Question @Horselesscarriage..re: clothing

@horseless carriage What music do you have in the jukebox?
Mostly interwar period of the 1920's & 30's, there's a good bit of Big Band from the 40's and there's also popular hits from the early 50's.
The musical explosion of the 1960's sort of passed me by. By then I was in my late teens dancing Latin & Ballroom. That earlier music was perfect for dance timing.

Various hats & shirts 003.JPG
This fun shirt was a surprise Christmas present the Christmas before last.
On first appearance you might think that it's a military "camo" style shirt.
Camo being the abbreviated pronunciation of camouflage. Look again,
look closely at the black images. Do you see pin-up models?
Christmas 2021 005.JPG

Eccentric? Nutty as a fruitcake more like. As well as the old car, I have my grandparents radio, it was called a wireless back then. It still works perfectly and we still use it often.
old photos 040.JPG
The phone that the General Post Office, the then, only telephone provider, issued us with. Our first phone in our first home. It's still plugged in and still used. We offer dialing lessons if ever someone asks: "Can I use your phone?"

old photos 044.JPG
The wristwatch that my father gifted me is clockwork, it has to be wound up, that's why it's known as clockwork. It too is still in use.

old photos 410.JPG
My father's youngest brother was my favourite uncle, I remember when growing up, he gifted me a camera, I mean the real deal, rolls of film, handed in for developing, eagerly waiting to see the results. Laughing at all the disaster photos, but doing it all over again. The camera also still works but it has given way to digital technology.

old photos 127.JPG
And that jukebox, it runs on valves, is a sight to behold and was in use at a kind of burger, come coffee bar, somewhere near my college. I bought it very cheaply when the place closed. No need to say that it too works and it's in regular use.

jukebox.JPG

There's the pre-war vintage bicycle a good number of vintage sewing machines, the lady has those in her sewing cabin, and one or two other eccentric items around the place that I could show you from time to time. Eccentric? Too right!

Eccentric? Nutty as a fruitcake more like. As well as the old car, I have my grandparents radio, it was called a wireless back then. It still works perfectly and we still use it often.
View attachment 289755
The phone that the General Post Office, the then, only telephone provider, issued us with. Our first phone in our first home. It's still plugged in and still used. We offer dialing lessons if ever someone asks: "Can I use your phone?"

View attachment 289756
The wristwatch that my father gifted me is clockwork, it has to be wound up, that's why it's known as clockwork. It too is still in use.

View attachment 289759
My father's youngest brother was my favourite uncle, I remember when growing up, he gifted me a camera, I mean the real deal, rolls of film, handed in for developing, eagerly waiting to see the results. Laughing at all the disaster photos, but doing it all over again. The camera also still works but it has given way to digital technology.

View attachment 289757
And that jukebox, it runs on valves, is a sight to behold and was in use at a kind of burger, come coffee bar, somewhere near my college. I bought it very cheaply when the place closed. No need to say that it too works and it's in regular use.

View attachment 289754

There's the pre-war vintage bicycle a good number of vintage sewing machines, the lady has those in her sewing cabin, and one or two other eccentric items around the place that I could show you from time to time. Eccentric? Too right!

Eccentric, no. Normal living when I was a kid. Having no electricity, it was my job to take the accumulator for the wireless to the shop and get it charged up. We had one light, a gas mantle, which never lasted long as they were fragile. The street gaslights were lit by a guy on a bike with a long pole. My stereo was in the form of cylinder records which all started "This is an Edison Bell Record". The only water was cold from a tap down in the basement, and the bedroom had an Anderson Shelter for protection from the bombs.
Later our Burlington Bertie was a character, totally bonkers but entertaining in the 1970s. Keep it up HC

Have you heard of The Zoot Suit? With its super-sized shoulder pads, sprawling lapels and peg leg pants, the Zoot suit grew out of the “drape” suits popular in Harlem dance halls in the mid-1930s. The flowing trousers were tapered at the ankles to prevent Jitterbugging couples from getting tripped up while they twirled. By the ’1940's, the suits were worn by minority men in working-class neighbourhoods throughout the US. Though the Zoot suit would be donned by the likes of Dizzy Gillespie and Louis Armstrong, it was “not a costume or uniform from the world of entertainment,” the Chicago big-band trumpeter and clothier Harold Fox once said. “It came right off the street and out of the ghetto.’’
camera 6 193.JPG
The most noticeable feature of The Zoot suit is the length of the jacket. You can clearly see the length
difference in this photo as I stand next to my friend with his more conventional length jacket.

My original intention was to have the suit made and wear it at vintage period festivals, which I do, but
does it attract attention when worn elsewhere. Al Capone quips come thick and fast. It has proved to
be popular at dances, it arouses curiosity and many a question too.

I tell you what though, it gets seriously hot dancing in it!

View attachment 289755

View attachment 289756

View attachment 289759

View attachment 289757

View attachment 289754

That watch is lovely!

