Sad but true !

After viewing these videos, it makes me sad to think our future is in the hands of these young people.
Bear in mind, this is highly skewed and heavily edited. After interviewing dozens (or more), the clips that are featured are the ones that make people look foolish because youtubers' aims are to get lots of hits. Hits and subscribers = money.

They eliminate questions that 99% can accurately answer, as well as interviewees who can answer all or nearly all of the questions.

Sure, most of these people need to hit the books harder, but I wouldn't worry about the future of the country or world based on a few questions that some random kids don't answer correctly when a microphone is unexpectedly stuck under their noses and a video camera gets pointed in their direction.

Nobody cares how many years nearly everyone drives safely, but on the rare occasion someone forgets to set the parking brake and the car rolls into the front of a convenience store it makes headlines. Same thing here.

Last edited:
Bear in mind, this is highly skewed and heavily edited. After interviewing dozens (or more), the clips that are featured are the ones that make people look foolish because youtubers' aima are to get lots of hits. Hits and subscribers = money.

They eliminate questions that 99% can accurately answer questions as well as interviewees who can answer all or nearly all of the questions.

Sure, most of these people need to hit the books harder, but I wouldn't worry about the future of the country or world based on a few questions that some random kids don't answer correctly when a microphone is unexpectedly stuck under their noses and a video camera gets pointed in their direction.

Nobody cares how many years nearly everyone drives safely, but on the rare occasion someone forgets to set the parking brake and the car rolls into the front of a convenience store it makes headlines. Same thing here.
You do have a good point.

I might be mistaken, but the use of glass bottles, etc was because that was what was available at that time - not for any particular concern for the environment.

Oh Honey Nut. When you were 4 years old, I saw milk in glass bottles being delivered by horse and wagon. I remember bc the horse fell on the ice even with the guideposts on his side. They had a hard time getting that horse back in position. After the horses left town, the milk trucks rolled. This rick reporting from the beach in NJ. Good night to all . . .

I'm almost 83, I remember milk being delivered in glass bottles (in California) always early morning, then there was the Helms bread man like the Ice Cream man had a special music to let people know he was arriving. I also remember the Ice man came about every 3 day, and would put that big block of ice in the ice box. Then I also remember "pulling the chain" to flush the toilet. Then we moved a bit farther from the downtown area, and my grandparents started building their new house, and first we lived in a huge tent, ( grandpa first dug the cesspool with the outhouse) for quite some time because grandpa got hurt and so grandma and one uncle built the house. It took some time before we had an indoor bathroom or hot water on tap. The old #3 tub was our bathtub, grandma heated the water on the stove. Grandma also made her own soap, she would cut the soap into bars and on wash days she would grate a bar on top into the wringer washer tub. She was the envy of all the neighbors because her soap got her whites so white!

I am only 60, born in Tasmania and we had milk delivered in bottles which had foil lids.
Straws were made of paper. Carry bags were string mesh. Meat was wrapped in butcher's paper.
Groceries were packed into brown paper bags.
Loaves of bread were wrapped in thin paper similar to Tracing Paper?
Oh! I remember when straws were made of paper. Can't figure out why straw-makers don't go back to that.

We were all told recycling was the answer, and most old folks recycle. But recycling only helps when it's done right, and doing it right is extremely expensive, so we do it wrong. And by "we", I don't mean regular people. In fact, regular people aren't really to blame for the environmental mess. Huge corporations share a majority of the blame. It's true we drive the cars and buy the plastic bottles and packaging and ask our waiters for a straw, but what are the commonly available alternatives?

Then I also remember "pulling the chain" to flush the toilet.
The company I worked for in Back Bay, Boston, owned a historic building. The toilets still were flushed by pulling the chain. I was astonished.

BackBay.jpg

One time, when we were camping, I made soap and cooked socks on the propane stove, stirring it, for a long long time. I'd read about this method of doing laundry from a long time ago. I expected the socks to be white when I was done, and they were not. I guess I wouldn't have made a great pioneer.

We were all told recycling was the answer, and most old folks recycle. But recycling only helps when it's done right, and doing it right is extremely expensive, so we do it wrong. And by "we", I don't mean regular people. In fact, regular people aren't really to blame for the environmental mess. Huge corporations share a majority of the blame. It's true we drive the cars and buy the plastic bottles and packaging and ask our waiters for a straw, but what are the commonly available alternatives?
I live in a block of flats, we have recycling bins but honestly, I am the only resident who does what is expected.
The other 29 units do not give a stuff and contaminate the recycling bins with non recyclables and food waste.
So if the recycling bin has contaminants, the the whole lot is rejected.
Waste of time me recycling.

