Scary Movies

The Ring was good....it had a grim, brooding atmosphere of an inescapable doom coming to the characters.
The Grudge was set in Japan and the plot's been used a thousand times, but the directing and cinematography evoked a relentless, mounting quality of dread.....the peril to the characters just kept getting quietly but inexorably worse and worse.
After both films I was just a bit uncomfortable, like something kind of nasty had rubbed off on me.

I agree. The movie had a surprising effect on me, because I'm a scary movie buff and watch them all the time anad mostly I just say "hmmm, another old house movie" or "another terrible family secret movie." The Ring left me feeling oddly disconcerted -- part of that may have been that I watched it alone, very late at night, and during a thunderstorm.

I grew up on the old horror movies that were shown on tv on Friday nights. The scariest one I saw in a theatre was "The House on Haunted Hill" with Vincent Price. That one gave me nightmares for weeks.

My mom took me to that. When the gal turns around, after knocking on the wall, and that old lady caretaker is standing behind her, my mom jumped on me, I jumped out of my seat and shrieked that I wanted to go home, pulling my mom up the theater aisle. She told me, "OK, but I'll have to come back, tonight, to see how it ends, and leave you all alone in our dark, spooky house." I shut up, and stayed the course. When the skeleton came out of the casket, on the theater wall, I kind of thought it was hokey. I was six.

To this day, when that flick comes on, if I'm alone, I don't watch it.

I agree. The movie had a surprising effect on me, because I'm a scary movie buff and watch them all the time anad mostly I just say "hmmm, another old house movie" or "another terrible family secret movie." The Ring left me feeling oddly disconcerted -- part of that may have been that I watched it alone, very late at night, and during a thunderstorm.
The Ring was the first then The Grudge? Whichever one it was it was the first modern Japanese creepy film I saw. I expect it was partly financed by the US.

No, I never did @Kris148 . I've heard that "music" but never wanted to see the film. I just know the Land Shark from Saturday Night Love comedy show.
ha ha:LOL: I know what you mean. I only watched JAWS because of all the hype. Living on an island surrounded by water.. shark attacks are commonplace in my country. I have been hearing about the worst attacks for as long as I can remember. Several of which took place in Sydney Harbor. The dreaded White Pointer is responsible for many of our attacks.There has been controversy this year about which shark deterrents to install along the Easter Seaboard.. drum lines or nets. While they procrastinate our surfers are continually being mauled.

These scared me-

movieposter.jpg

movieposter.jpg

movieposter.jpg

ha ha:LOL: I know what you mean. I only watched JAWS because of all the hype. Living on an island surrounded by water.. shark attacks are commonplace in my country. I have been hearing about the worst attacks for as long as I can remember. Several of which took place in Sydney Harbor. The dreaded White Pointer is responsible for many of our attacks.There has been controversy this year about which shark deterrents to install along the Easter Seaboard.. drum lines or nets. While they procrastinate our surfers are continually being mauled.

That's pretty scary. I hope they can avert the sharks humanely. I wouldn't surf, knowing they are out there.

If you saw Angelheart, what did you think of it? It freaked me out.

My mom took me to that. When the gal turns around, after knocking on the wall, and that old lady caretaker is standing behind her, my mom jumped on me, I jumped out of my seat and shrieked that I wanted to go home, pulling my mom up the theater aisle. She told me, "OK, but I'll have to come back, tonight, to see how it ends, and leave you all alone in our dark, spooky house." I shut up, and stayed the course. When the skeleton came out of the casket, on the theater wall, I kind of thought it was hokey. I was six.

To this day, when that flick comes on, if I'm alone, I don't watch it.

The part that gave me nightmares for weeks was where the hanged woman appears outside the girl's window and the rope snakes through the bars on the window and coils around the girl's ankles. The rest of the movie was scary, but that scene about did me in. My mother was so mad at my grandmother for caving in to my begging and taking me to see the movie.

Back