Have you heard of The Zoot Suit? With its super-sized shoulder pads, sprawling lapels and peg leg pants, the Zoot suit grew out of the “drape” suits popular in Harlem dance halls in the mid-1930s. The flowing trousers were tapered at the ankles to prevent Jitterbugging couples from getting tripped up while they twirled. By the ’1940's, the suits were worn by minority men in working-class neighbourhoods throughout the US. Though the Zoot suit would be donned by the likes of Dizzy Gillespie and Louis Armstrong, it was “not a costume or uniform from the world of entertainment,” the Chicago big-band trumpeter and clothier Harold Fox once said. “It came right off the street and out of the ghetto.’’
View attachment 290296
The most noticeable feature of The Zoot suit is the length of the jacket. You can clearly see the length
difference in this photo as I stand next to my friend with his more conventional length jacket.

My original intention was to have the suit made and wear it at vintage period festivals, which I do, but
does it attract attention when worn elsewhere. Al Capone quips come thick and fast. It has proved to

View attachment 290296

Strange that, when my car did the shows, it never pulled old fellas overdressed, more females in mini-skirts. Unforgivable Formula One girls being removed to keep a few prudes happy.
IMG_2908.JPG

View attachment 290424View attachment 290425
The only admirers my car gets it seems is old fellows, which is quite understandable, it's quintessentially an old man's car.
View attachment 290426
Sorry HC, slipped my mind it was a question thread, still finding my way around the forum workings. I cannot remember your model, can you still get spares for it, the reason I parted with my two-seater Sunbeam Alpine? Back in the late 1950s when I had like-minded mates, one had a MG Magnette, was that the model after yours? I had a clapped Consul Convertible,20 miles to the gallon and 20 miles on a pint of commercial reused oil and another friend an MGA. Mind, a person could buy an Austin 7 for a fiver. Yesterday I noticed an MG Fishtail for sale for only £150,000 ha ha and on the way to the hospital noticed two of the new Aston Martins, now they are flash. Where do people find the cash?
A great thread HC

A local village MGA

IMG_4165.JPG

Burgundy blazer 001.JPGBurgundy blazer 005.JPG
This blazer gets many a compliment. When I saw the fabric sample, it's called a swatch, I asked my wife if she thought that I could wear such a vivid red. "Go for it," she said, and added that she had just the fabric to do justice to the jacket. The tailor who made the blazer was mightily impressed with my trousers. You couldn't get better praise than that, eh dear?

So true. Mrs. HC is a rare jewel for many reasons, her tailoring talents among them.
My lady's love of sewing has never diminished, it's been a lifelong passion for her. Some people though find it surprising that she never used her talent by way of employment, the reason for that is twofold. Making things for the pleasure it gives, is altogether different from making things to a deadline, she's experienced that a couple of times when making a bride's dress, along with all the bridesmaid's dresses.

The second reason is her caring personality. That came into sharp focus in the employment that she did choose. My lady's working life was that of a paramedic in the ambulance service. She did everything from dealing with aggressive druggies to stopping the ambulance, on it's way to the maternity hospital, because baby won't wait so she delivered the little one herself. That happened more than once.

My lady's appearance always brought a few remarks. She wore the ambulance uniform of course, but she always wore her hair, her vivid red hair, in a late 1930's style. One young lady doctor was so taken by her appearance, she asked for her help to style her own in a similar fashion. The two became very good friends.

Hi! HC
Hope you are well.
Have another question..re: hand-made clothing
Heard an ad for custom made men's shirt for $195.(US)..
What do you think of that?
How does that compare to UK?😉

My lady's love of sewing has never diminished, it's been a lifelong passion for her. Some people though find it surprising that she never used her talent by way of employment, the reason for that is twofold. Making things for the pleasure it gives, is altogether different from making things to a deadline, she's experienced that a couple of times when making a bride's dress, along with all the bridesmaid's dresses.

The second reason is her caring personality. That came into sharp focus in the employment that she did choose. My lady's working life was that of a paramedic in the ambulance service. She did everything from dealing with aggressive druggies to stopping the ambulance, on it's way to the maternity hospital, because baby won't wait so she delivered the little one herself. That happened more than once.

My lady's appearance always brought a few remarks. She wore the ambulance uniform of course, but she always wore her hair, her vivid red hair, in a late 1930's style. One young lady doctor was so taken by her appearance, she asked for her help to style her own in a similar fashion. The two became very good friends.
There's a new question for you above this post😊

Hi! HC
Hope you are well.
Have another question..re: hand-made clothing
Heard an ad for custom made men's shirt for $195.(US)..
What do you think of that?
How does that compare to UK?😉
It's 6:15am and I really shouldn't be awake. We will be off to a festival later so I won't be around for a day or two. But to answer the question, $195 equals £155. It takes my wife ten hours to make a shirt, start to finish. In the UK the rate an artisan would charge is around the £20 an hour mark. So a new, hand made shirt would be £200, plus the cost of the fabric and interfacing, the notions, that's needle, thread, buttons and so on and the paper pattern. There's also "invisible" costs like, electricity and wear & tear on the sewing machine. It all has to be factored in. $195 sounds like good value. You can of course get much cheaper shirts, it's horses for courses as the saying goes.

TY..so much for that great answer..
and enjoy your adventure.

Back