The company I worked for in Back Bay, Boston, owned a historic building. The toilets still were flushed by pulling the chain. I was astonished.

View attachment 233257

One time, when we were camping, I made soap and cooked socks on the propane stove, stirring it, for a long long time. I'd read about this method of doing laundry from a long time ago. I expected the socks to be white when I was done, and they were not. I guess I wouldn't have made a great pioneer.
The toilet tank was separate from the toilet and up on the wall above the toilet.

I grew up in rural NJ (yes, NJ does have rural areas). We had milk, bread, Charles Chips (potatoes chips in a big can),
fish (on Fridays), fruit, ice cream all delivered by different vendors. My brothers and I boycotted
the fish deliveries so that stopped.

I'm 66 and I don't remember milk deliveries or milk being in glass bottles (but I do remember pop being in glass bottles that could be returned and get a small amount of money). All I can remember from my youth in suburban midwest USA are the paper cartons where you have to get the side of the top unfolded to make it a spout.
I'm lucky enough to remember milk delivered in glass bottles. What I remember most is getting to those bottles 1st. to get the cream that settled on the top.

In line, the cashier says to an elderly woman:
- Madam, you have to carry your own shopping bags because these plastic bags are not eco-friendly!
The old lady apologized and responded:
- In my time there was no such "green wave".
- This is our problem today, madam. Your generation didn't care enough about the environment.
- You're right - the lady replied. Our generation didn't care enough for the environment.
Glass bottles of milk, soda, and beer used to return to the store. The shop would return
them back to the factory, where they were washed and sterilized before using them again
and again. We really didn't care about the environment back in the day. We even washed the
baby diapers because there were no disposable ones. We dried them ourselves, not in electric
dryers. Those diapers were really drying from the wind and sun.
We really didn't care about the state of the environment back in our day. Back in our day we
only had one TV and one radio in the house, not one TV per room. And the TV had a 14 inch screen,
not the size of a stadium, which when it broke, would be thrown out of nowhere. In the kitchen,
we had to do everything by hand because there were no electrical appliances to do everything for us.
When we mailed something fragile to pack, we used old newspapers, not nylon bubbles and styrofoam balls
that take 500 years to decompose.
Back in the day we didnā€™t use petrol lawn mowers to mow the lawn, they were mechanical and we used our arms
to move them. The workouts were amazing and we didnā€™t have to go to the gym to get fit.
You're right, we didn't worry about the environment in our days. We used to drink water straight from the tap,
not from the plastic bottles and cups that now fill the oceans.
There wasn't really a "green wave" in our days - back then we all got on the tram or bus, boys used bikes or walked
to school instead of using their parents as a 24-hour taxi service.
So isn't it amazing that the current generation talks so much about the "environment", but is unwilling to give anything
up and think of living with little like I did back in my day!
Now that you've read this rant, send it to your friends who are over 50, and to young people who have it all in their
hands and only know how to criticize the elderly!!!

Ā· Ā·
One hundred percent behind this view of things, and can't fault it at all, but knowing it all to be true I'm still beaten trying to convince myself rich countries like ours can ever turn off the ruinous path were on, (and all of us are guilty of using and wasting too much into the bargain!).

Grandma also made her own soap, she would cut the soap into bars and on wash days she would grate a bar on top into the wringer washer tub.
Oh my gosh, @mrstime, when you wrote this I bet you didn't suspect you'd be clearing up an oddity in someone else's life story.

Background: My MIL waited on my FIL hand and foot and held to very strong traditional roles, far more so than most couples born in the 1920s. Perish the thought he would fry an egg, clear the table, wash a dish, fold a load of laundry, grocery shop, etc. That was HER domain.

When she died in 2015, my dear FIL was at a total loss as to how to run the household appliances. By itself, that struck DH and me as very strange - he'd retired in his mid fifties 30 years earlier and was always a very handy, capable man. He'd been a flight dispatcher during his working life and at home he'd built out buildings on their property, completely remodeled bathrooms and kitchens including installing the appliances, etc. He had a most enviable tool shop and no dummy was he.

