right, I'm rarely around babies and children...but it is strange that it wasn't suggested for you, they must've been pushing the vaccine that year for me. :rolleyes: :)

Many of the doctors I worked with were narcissists. They can be quite dangerous because they think they know more than they do and they tend to ignore what their patients say. As an example, a neurosurgeon I worked for had a penchant for operating on the wrong side of his patients' bodies. Ooops. I call doctors who do things like that boobs. I think you'll find more per capita boobs at teaching hospitals (where I worked) where they tend to become entrenched. I doubt most HMOs would tolerate or give contracts to PCPs who act like that because PCPs have to work well with others. Surgeons are pretty much the worst boobs of all and the incidence of alcoholism and drug addiction is highest among them.

What bothered me most about doctors' relationships to pharmaceutical companies is that the extremely limited training they receive in pharmaceuticals means they have almost no knowledge about the drugs they prescribe. It has been proved they tend to prescribe whatever drug is advertised on the notepad or pen in front of them, or some other gadget given to them by a pharmaceutical salesperson. That's why the pharmas happily keep them supplied with gadgets.

Doctors willingly go on exotic vacations and resort golf trips and chow down on catered breakfasts and lunches provided to them and their staffs by alespeople. I don't consider anyone who indulges in those behaviors an unwilling puppet. If you had a job where your patients' very lives depended on your knowing what you were prescribing, wouldn't it behoove you to learn as much as you could?

A friend who put on CE conferences said any time they scheduled a CE about how to make money, they knew it would be packled to the rafters while the CE down the hall about patient care would get a miniscule turnout.

That's what I mean by boobs.

I read about doctors working on the wrong sides of people's bodies, they were saying to take the time to mark your own body so a mistake isn't made before surgery....scary stuff, I'm cautious about trusting all of them. I'm sure some are reputable and very knowledgeable, but obviously not all.

First appointment I had with a first for me doc, before she showed up in the exam room, an 'intern/nurse?" came in and gave me a shot of something in my upper arm without saying a word. And I thought, "What the...?! What is this for?! and why?" but I kept my mouth shut. Turns out the shot had something to do with preventing some kind of pneumonia. But it sure would have been nice to first know why the heck I was having a syringe jabbed into me out of the blue.

Back