Road trip! Where would you go?

A
Uh, . . . ALASKA! That might be a little way away for you though! I spent about a year traveling solo up there but I slept in the back of my Forunner at the time. Don't recommend sleeping out because of the grizzlies! (You can shower anywhere 50 cents a day)
Iloved Alaska so much! I don't even know what I'm doing here in the lower 48!
Yellowstone is wonderful!
Glacier Park is incomparably beautiful but very crowded!
I've camped out in Mexico on the beach but I wouldn't recommend it the way things are now! If you do Mexico, go all the way to Baja.
(way, way down the coast) Wow! I don't know!
I don't think you need a destination. Just GO and see where the road takes you! THAT'S WHAT'S FUN!

There are so many I've done and so many I'd still like to do. Scotland, starting in Edinburgh and traveling through the Highlands and islands and ending up on Islay (pronounced eye-la) where I could sample some of my favorite single malt whisky

I've done the Amalfi Coast, but now that I am reading about the Land's End to John O'Groats trip, I'd love that if I were about 20 or 30 years younger. There are people my age who have done it more than once, but they were fit and it was something they readied themselves for. There was an exception or 2 and it worked out fine, but I'd have to do it by auto and that's not what I'd want for such a trip. The Amalfi Coast we did by car, but it was a necessity, I can assure you. Heavenly.

I also did a cross country and back trip here in the U.S., but we were somewhat pressed for time, as had to be back East for a weddding, so did not see everything that we could have. I had seen a lot more when I was in the Air Force by taking hops on my time off all over the place. Both here and in Europe.

I've done the Amalfi Coast, but now that I am reading about the Land's End to John O'Groats trip, I'd love that if I were about 20 or 30 years younger. There are people my age who have done it more than once, but they were fit and it was something they readied themselves for. There was an exception or 2 and it worked out fine, but I'd have to do it by auto and that's not what I'd want for such a trip. The Amalfi Coast we did by car, but it was a necessity, I can assure you. Heavenly.
Lew, I've done loads of roadtrips on my own in my wheelchair. Well I had my wheelchair in the car of course 😄 I'm sure you could still manage

I'm ready to drive the 1700 miles to see my kids and grandkids in Colorado! I just retired so hopefully this summer. I cannot wear "the mask" for all of the airport and airplane hours and hours so driving is all there is right now.

I'm ready to drive the 1700 miles to see my kids and grandkids in Colorado! I just retired so hopefully this summer. I cannot wear "the mask" for all of the airport and airplane hours and hours so driving is all there is right now.
Is that one way? That's a big trip, how many days do you reckon you'll need?

Is that one way? That's a big trip, how many days do you reckon you'll need?
That is one way but I just mapped it and it is only 1300 miles so "only" 2600 miles round trip! :eek: We did the trip once in 2016 and it took us about 22 total hours. I am on the Oregon Coast so we would go all the way east through the entire state, into Idaho and across that state, into the top part of Utah, then halfway through Wyoming and drop down into the northern part of Colorado. That time we did 10 to 12 hours of driving for 2 days and spent the night in Twin Falls Idaho which is roughly halfway. That time I was working and we only had a week but this time we can drive 2 days, stay a week, and drive 2 days home. Or we can take longer if we need too.

We have traveled through much of the country over the years. Perhaps the nicest trip we ever took was a nice 2 week drive through Central and Western Canada. There is a "triangle" from Banff, to Kamloops to Edmonton that has some of the most scenic mountain country in N. America....and I grew up in Denver, spending quite a bit of time in the Rockies. If you ever visit that area, be very careful, as there are always Elk, and Mountain Sheep who seem to think the highways were built for them.

There are so many wonderful places to visit, that a person would have to spend half their life traveling, to see them all.
I have always loved our trips up to western BC! It might be time to plan a new road trip up there now that I am retired. We have kids in the Loveland/Fort Collins area so have made some excellent road trips into the Rockies! We have photos of an elk herd wandering through Estes Park. Do not get out of your vehicle if you are there and see these BIG beautiful elk!

I'm not much of a traveler but we did go across the country twice to visit my daughter when she lived in Oregon. It would be nice to see the Redwoods again and maybe get out to walk on more of the side trails. I thought those trees were very humbling and impressive.
For a shorter trip ,I always enjoy going to Vermont. I guess because when I was a kid my parents always vacationed there. Brings back wonderful memories.
A New England Fall cruise has been on my bucket list! Stupid covid ruins everything!