However, when she passed he was completely mystified by the workings of their washing machine, dishwasher and microwave.

When he asked us how big a piece of bathroom bar soap to carve off and drop in the the washer and dishwasher, hubby and I were mostly aghast and a little amused. Granted, the man was in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's, but still...

We dutifully taught him that the big box of Tide was for the washer, the Cascade went into the DW, and under no circumstances was the Irish Spring used for either!

Problem solved, but a lingering curiosity nevertheless.

What we didn't put together: His family farmed in the Midwest until the Dustbowl, at which point they moved to California, Grapes of Wrath style. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that like @mrstime's, his mother and grandmothers made their own soap and carved off bits for whatever needed washing.

It's little wonder that my FIL's childhood memory of using bar soap for everything made the strongest imprint, given his early stage Alzheimer's and lack of intervening experience with household appliances.

Now I better understand where he was coming from!

Oh my gosh, @mrstime, when you wrote this I bet you didn't suspect you'd be clearing up an oddity in someone else's life story.

Background: My MIL waited on my FIL hand and foot and held to very strong traditional roles, far more so than most couples born in the 1920s. Perish the thought he would fry an egg, clear the table, wash a dish, fold a load of laundry, grocery shop, etc. That was HER domain.

When she died in 2015, my dear FIL was at a total loss as to how to run the household appliances. By itself, that struck DH and me as very strange - he'd retired in his mid fifties 30 years earlier and was always a very handy, capable man. He'd been a flight dispatcher during his working life and at home he'd built out buildings on their property, completely remodeled bathrooms and kitchens including installing the appliances, etc. He had a most enviable tool shop and no dummy was he.

However, when she passed he was completely mystified by the workings of their washing machine, dishwasher and microwave.

When he asked us how big a piece of bathroom bar soap to carve off and drop in the the washer and dishwasher, hubby and I were mostly aghast and a little amused. Granted, the man was in the beginning stages of Alzheimer's, but still...

We dutifully taught him that the big box of Tide was for the washer, the Cascade went into the DW, and under no circumstances was the Irish Spring used for either!

Problem solved, but a lingering curiosity nevertheless.

What we didn't put together: His family farmed in the Midwest until the Dustbowl, at which point they moved to California, Grapes of Wrath style. I'd bet dollars to doughnuts that like @mrstime's, his mother and grandmothers made their own soap and carved off bits for whatever needed washing.

It's little wonder that my FIL's childhood memory of using bar soap for everything made the strongest imprint, given his early stage Alzheimer's and lack of intervening experience with household appliances.

Now I better understand where he was coming from!
I'm afraid my DH will starve to death if I go first. The dishwasher will probably mystify him for a while.The washer and dryer he will be able to tend. He did learn to fry bacon and eggs once a very long time ago when I was sick for a week. The banking will cause him grief for a while. However he waits on himself for now, but he is so wobbly that if he drops something I usually tell him wait I will get it. We got him a new Rollator walker so he is trying to get used to it.

@StarSong, what about your dog? Have I missed a post? Do tell. šŸ¶
Thank you for asking. He's settling in slowly but is extremely shy so it's hard to snap a good photo. We're giving him plenty of space so he can acclimate to us and our home.

On an aside, his story is a perfect example of why I disagree with the recent proliferation of "non-profit rescues."

This dog would have been highly sought after if he'd been brought to a city animal shelter, groomed, neutered and released for adoption. He's healthy, adorable, smallish at about 20 lbs., gentle, housebroken, very quiet (not a single bark yet), doesn't shed and is quite young (shelter vet estimated 1-1/2 years old - we'll confirm with our own vet).

His actual history: five months ago a city shelter in central California removed him and eight other dogs (apparently most were his siblings) from an animal hoarding situation. He was quickly scooped up (aka rescued) from the public shelter by a rescue organization and brought to one of their nearby shelters, then was relocated a couple of hundred miles to one of their So Cal shelters, where he stayed for a bit before being fostered out in three of their foster homes.

Each move introduced new humans, new animals, new life rhythms, new rules, new foods, new everything, every one of which had to further stress, confuse and unsettle him.

