Reflections of My Life

well clearly they're not paying attention to your set-up. 15 hours in that small space would be like having someone move in permanently.. not a chance .. and as you say, you're not feeble.. so a couple of hours a week would be plenty enough to get those jobs done that are a little more challenging for you..
I think I will stick to just doing them myself. I figure it is good for me. I told her I would be uncomfortable with someone else for that long every day. Yuck! And she still tried to get me to at least talk to the aide. Not doing that. So when some of these aides start working for someone like me, I think they would consider it an easy job and sit around talking all day. I am quiet in person. I talk here. And on my blog.

I totally agree with you that having someone in your apartment for 5 hours, 3 days a week would be intrusive when you can do just about everything for yourself.

However, if accepting one gives you your dental work paid for, it might be doable for you until you have your dental completed.

Keep in mind that the aide does not need to be in your apartment that whole time. She can go to the grocery store for you, (pick one with long lines;)), do laundry (sheets and towels, I wouldn't want someone doing my clothing), change the sheets, clean bathroom & kitchen.

You can also just let her go home a little early each time. Something to think about if the tradeoff is your dental bills get paid.

This morning I got up early and transferred my writing files and files that are saved articles on my old external hard drive to the computer. Slowly I will read them and see if I want to keep them or delete them. If I want them I will put them on the newer external hard drive. It has not been easy to get this point but I feel like I am almost on top of the mountain, so to speak. On my way to becoming a computer nerd at last!

Now I am working on my new blog post. It is about my computer. Since I cannot go on fakebook I am spending my time on more productive pursuits. One is my blog. I am redesigning it a bit and then going to other blogs that fit my blog so I can network with those writers. I used to do this all the time when it was called Homesteading on the Internet. Back then I even had people travel from other states to visit me and my homestead. I am proud of some of those young people who have become quite successful over the years. But now is now and my life has changed. Have to accept changes and go on. Not getting in a rut.

I am working on the computer again this morning. Honestly, I am not sure if it because I am not on fakebook or because I am now sitting at the portable table in my very comfortable chair that I am on it more. In between what I am doing on the computer, I am vacuuming and doing other cleaning jobs.

I read that if you use an air purifier, it needs to be in the center of the room or at least not close to the walls. And not on the floor. So I had stuck it in a corner and was not using it. Today since the computer is not on my dining table any more, I put the air purifier in the center of it (for today only). Rabbit will not have to worry about the electric wire, not that he has ever touched one,,,,,,,,but you never know.

I love listening to music during the day on my CD players (yes, I have two.......one for back up since the first one will just start messing up the CD, then I switch to the other one). Mostly I am a classic rock lover, but I love all kinds of music. Why limit yourself? During the years on my homestead, when I needed money I sold most of my CDs and record albums. Since about two years before I moved here, I started ordering new CDs since I could play my boom box with batteries. It started putting me in a better frame of mind when I had a tough day.

Last night I watched for the 2nd time the documentary about Alan Jackson. He was the one country music star that I totally loved. I could listen to him all day. But I had sold my collection of his CDs. So I ordered one from Amazon last night. It should be here tomorrow and I am looking forward to it. I think I like the kind of country music that is distinct from the new kind that crosses over to pop. I am the same way about gospel. I love going to a church that sings the old time hymns not the newer versions. I like changes at times but not forever.

Tuesday when I went out to eat with Sonny, we had meatloaf with mashed potatoes and gravy. No bread or anything like that came with the meal. Then we got ice cream later. It was the first time in a long time that I had potatoes and obviously it was not a low carb meal. I thought it hadn't affected me. Wednesday I was fine. Then yesterday afternoon, I started not feeling so good. Been up since two this morning and just starting to feel better (many trips to the potty). Something like this always reaffirms my faith in eating low carbs/keto. I guess I will just have to make my own keto meatloaf.

I just might go back to bed. I had my three cups of coffee but do not feel awake yet.

It rained off and on all day today. Still was hot. I did go out to the dumpster and came right back. Too hot to walk anywhere. I hope it does not rain tomorrow because I want to get some things out of my storage area. I kept talking about doing that but never got to it all summer. Now is the time! I have a bunch of boxes that things I bought were shipped in from Amazon and Walmart. So big ones. Need to get them in the dumpster.