My wife and I were talking about taking a two-week road trip after the pandemic gets under control, so maybe this summer or fall. Now, to figure out where to go. Personally, I'd like to go up the New England coast. My wife wants to go down to New Orleans. That doesn't interest me that much. Another option is to see the Great Lakes... maybe go up into the Canadian wilderness... We've been to the NW several times, but there are still some things we haven't seen, like the giant redwoods. Lake Tahoe might be a good trip.

Where would you go and why?
You brought back memories of Lake Tahoe! My daughter and son-in-law were married on the Tahoe Queen. Sadly the Tahoe Queen burned in a fire some years back. Lake Tahoe is such a beautiful area and the Redwoods are more than magnificent.

I was in Lake Tahoe way back in the early '80s and remember how beautiful it was with all the red trees and lush forests. The road I was on had to be shut down for a while because of mudslides and I didn't care since it was so beautiful. I just wandered around a bit until they cleared the road.

It takes 16 hours to drive from Denver to Lake Tahoe, so if we left early in the morning, we could be there in the evening.

What would really be cool is taking the train, but they don't allow dogs over 20 pounds and our dog is probably 70 pounds.

I was in Lake Tahoe way back in the early '80s and remember how beautiful it was with all the red trees and lush forests. The road I was on had to be shut down for a while because of mudslides and I didn't care since it was so beautiful. I just wandered around a bit until they cleared the road.

It takes 16 hours to drive from Denver to Lake Tahoe, so if we left early in the morning, we could be there in the evening.

What would really be cool is taking the train, but they don't allow dogs over 20 pounds and our dog is probably 70 pounds.
That same daughter now lives with her family (my grandchildren!) in Windsor, up by Loveland and Fort Collins. We are planning a road trip (from Oregon) later this year as I cannot do airports and airplanes in a mask for hours and hours and hours. We love our annual trips to Colorado!

We will probably start out close to home, driving up to Lexington, KY
and stay at The Campbell House.
Enjoyed out stay there a while back when I worked for Hilton, so will do
it again.

A little gambling, watch a horse race or two and do a repeat of the thoroughbred
horse farm tours.

Touring the farms was the highlight of our trip.
Got to see some beautiful horses up close.

Many years ago we had a family road trip across the northern states which was great fun as we kept off the main tourist trails.
We ended up in some strange places and in one, they were celebrating Christmas in July. They were chuffed to have a family from the UK dropping in.

I haven't seen much of Florida, only some time in and around Boca Raton, but I've always fancied a trip down the Florida Keys.
Mrs. L has a notion for Route 66. Trouble is that neither of us are keen on long haul flights.

Trivia: Don M mentions Banff, which amuses me as I live near Banff in Scotland. It seems that the first president of the Canadian Pacific railroad come from Banff in Scotland, and Banff in Canada was named in this honour.

Southwest similar to @asp3 's post above. Zion, Bryce, Four Corners and definitely Mesa Verde . I'd love to hike just a little bit along The Narrows at Zion and it would actually be doable for me physically on a good day. Now that I have the Class B van, I could hang around and wait for a good day if need be. Would rent a Jeep for a day at Moab for rougher roads that the van can't handle.

https://www.canyoneeringusa.com/zion/off-trail/zion-narrows

Pic my cousin's son and his wife took of The Narrows. They said the air was warm and the water very cold.FB_IMG_1615777268554.jpg

Last edited:
Southwest similar to @asp3 's post above. Zion, Bryce, Four Corners and definitely Mesa Verde . I'd love to hike just a little bit along The Narrows at Zion and it would actually be doable for me physically on a good day. Now that I have the Class B van, I could hang around and wait for a good day if need be. Would rent a Jeep for a day at Moab for rougher roads that the van can't handle.

https://www.canyoneeringusa.com/zion/off-trail/zion-narrows

Pic my cousin's son and his wife took of The Narrows. They said the air was warm and the water very cold.View attachment 154712
That looks beautiful @AnnieA. I ’d love to be able to explore places like that. Have been to the wheelchair accessible parts of the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and Mesa Verde and loved them.

I have been just about everywhere here in the U.S. Some of the trips we took with the family, I wouldn't mind repeating. I really like the Southeast and the Southwest. Maine was nice. We went out to see the whales and actually saw 2 of them. Acadia National Park is a beautiful place to visit. I would like to spend a few days in NYC, but not anymore.

I have been just about everywhere here in the U.S. Some of the trips we took with the family, I wouldn't mind repeating. I really like the Southeast and the Southwest. Maine was nice. We went out to see the whales and actually saw 2 of them. Acadia National Park is a beautiful place to visit. I would like to spend a few days in NYC, but not anymore.
I've never been to the SE and SW only by bus through some of the SW on my way to CA maybe almost 50 years ago. There is so much beauty to visit in our country.

Back