Racism and Racists

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the United States, in the era between Martin Luther King and Barrack Obama, black citizens integrated into American society and reached the pinnacles of success in business, education, sports, music and government, all the way to the White House. Now however we’re in an era of tribalism, where various ethnic groups promote their tribe above everyone else and go to extremes to be different and disrespect the government. Some of this is due to influences from outside the country who want the U.S. to become a warring Tower of Babel, and some of it is due to white people with a misplaced sense of paternalism and guilt who tolerate anything from ethnic groups and don’t encourage or recognize the value of responsibility, accountability, unity and equality from everyone, including ethnic groups. This leaves the U.S. ripe for the take over by countries like China who don’t have ethnic problems because they don’t tolerate them.

In the United States, in the era between Martin Luther King and Barrack Obama, black citizens integrated into American society and reached the pinnacles of success in business, education, sports, music and government, all the way to the White House. Now however we’re in an era of tribalism, where various ethnic groups promote their tribe above everyone else and go to extremes to be different and disrespect the government. Some of this is due to influences from outside the country who want the U.S. to become a warring Tower of Babel, and some of it is due to white people with a misplaced sense of paternalism and guilt who tolerate anything from ethnic groups and don’t encourage or recognize the value of responsibility, accountability, unity and equality from everyone, including ethnic groups. This leaves the U.S. ripe for the take over by countries like China who don’t have ethnic problems because they don’t tolerate them.
"Multiculturalism" and "diversity education"- teaching "everybody is DIFFERENT!!" :mad:
and these are the results we're getting... :(

There's no such thing as an American- we're all reduced to hyphens...

There's no such thing as an American- we're all reduced to hyphens...
As an Irish-Scottish-British-Welch-Swiss German-Neanderthal-American I kind of like the diversity and differences, makes this a more interesting place.

And we are all Americans, that's more important than what's to the left of the hyphens...

Last edited:
Nope, not perfect. But I wouldn't justify anything as ignorant as racism.

So once again ........ no one can have a different opinon from yours ? And when they do .... they're just wrong ? ....... And you can't see that as a tad self centered & self aggrandizing ?

Well, this has been an interesting read. Do you think we will ever start judging each other as individuals rather than stereotypes? It’s a sad commentary on human nature that we don’t.

The whole idea of race is strange. We don’t use it for other animals. Dogs and horses have breeds. When we talk about the human race, don’t we mean everybody? If you mix races, does that make a new race? A fellow I knew was part Portuguese, Japanese, and Native Hawaiian. What race is he? He married a girl who is half Mexican and half German. What are their kids?

Do we confuse race and culture? If a person with Chinese ancestors is born and raised in the U.S., are they Chinese even if they can’t use chopsticks? They would be a stranger in China. Would you consider them one of us or one of them?

So once again ........ no one can have a different opinon from yours ? And when they do .... they're just wrong ? ....... And you can't see that as a tad self centered & self aggrandizing ?
Racism & hatred are not opinions. They are serious character flaws, and indications of ignorance, stupidity & really low I.Q.
And.........."Opinons?"

I come from a multicultural country. Racism rears its ugly head here as well. Our treatment of Indigenous people bears witness to that. However, we are comfortable with the idea that people can maintain their heritage and still be a part of Canada. Trudeau once mentioned that Canada is an idea rather than an ethnicity. That resonates with me.

Well, this has been an interesting read. Do you think we will ever start judging each other as individuals rather than stereotypes? It’s a sad commentary on human nature that we don’t.

The whole idea of race is strange. We don’t use it for other animals. Dogs and horses have breeds. When we talk about the human race, don’t we mean everybody? If you mix races, does that make a new race? A fellow I knew was part Portuguese, Japanese, and Native Hawaiian. What race is he? He married a girl who is half Mexican and half German. What are their kids?

Do we confuse race and culture? If a person with Chinese ancestors is born and raised in the U.S., are they Chinese even if they can’t use chopsticks? They would be a stranger in China. Would you consider them one of us or one of them?
Race is a genetic inheritance. With it comes a variety of genetic attributes, various shades of skin color being only one, and needless to say genes can to a certain degree be somewhat a roll of the dice. If you want to know more, I suggest you explore the Internet, lest this discussion get unpleasant.

Race is a genetic inheritance. With it comes a variety of genetic attributes, various shades of skin color being only one, and needless to say genes can to a certain degree be somewhat a roll of the dice. If you want to know more, I suggest you explore the Internet, lest this discussion get unpleasant.
I don't even understand your response. My partner is Filipino. He grew up in the US and is a US citizen. His command of the English language is better than mine. "A roll of the dice"? His family assimilated into the US in the 60's. What are you trying to say because I don't even understand it.

