Retired and seeking information on next steps

Hello everyone and thank you for your time and interest. We are Jeff & Leonora.
We are both recently retired and are working our "plan"........which, right now, involves getting used to sitting around the house because travel plans have been put on hold due to pandemic limitations.
We live in Florida so we look forward to enjoying some nice weather and we do have a nice motor home to scoot around in, but it's a bit hot to be doing much RV'ing right now in this July heat. We have a lot of RV'ing planned beginning October.
Coming from careers where we both worked long, hard, demanding hours, we're scratching our heads suddenly faced with all these hours to fill during the day.
I'm sure it'll come to us as we settle in for "the time of our lives!!!"
Look forward to some dialogue.............

Hey Jeff, welcome!

Destin is a great place to live, I am sure you will enjoy your retirement there. I have been going to Destin off and on since I was a kid, in those days it was a small fishing village with no condos, motels, or much of anything... except the water! I lived in Florida a long time, grew up in Dunedin, but more recently lived on Alligator Point (Franklin Co, a couple of hours east of you).

What kind of RV do you have? Any idea as to where you want to go or what you want to do with it?

Hey Jeff, welcome!

Destin is a great place to live, I am sure you will enjoy your retirement there. I have been going to Destin off and on since I was a kid, in those days it was a small fishing village with no condos, motels, or much of anything... except the water! I lived in Florida a long time, grew up in Dunedin, but more recently lived on Alligator Point (Franklin Co, a couple of hours east of you).

What kind of RV do you have? Any idea as to where you want to go or what you want to do with it?
Hello there Alligatorbob & thanks for the welcome.
We've actually lived and worked in this area since 1982 though our work has seen us in and out of the area on and off over the years as we've worked hospitals from Jacksonville to Pensacola.
We've got a 2019 Thor Vegas 24' motorhome. Nothing big. Just enough room for the two of us. And we tow a Honda CRV.
We've done a few trips around the panhandle and up into the Smokies and hoping to go a bit further once things cool down in October.
Maybe even a trip to the Grand Canyon & Yellowstone one day!
Thanks for reaching out. :)

Hello Jeff, welcome to retirement, 😄 For the first few months of mine, not having to rush off to work was a real bonus. A few months down the track and I was feeling somewhat bored, so bought a laptop to learn the ropes and chat with others. My first project was researching my genealogy which has taken a lot of my time over the years but very rewarding. Enjoy your rv when you can.

Welcome, Jeff and Leonora! There are lots of retirees on the forum, and a lot of info about retirement. Quite a few Floridians here, so, you are not alone. Many people from different countries, which makes things very interesting.

I'm in Toronto ..
toronto gif.gif

Hello Jeff, welcome to retirement, 😄 For the first few months of mine, not having to rush off to work was a real bonus. A few months down the track and I was feeling somewhat bored, so bought a laptop to learn the ropes and chat with others. My first project was researching my genealogy which has taken a lot of my time over the years but very rewarding. Enjoy your rv when you can.
Thanks Bellbird, We're excited about our new found freedom from that early morning alarm.
Genealogy.......interesting. I'm sure there's a few skeletons to be found in the closet! Sounds like fun.

Hi Jeff and Leonora!

full

Hello to you both and welcome to Senior Forums. You will both enjoy the forum. My husband retired a little over a year ago and was climbing walls for a couple of months thereafter; he finally settled down and is enjoying his favorite past time ~ reading. He's so bored, that he is even pulling weeds from our neighbor's yard. lol Enjoy your retirement! ☮️

Last edited:
Hello there Sea Breeze. Beautiful picture? Your backyard?
Thanks Jeff! I wish it was my backyard behind our home, but close enough. It's Lake Tiago here in Colorado, one of the many places we camped at years ago. We don't have an RV like you, but a popup in our truck that's just the right size for us and our furkids. Nothing beats getting out in nature. :cool:

Hello to you both and welcome to Senior Forums. You will both enjoy the forum. My husband retired a little over a year ago and was climbing walls for a couple of months thereafter; he finally settled down and is enjoying his favorite past time ~ reading. He's so bored, that he is even pulling weeds from our neighbor's home. lol Enjoy your retirement! ☮️
Dang.....I wish we were neighbors right now!

Thanks Jeff! I wish it was my backyard behind our home, but close enough. It's Lake Tiago here in Colorado, one of the many places we camped at years ago. We don't have an RV like you, but a popup in our truck that's just the right size for us and our furkids. Nothing beats getting out in nature. :cool:
Leonora and I camped out of our truck bed for many years. Some of the best times we ever spent out in the sticks.
But, times change and we get older and we hurt more..... but we still want to get out and see the country. So, we'll see how the motorhome works for us. ;)

Leonora and I camped out of our truck bed for many years. Some of the best times we ever spent out in the sticks.
But, times change and we get older and we hurt more..... but we still want to get out and see the country. So, we'll see how the motorhome works for us. ;)
When we were young, we either camped in a tent or sometimes slept in the bed of the pickup with a shell. But the popup we have now has a bed, fridge, propane stove, 40 gal fresh water tank, etc. Enough for us old folks to be comfortable for a few weeks. We go on dirt roads away from people, never at campgrounds, so it's convenient to just have the truck, not a bigger vehicle or trailer.

Hello there Alligatorbob & thanks for the welcome.
We've actually lived and worked in this area since 1982 though our work has seen us in and out of the area on and off over the years as we've worked hospitals from Jacksonville to Pensacola.
We've got a 2019 Thor Vegas 24' motorhome. Nothing big. Just enough room for the two of us. And we tow a Honda CRV.
We've done a few trips around the panhandle and up into the Smokies and hoping to go a bit further once things cool down in October.
Maybe even a trip to the Grand Canyon & Yellowstone one day!
Thanks for reaching out. :)
Welcome to the forum. My son is in Yellowstone right now. He goes about once a year but he does not have a motorhome. He has a jeep and a tent 😂.

Back