Racism and Racists

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just feel that in this country, America ..... American English should be the dominate language ... period. If I were to move to a different country ..... The first thing I would do, is my level best to learn that language. I would not expect them to learn mine.

I agree. If a person chooses to move to another country, they should make every effort to learn that nations language, and adhere to it's customs and laws.

When I went to Germany, while in the AF, I started taking German classes, on base, and within a few weeks, I felt fairly comfortable venturing into the local towns, and trying to communicate with the Germans in their own language. Being able to "assimilate" with the locals greatly enhanced my ability to enjoy all the sights and experiences of the European nations.

I sense a lot of fear in some of these posts.

Are "They" going to take over? Will "They" treat us as badly as we treated "Them"?

Yes, "They" are going to take over. The majority of humans have dark skin. Many of them are poor. Poor people tend to have large families. White families tend to be small. White people are already a minority and that trend will continue.

It might be a good idea to start making friends now.

I sense a lot of fear in some of these posts.

Are "They" going to take over? Will "They" treat us as badly as we treated "Them"?

Yes, "They" are going to take over. The majority of humans have dark skin. Many of them are poor. Poor people tend to have large families. White families tend to be small. White people are already a minority and that trend will continue.

It might be a good idea to start making friends now.

WoW ! ......... What you just said/posted ......... my dad said to me years ago ....... many years ago when I was but a teenager. It's almost identical.

He went on to say ......... some day the worlds people will be brown ....... we'd better learn to get along.

I agree. If a person chooses to move to another country, they should make every effort to learn that nations language, and adhere to it's customs and laws.

When I went to Germany, while in the AF, I started taking German classes, on base, and within a few weeks, I felt fairly comfortable venturing into the local towns, and trying to communicate with the Germans in their own language. Being able to "assimilate" with the locals greatly enhanced my ability to enjoy all the sights and experiences of the European nations.

We spend a lot of time in France and have taken courses, including a couple of weeks at a total immersion school in the Loire Valley. The French (at least outside Paris) do seem to appreciate the effort to learn the language, even if our fluency leaves something to be desired.

As far as languages: English is already a mish mash of languages, and it changes all the time. That will continue.

It's natural for immigrants to cluster together and use their native tongues. But, they know it is to their advantage to adapt to the language of their new country, and most will try. By the second or third generation, many don't even understand their ancestors' speech.

Here in California, Spanish is becoming more common. No doubt Spanglish will develop. We will get used to it. At least the young will.

American citizens are famous for their inability and/or unwillingness to learn other languages. I think a lot of it has to do with teaching methods here. Children are drilled on grammar, verb conjugations, etc. without ever learning how much fun it is to speak the language. The way to learn is through immersion, jumping in, and then learning the rules later.

I took three years of high school Spanish and learned nothing other than "No me le gusto albondegas." But through reading newspapers, speaking with native speakers, travel, etc. , I learned enough to get around quite easily.

American citizens are famous for their inability and/or unwillingness to learn other languages. I think a lot of it has to do with teaching methods here. Children are drilled on grammar, verb conjugations, etc. without ever learning how much fun it is to speak the language. The way to learn is through immersion, jumping in, and then learning the rules later.

I took three years of high school Spanish and learned nothing other than "No me le gusto albondegas." But through reading newspapers, speaking with native speakers, travel, etc. , I learned enough to get around quite easily.

"American citizens are famous for their inability and/or unwillingness to learn other languages."

Well, frankly why should we ? We live here , we shouldn't need to learn/use another language, and if we choose not indulge in one ..... so what ?

Speaking only for myself, if for example I were to take a job that required foreign travel ...... then I would start learning the language of the countries I might be working in.

But since I never did , or had any other reason I chose not too.

Does that make me the ugly American ?

I speak the language of my birth ....... in the country of my birth.

I offer no apologies.

"American citizens are famous for their inability and/or unwillingness to learn other languages."

Well, frankly why should we ? We live here , we shouldn't need to learn/use another language, and if we choose not indulge in one ..... so what ?

Speaking only for myself, if for example I were to take a job that required foreign travel ...... then I would start learning the language of the countries I might be working in.

But since I never did , or had any other reason I chose not too.

Does that make me the ugly American ?

I speak the language of my birth ....... in the country of my birth.

I offer no apologies.

No apology needed. There is no need to learn another language. It's enjoyable, especially when you travel for pleasure.

In some countries (like Greece and the Netherlands) everybody really does speak English. That's good because I'll be darned if I'm going to spend any time learning Dutch.

My comment was a criticism of the way languages are taught here, nothing more.

As far as languages: English is already a mish mash of languages, and it changes all the time. That will continue.

It's natural for immigrants to cluster together and use their native tongues. But, they know it is to their advantage to adapt to the language of their new country, and most will try. By the second or third generation, many don't even understand their ancestors' speech.

Here in California, Spanish is becoming more common. No doubt Spanglish will develop. We will get used to it. At least the young will.
During a period of time when I lived there, an elementary school where one of my children attended offered voluntary bilingual education classes. (side note: years later, I heard one of your governors- Gray somebody- wanted to eliminate this.. didn't hear whether he succeeded or not.)
It turned out, though, that it wasn't for the purpose of teaching Hispanic children English- the only language most of them knew was English! it was for any children who wanted to learn Spanish.

In contrast, in another area (not CA), everyday school business was conducted in Spanish.. putting kids who only knew English at quite a disadvantage.
Not long ago, I was curious and checked- only around 40% of the students at that school are fluent in English.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back