I think @Grampa Don's response is spot on. If you "want to get unpleasant", let me know what you are even talking about and I will be happy to respond. Hopefully I am misinterpreting your reply.

I don't even understand your response. My partner is Filipino. He grew up in the US and is a US citizen. His command of the English language is better than mine. "A roll of the dice"? His family assimilated into the US in the 60's. What are you trying to say because I don't even understand it.

I think @Grampa Don's response is spot on. If you "want to get unpleasant", let me know what you are even talking about and I will be happy to respond. Hopefully I am misinterpreting your reply.
This is a subject capable of generating endless heated arguments. If you and Grampa want to know more about race and genetics there is ample information available on the Internet. Go read about it.

Instead of providing vague responses, why don't you guide us to the information on the internet? I am always open to learn when someone makes a valid point. I have frequently enjoyed your posts so I am just trying to understand where you are coming from on this subject. I may have interpreted your response completely wrong.

Last edited:

These and similar questions are ones I've often asked myself too...

Racism & hatred are not opinions. They are serious character flaws, and indications of ignorance, stupidity & really low I.Q.
And.........."Opinons?"
There are certain folks I just avoid ..... as I do not care for them. If that makes me ignorant, stupid, and indicates that I may have a low IQ.

Since you obviously do not care for me .......... by your 'opinion' above, you are guilty of the exact same things you accuse me of.

As far as I'm concerned race doesn't exist and I wish we'd quit labeling people that way.

Anthropologists have been telling us for years that there are no essential differences from one group to another. The names of races and their descriptions were invented by early European explorers who liked to think everyone they encountered was inferior in some way. According to their narrow minded view people with slight differences in skin color were exaggerated into redskins or yellow and everyone from Chinese to the African was a "savage."

There was never any real difference except that thousands of years ago the people with very dark skin who migrated north were unable to absorb enough vitamin D through the sparse sunlight and so they died out and the best survivors were the lightest skins. Even today the people in America who call themselves black are much lighter than Africans. Time and intermarriage has made it harder and harder to say what "race" anyone is and I think that's a good thing.

I hope some day we can all just be humans.

Interesting question.

The treatment of black people in the US South was as bad as, maybe wore than South Africa's apartheid. The difference is that black people in South Africa were very much in the majority, so with the coming of democracy they took power. In the US blacks still represent a minority, in most places, all states I think. So their ability to implement some of the policies we see in South Africa is limited, I don't think it will much happen.

Well, yes and no. Merit based education, or lack thereof, can look a lot like race based discrimination (although it is not) and is a big issue for some, particularly Asian Americans who support the practice. For instance, San Francisco has a high school, Lowell High, focused on college admissions and the best students in the city. Admissions were merit based without regard to race. This resulted in a heavily Asian student body. The Black community was outraged. The reaction was to switch to race based admissions focused on increasing Black membership. This resulted in a lawsuit filed by Chinese parents. The parents won, but similar issues abound around the country, much to the dismay of an Asian community that is feeling discriminated against - perhaps with good reason.
Colleges and universities are facing the same problem of "too many Asians." And in NYC, the famous magnet high schools are changing their admissions policies for the same reason.

Colleges and universities are facing the same problem of "too many Asians." And in NYC, the famous magnet high schools are changing their admissions policies for the same reason.
Now that di Blasio is finally out there may be changes to his change. I sure hope so.

Now that di Blasio is finally out there may be changes to his change. I sure hope so.
You mean he's not getting your support for Governor?

I will miss de Blasio. He was the only thing my son and I agreed on politically. We both agreed he is an idiot.

Before anybody jumps on this, let me tell you that I was
brought up for some years in India, when I was young,
all my friends were the local village children and I spoke
their language, as far as I am concerned I am "Colour Blind",
when it comes to people, we are all humans.

Back to racism, I have noticed here in the UK, more specifically,
in England, that all or most accusations of racial abuse are aimed
a white people, by Asian or Black people, very few go the other
way and I have wondered why, is it revenge against a bad boss,
or is it envy against a rich man, or is it because we here are all
a bit soft towards others, this has intrigued me for some time.

Am I completely out of order, or not looking deep enough, I am
aware that I don't know too much about the reasons for this
imbalance.

Is it the same in your Country?

Mike.
Yes, whites are being abused here in US too. The CRT being taught and the new Woke Generation is leading to, if you are not white and average, you will be abused.

Irkcilik-karsiti-scaled.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back