Roughing it on holiday, (you dont know what you are missing,.....!)

Thanks for sharing your photos and stories, @grahamg. I felt I was there. Unfortunately, camping is not something I enjoy. I am too sensitive to my surroundings and would stay up all night "hearing" everything. But I admire people who can do this.
I'm getting the sense I'm yet to win quite a few over to my point of view here, (no surprise there if you've read any of my posts on the "Family and Relationships" section), but I've got a little more to say that will either put you off further or make come over to the "rougher side".

First I have to admit my tent featured above did let me down a little the night before last, and had I stayed all night in the tent I would have awoken with wet feet, (luckily I'd decamped to the car when the rain started coming down a little harder, and was too tired even to try going back to the tent).

Anyway, running repairs carried out upon the tent yesterday, (by the addition of an extra curtain across the entrance, made from an old waterproof jacket), and bobs you're uncle and I managed to get through the whole night in the tent again, even though the rain was much heavier!

Here is the "kicker", next to my makeshift concocted tent I've had two very professionally designed expensive tents over the last two nights, one an expensive one you can apparently put up in four minutes because all the tent poles stay in place in the tent material, and just snap into the correct position when you erect it, and the second looks more like a home from home, with different rooms or areas all linked together, covering quite a bit of ground, (albeit housing a family of four).

However, who really wants a holiday where you're essentially "home from home"?

Isn't a bit of excitement whereby the chance of wet feet in the morning a possibility a more appealing prospect?

Yeah, you know somewhere your wild side says "well maybe I could give it a go"!

Here are some photos taken this morning to persuade you further:

Malham Tarn.1a.jpg

Malham Park.2a.jpg

Malham Park.1.jpg

Okay very last photos as I'm halfway through my last day in the Yorkshire Dales, (for now), and I've taken down the makeshift tent that has just about managed to keep me whole and hearty for almost three fairly rainy weeks, (here is a photo of said tent just to remind you, followed by a photograph of the most extraordinary looking canal barge seen close to where I was staying, "someone after my own heart has designed this one obviously!):

GG tent concotion.1.JPG

Barge near Skipton.3.JPG

Not the Yorkshire Dales this time but the Peak District,...., Staffordshire, Derbyshire, Cheshire border area taken a week ago, with "The Roaches" as the well known rock formation is called you might be able to see, (towards the right on the second photo):

DSCF1012a.jpg

DSCF1013a.jpg

Lovely part of the world. My younger daughter studied for her law degree at Stafford Law School and now lives in N.Sheffield, so is handy for the peaks. When I lived in Hampshire, I used to visit Derbyshire quite a bit. There was a nice camp site at Tissington. Now we go for some great walks when we visit her.

derby1.jpg

The towns in the peak district are famous for their "Well dressing". Here's a sample from years past.

ashford.jpeg

Back to the Yorkshire Dales on Friday for a sheep sale in Hawes, (with a sheep farming mate's son), View attachment 246234then north east a few miles over to beautiful town called Richmond.

View attachment 246232

View attachment 246233
Looks lovely, especially the last photo.

What seems a lifetime ago, we used to go camping/fishing and I am so glad we did as I have such great memories of sitting on the riverbank watching the sun go down and when it was dark, the odd rat or two would come and grab whatever crumbs we had dropped, we didn't bother them and they didn't bother us. Mostly though, I liked the very early, misty mornings, clutching a mug of tea we had brewed up on the camping stove while waiting for a new day to begin. I doubt I would go camping or fishing again but, as I have learnt, I would never say never, not ever again :)

My days of roughing it are over. I prefer my own bathroom, bedroom, food prep, and fur baby companions. Only problem now is wondering how far between charges I'll be able to travel in a new 36 foot Electric RV. :unsure: Just don't see the range as being sufficient.

DSC03041.JPG

Back