Today I tried on the pants I use to check my weight and they fit almost perfect now. I am so thankful! I just keep doing what I am doing and don't stress myself by getting on a scale. As 2 Krazy Ketos say, "the scale is the devil and the mirror is a liar!" ha ha. Now I am to the point where I am not logging in every bit of food I eat. I know what the carb count is on most of the regular food I eat. I do not snack or buy keto processed foods because they usually are not really keto friendly foods. Just manufacturers trying to trick us.

Now I guess I will turn on the television and watch a movie or something.

When you live in an apartment building such as I do (senior housing) the apartments, even the two bedroom ones are small. There isn't much room for guests. Our city does not have any decent hotels or motels for your family members to stay at while they visit for a few days or so. The hotel up a couple of blocks does not have a good reputation nor does the other two motels. This is due to Social Services putting people in these places if they suddenly lose their apartments and are evicted.

Recently our city won this huge million dollar grant from the state that is to be used for beautifying the city only. One of the projects under discussion is to transform an old bank building into an upscale hotel for guests that come here. On their fakebook page most people were upset that it wasn't being considered for a homeless shelter. Yet there are those that were being used by Social Services already and when guests did come here they didn't want to stay there. They would drive to the next large city and just drive back and forth.

Today I am washing some of my laundry in my apartment by hand. I do not want to get behind on it and can't use the laundry room presently. Another tenant here, did his laundry and had bedbugs............and I mean a lot of them. They showed up in the lint filter on the dryer. So until the bug guy can get here........hopefully on Monday, nobody is stepping a foot in that laundry room. I am being super careful. I sprinkle peppermint essential oil full strength outside my apartment door. It helps prevent any that are trying to crawl in. I am right across from the elevator so need to be aware at all times.

That is why I am careful about what and where I buy or get things from. I vacuum about twice a week but might move up to daily. One of my friends who drives a taxi said he sees them jump off a customer right onto the seat! So they can come from anywhere. Clutter makes it hard to get them if you need to be sprayed for them. I have been limiting clutter for a long time now. The spray they use here is an organic one and is safe for people and pets. It makes shiny spots on the wall but I never wipe it off. It works really good too. So hope they get here on Monday.

I worked all day yesterday on music players for my computer. Finally I think I have one that will work. I don't need anything too complicated. I just wanted to be able to download music I have purchased (on CDs) from Amazon that also gives you free mp3 files with it. I want to be able to take the player with me when I go to the park. I hadn't been using it when I went for walks at my house because it was silent except for the birds. I loved the silence. Here I am hearing traffic and would rather listen to music.

Today was my parents' 80th wedding anniversary. They got married in Orlando because my father was in the service. They had planned on getting married in New Orleans because my mother took the train from NY to New Orleans and they bought Mom's wedding ring (I have the receipt) but before they got married Daddy was transferred to Orlando. So Mom went back to NY and then after a few weeks went to Orlando. They loved living in FL and Mom took a lot of photos that I have that showed what a happy life they were living there.

Mom_Daddy_1942.jpg
1942 Orlando, FL

vogue.jpg
The Vogue Theater in Orlando, FL where my mother worked in 1942.

Yesterday the lady called me who does a telehealth check for Fidilis Care so this time I talked to her and answered her questions. What can it hurt? If they still want me to have an aide, maybe there is a way to just use one till I get all my dental and vision taken care of. I want to change doctors to one nearby so when I want to go to one it is not such a big deal. The one I am thinking of is nearby and one friend thinks she is a terrible doctor and two other friends use her and like her. So I might take a chance with her anyway. Not like I go to one all the time.

I think I finally got all my music out of the old external hard drive this morning. Then I will copy it onto my mp3 player. I am pretty happy that I was able to do this. It used to be that I could not do these technical things myself. Now I am not sure how I was able to do it but I had to spend time on it so maybe that made the difference. Next I will attempt my phone.........

Today was my parents' 80th wedding anniversary. They got married in Orlando because my father was in the service. They had planned on getting married in New Orleans because my mother took the train from NY to New Orleans and they bought Mom's wedding ring (I have the receipt) but before they got married Daddy was transferred to Orlando. So Mom went back to NY and then after a few weeks went to Orlando. They loved living in FL and Mom took a lot of photos that I have that showed what a happy life they were living there.