In addition to his original home, he's been in seven different environments in five months: three shelters, three fosters, and our forever home. Excessive, unnecessary and traumatizing to this poor little creature. He could have (and in my opinion, should have) gone from the original shelter to a forever home. And he could have cost us hundreds less to adopt. That's how it used to work before all these private got into the picture. Every bit of handling adds stress on the animal and hundreds to the adoption cost.

Rant over.

We've named him Ozzy after Ozzy Osborne. He's starting to settle in.

From the photo of us on a walk this morning you can see he's on the small to medium size. He doesn't quite come to my knee. Best guess is a poodle-schnauzer-terrier mix.

Ozzy.jpgOzzy on a walk.jpg

Thank you for asking. He's settling in slowly but is extremely shy so it's hard to snap a good photo. We're giving him plenty of space so he can acclimate to us and our home.

On an aside, his story is a perfect example of why I disagree with the recent proliferation of "non-profit rescues."

This dog would have been highly sought after if he'd been brought to a city animal shelter, groomed, neutered and released for adoption. He's healthy, adorable, smallish at about 20 lbs., gentle, housebroken, very quiet (not a single bark yet), doesn't shed and is quite young (shelter vet estimated 1-1/2 years old - we'll confirm with our own vet).

His actual history: five months ago a city shelter in central California removed him and eight other dogs (apparently most were his siblings) from an animal hoarding situation. He was quickly scooped up (aka rescued) from the public shelter by a rescue organization and brought to one of their nearby shelters, then was relocated a couple of hundred miles to one of their So Cal shelters, where he stayed for a bit before being fostered out in three of their foster homes.

Each move introduced new humans, new animals, new life rhythms, new rules, new foods, new everything, every one of which had to further stress, confuse and unsettle him.

In addition to his original home, he's been in seven different environments in five months: three shelters, three fosters, and our forever home. Excessive, unnecessary and traumatizing to this poor little creature. He could have (and in my opinion, should have) gone from the original shelter to a forever home. And he could have cost us hundreds less to adopt. That's how it used to work before all these private got into the picture. Every bit of handling adds stress on the animal and hundreds to the adoption cost.

Rant over.

From the photo of us on a walk this morning you can see he's on the small to medium size. He doesn't quite come to my knee. Best guess is a poodle-schnauzer-terrier mix.

View attachment 233678View attachment 233682
Such a lovely boy @StarSong
May he live a long life with you and your family. I can already tell he brings you much joy.

Rant over.

awwww... he looks like a smaller version of our late and much loved Scruffy... ( doodle ) sooo cute...šŸ„°

Rant over.

Thank you @StarSong!

Oh, he is so cute! You named him Ozzy, which is the name my son and his (then) young boys gave to their cat. The younger boy called him "Ozzyborn".

Yes, the poor thing being placed and replaced all over. I would watch these rescues on YouTube and wonder why. It doesn't sound right unless trying to save a large bunch from a high-kill center all at one time.

You got lucky the no shed trait in poodles came out in Ozzy. Mine is a Shi-Tzu and doesn't shed either.

So Ozzy doesn't bark? Give him time, hahaha. He's a lucky boy that you guys saved him. He's in the best hands a dog could be. You've got a winner, too!

When I got mine, she was very quiet, ate and went outside on a leash and just curled up on the end of the couch. Didn't want her toys. She liked to be petted, but other than that, she was too quiet. It took a few weeks, maybe even over a month until she finally felt at home.

I don't remember how old she is. I don't want to know, anyway. I've had her for some years, but I'm afraid to count them.

What does Ozzy like to eat? I wish many happy years for you and Ozzy!
NLB_F8uL9P8Wyr94tNM47aGHnQFOuE6E-rUl1hx9iw0PZxb_K3ok7i5k3ArN-x6oFs9bVy5lHg=s176-c-k-c0x00ffffff-no-rj-mo

Oh Ozzy has my heart already! He looks just like my brother's dog, Rudy, also from a shelter and rather shy.

We would keep him every year while my brother and his wife went on vacation for a few weeks. My mini-dachshund fell in love with him. She would jump out of bed every morning and start pulling at his crate door with her teeth, then spend the whole day playing with him and leading him around by the beard.

He didn't seem to mind her total domination, in fact I think it helped him feel secure. The last time he was here, my brother came to take him home and as Rudy was loaded into his car, my little girl through her head back and howled like a heart broken coonhound. It's the only time I've heard her do that.šŸ˜

Back