Ripe for pies...

Thanks for that @debodun. One of these days when I feel like baking something, I'm gonna try it Never had it sweet, only as a side or a veggie dish

Even though I’m really fussy about the quality of a pumpkin pie, I will give Costco’s a reasonable pass. Just add some really good French vanilla ice cream or real whipped cream, these pies are good.

I would imagine the strawberries and raspberries would make it sweeter too, right?
Isn't rhubarb kind of tangy/sour?
Rhubarb is still dominant. I do like it and probably the ice cream helps. Years ago I used to make stewed rhubarb when I had lots of it growing in my garden. It’s probably an acquired taste. I make a great rhubarb lava cake that gets devoured whenever I make it.

If I am lucky enough to get some green tomatoes, I made a slight variation in the preparation of the tomatoes. Instead of making slices, I cut them in small cubes. That makes it easier to slice IMO. I haven't make it in quite a while, though. Also put something under the pie like a sheet of foil on a lower rack while it bakes since this pie has a tendency to boil over.

Back