View attachment 236666
1942 Orlando, FL

View attachment 236667
The Vogue Theater in Orlando, FL where my mother worked in 1942.

Don't get an aide if you don't want one, they are only thinking of the money. Don't let them push you around!
I’m just the opposite! 🤭

As long as you qualify, use the system to get all of the benefits that you are entitled to.

Play the game, answer the questions, and accept the aide if it helps smooth the way for the benefits that are important to you.

I’m just the opposite! 🤭

As long as you qualify, use the system to get all of the benefits that you are entitled to.

Play the game, answer the questions, and accept the aide if it helps smooth the way for the benefits that are important to you.
That is what I was thinking. In fact, the woman from the agency said that same thing to me.

I don't get it. It sounds like blackmail.
It does, I know. The lady from the agency explained to me that some of the health insurance companies make these rules and if you don't accept them then they won't cover the things you really need. I really need the dental work so I told her I will give the aide a chance and see how it goes. I can always change my mind later. I am in agony over the dental problems.

Today I found a story in my computer that I could not access because I didn't have Libre Office. Now that I have it, I am looking through a lot of my documents. All day till I left to go shopping, I was reading it. I couldn't believe I actually wrote this. In different parts of the story, it brought tears to my eyes and it is fiction not anything true. Since we did not have television or anything, not even music for a long time, I wrote all the time. Not just a journal but stories. Some I made up and some were almost true things that I made to look like it wasn't really me.

I had to finally put it away for tonight. I will get back to it tomorrow. Not doing anything with it but I may print it out so I have a hard copy of it.

you don't accept them then they won't cover the things you really need.
That certainly does not sound like what our health care system is supposed to be like. Though with 40 + yrs of working in the system, nothing surprises me anymore. The main thing is that you receive the services you need to stay healthy. Dental care is so important to your entire body.

Last edited:
That certainly does not sound like what are health care system is supposed to be like. Though with 40 + yrs of working in the system, nothing surprises me anymore. The main thing is that you receive the services you need to stay healthy. Dental care is so important to your entire body.
Yes, but unfortunately I lived for over 20 years with no medical or dental services. We just did not have money for that. Of course, my husband had money for 2 Harleys and a big truck that I could not drive. I didn't have a vehicle, though I did have horses. When I moved here I was able to start getting things I needed. The first dentist I went to did not do a very good job and I was too frightened to go back. I am hoping to get these out and get partial dentures soon.

I am hoping to get an eye exam and new glasses as well. So have to bend for these people.

Today I have been fairly busy. Took a trip out to the dumpster, paid my rent and then got my mail. I was able to get a more than twenty pennysavers out of the trash can by the mailbox. The new ones arrived and the ones from last week are thrown out. I got them for Rabbit's cage. I just cleaned Rabbit's cage and then made the Snickerdoodle ice cream in the Creami. So good! Cools me off good! (freezing right now!!!)

I can't believe there are people who live here in my building who hate it here. Why do they stay? No matter what they tell me about why they hate it here, I don't. I am pretty happy in my apartment. Yes, it is not the same as owning your own house. There are rules and things you have to follow. But that is the same reason there are laws. Otherwise it would be horrible to live somewhere with no rules or regulations.

Of course, there are people who complain there is nothing to do. Well don't tell me that. I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I plan on doing. Like today, I planned on doing laundry downstairs but ran out of time. Now I am back on the computer and after checking out what my SF friends are up to I plan on writing more on my story. I have over 300 pages written now. I would have never recovered this story if it wasn't for fakebook banning me. I am quite happy about it now. Just like they say, "every cloud has a silver lining". Sometimes you have to look for it.

Even though I worked as a CNA and took care of many people with Dementia, that was years ago now. Things have changed since then. So I have been learning about it. Learning how to talk to them so we can have a meaningful conversations. One thing that seems to be important is the differences in short term memory and long term memory. Short term memory is what they are losing or have lost. So if I keep my conversation centered on the long term memory it is easier for them.

I remember how when I cared for my residents in the nursing homes that they could tell you all about their childhood but had no idea what they did an hour ago. Now it is beginning to make sense to me. Music is also a key for them. So I am making a mp3 player with songs on it that she can listen to. Music goes to almost every cell of the brain. That is why for myself, it relaxes me and puts me in a good mood. I listen it almost daily. Chores are not bad when you are listening to music while you do them.

Back