Post one favorite photo you took (max 1 per day) with some details.

The 5th Meetinghouse: Below is a picture of the 1817 meeting house and church on Lancaster, MA, common. It was the town's 5th meeting house and was designed by noted architect Charles Bulfinch in 1816 and dedicated on January 1, 1817. The Bulfinch Meetinghouse is considered “an American architectural masterpiece” and is listed on the National Historic Register.

jun16_2021_lancaster_bullfinch-church_sky.jpg

The history of this church and meetinghouse goes back to 1653 when, by law, a town could not be established without first having a church. The first minister was Rev. Joseph Rowlandson, whose wife, Mary, made history when she was abducted by Indians in 1675, ransomed 12 weeks later and wrote a book about the ordeal. Her book, The Sovereignty & Goodness of God, Together with the Faithfulness of His Promises Displayed: Being a Narrative of the Captivity and Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson, was published in Cambridge, Mass., in 1682 and became America's first best seller. John Hoar of Concord negotiated Mary’s release at the large , flat-topped granite ledge known as Redemption Rock, shown below.

[IMG]

Conjuring Up A Sunset Scene: When @CinnamonSugar started a thread on favorite childhood songs, that reminded me of the song Canadian Sunset and the summer I spent in an old lumber camp in Canada. The song was a hit around the same time as the camp stay. Having seen plenty of Canadian sunsets that summer, I tried to conjure up such a scene. Below is the result, perhaps best described as 2/3 riding photography and 1/3 art.

pond_sunset-sky2_ai.jpg

Of all the recent pictures I've taken, this one is a favorite.

jun18_2021_hardwick_church1.jpg

I had to do some fancy flying to get this pic. Trees, power lines and wind are not your friend. Fortunately, I was able to get the height and position. The composition and direction of the clouds could not have been better, IMHO.
I think I might buy myself a drone to get those high up scenic pictures...:D

Above Olden Pond: Taken yesterday morning as I was flying the drone in for a landing on the shoreline of an old(en) park pond that was a few blocks from where we last lived.

jun28_2021_shrewsbury_park-pond.jpg

The town's animal control officer must be doing a yeoman's job this year as there were no geese to be seen. When we lived in the town several years ago, the pond was busier than a big city airport and the park was full of geese and their deposits.

Last edited:
Steeplechase: The word originated in Ireland where people raced from one town's steeple to the next one, since they were easy to see given their height and visibility. I've now been known to move, but not race, from one steeple to another, taking photos of the structure the steeple adorns. Sometimes, though, the steeple itself is the object of aerial interest. Such was the case this morning.

jul5_2021_jaffrey-nh_steeple.jpg

Steeplechase: The word originated in Ireland where people raced from one town's steeple to the next one, since they were easy to see given their height and visibility. I've now been known to move, but not race, from one steeple to another, taking photos of the structure the steeple adorns. Sometimes, though, the steeple itself is the object of aerial interest. Such was the case this morning.

jul5_2021_jaffrey-nh_steeple.jpg
Lovely pic.. that drone is doing a great job....I think I might need to get one...:D

Did you notice the top bannister is broken all the way around ?

Lovely pic.. that drone is doing a great job....I think I might need to get one...:D

Did you notice the top bannister is broken all the way around ?
Thank you. II did notice the railing was broken once I get into the air. I am now adding steeples to the objects I collect images of (e.g., trains, planes, cars, old mills, boats, tanks, bridges houses, churches, town halls, etc. etc. etc - all the things little boys never grow out of seeing. :D )

Here’s a pretty steeple from Holland, MI, @JonDouglas View attachment 172379
Thank you @CinnamonSugar! Love that steeple and wish it were closer. When we lived back in the flatlands of IL, my next door neigbor and I used to fly a small plane across Lake Michigan to go lake trout fishing out of Holland Harbor (he had relatives there). Boy, could I have fun with the drone there now. Your post triggered some great memories and I appreciate that also.

For Whom The Bell Tolls: In this case, it would be generations of mill workers, who labored below in the granite building from 1848 to 1970.

jul11_2021_hville_milltower2.jpg

The granite portion of the mill complex shown above and below is known as Cheshire Mill No. 1 and is located in Harrisville, NH. Harrisville may well be the most photographed old mill town in New England, if not the country.

jul11_2021_hville_mill1_sky.jpg

For those who're interested, more pictures of this mill can be found in the Library of Congress photo collection of the mill.

For Whom The Bell Tolls: In this case, it would be generations of mill workers, who labored below in the granite building from 1848 to 1970.

jul11_2021_hville_milltower2.jpg

The granite portion of the mill complex shown above and below is known as Cheshire Mill No. 1 and is located in Harrisville, NH. Harrisville may well be the most photographed old mill town in New England, if not the country.

jul11_2021_hville_mill1_sky.jpg

For those who're interested, more pictures of this mill can be found in the Library of Congress photo collection of the mill.
Is that a flour mill with the bell on top ?... we have many old Mills here in England that look very similar...and most are now converted Homes

Back