Polish Pierogi (piroshki)

Babka is a dessert. You must mean old Babushkas.

Nope, I mean Babka. But the terms are somewhat interchangeable. In Hamtramck, the old grandmas are Babkas, which the babka pastry was named after. Sweet, soft and comforting....both the grandma and the pastry.

If you're lucky enough to hit the cookie sales at Ss. Peter & Paul for the best Russian Tea Cakes or Pryaniki, you'll have to deal with the Babushkas. They're a tough lot.

Babkas, babushkas, nagyanyas, all those old ladies can cook and bake!

My mother used to make Pierogis for special occasions when I was a kid, everybody loved them, never paid attention to how she made them, pretty sure potatoes were the main ingredient. I was a picky eater and never even tasted them, now I'd probably love them. Online recipe here for them #7.

She also made Golabki (Gwumpki) which I also never ate. But her potato pancakes were great, I'd eat those

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenpaul...f-dumplings-from-around-the-world#.atk4N01G6Z

Last edited:
My mother used to make Pierogis for special occasions when I was a kid, everybody loved them, never paid attention to how she made them, pretty sure potatoes were the main ingredient. I was a picky eater and never even tasted them, now I'd probably love them. Online recipe here for them #7.

She also made Golabki (Gwumpki) which I also never ate. But her potato pancakes were great, I'd eat those

https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurenpaul...f-dumplings-from-around-the-world#.atk4N01G6Z
Damn it, SeaBreeze, I think I gained 10 lbs just scrolling through your link. 😾
I loved this poster comment on that website = "I wish to try every dumpling in this world before I die :) "

Ah, just now watched the video, lots of meat and I'm a vegetarian. But, that's a whole meal for carnivores. Looks good. Maybe some day I can play with the recipe and make a meatless version. Thanks!
Hey, Cat...think they would be wonderful made with mushrooms & onions. I'd try that...also swiss cheese and mushrooms or swiss cheese and chopped green onions would be delish. They look so good I'm going to try them, too, with different kinds of veggies in them.

Nope, I mean Babka. But the terms are somewhat interchangeable. In Hamtramck, the old grandmas are Babkas, which the babka pastry was named after. Sweet, soft and comforting....both the grandma and the pastry.

If you're lucky enough to hit the cookie sales at Ss. Peter & Paul for the best Russian Tea Cakes or Pryaniki, you'll have to deal with the Babushkas. They're a tough lot.

Babkas, babushkas, nagyanyas, all those old ladies can cook and bake!
Wow you really know your stuff. That’s interesting

Back