Shingles

Here in the states I believe insurance covers the vaccine starting in your early 60s, even though the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends it starting at age 50.

I had chicken pox when I was a kid.

I got the vaccine as early as I could when Zostavax was the thing, with I believe a 50% efficacy rate. Then Shingrix hit the scene with an efficacy rate of 97%, so I got that as well (I was lucky, the supply of Shingrix has been constrained.)

What makes the supply issue worse is that you need 2 doses of Shingrix, the second being required within a certain amount of time from the first. So you get the first shot and sweat being able to get the second within that window of time. And it's only available through pharmacies...your pharmacist gives you the shot, not your doctor. I don't know why this is. I received Zostavax at my doctor's office and Shingriz at the drug store while standing next to the laxatives and compression socks.

Here in the states I believe insurance covers the vaccine starting in your early 60s, even though the U.S. Center for Disease Control (CDC) recommends it starting at age 50.

I got the vaccine as early as I could when Zostavax was the thing, with I believe a 50% efficacy rate. Then Shingrix hit the scene with an efficacy rate of 97%, so I got that as well (I was lucky, the supply of Shingrix has been constrained.)

What makes the supply issue worse is that you need 2 doses of Shingrix, the second being required within a certain amount of time from the first. So you get the first shot and sweat being able to get the second within that window of time. And it's only available through pharmacies...your pharmacist gives you the shot, not your doctor. I don't know why this is. I received Zostavax at my doctor's office and Shingriz at the drug store while standing next to the laxatives and compression socks.
You are absolutely right. Here in Canada, at least in BC, each round is $170, and the second (follow-up) vaccination can't happen sooner than 2 months after the initial vaccination was given, and not more than 6 months after.

You are absolutely right. Here in Canada, at least in BC, each round is $170, and the second (follow-up) vaccination can't happen sooner than 2 months after the initial vaccination was given, and not more than 6 months after.
I was just reading about it, and the vaccine has a nearly 90% effective rate after 4 years. My doctor didn't say anything about a second iteration at some point down the road. Maybe it's too new for that to be quantified. Or maybe they know something else will be developed.

I was just reading about it, and the vaccine has a nearly 90% effective rate after 4 years. My doctor didn't say anything about a second iteration at some point down the road. Maybe it's too new for that to be quantified. Or maybe they know something else will be developed.
There's two different vaccinations, the old being a single version, which I don't think is offered anymore.

Yes, the new double vaccination drug is highly effective for up to 5 years.

I had a pretty good case of the Shingles, when I was about 45.....thought I was having a heart attack. It was Very painful, and I had a bad rash all over my chest for several days. Getting the vaccine is a good idea, especially for older folks, who have had chicken pox as a child.

I had shingles about 3 years ago. It started on my shoulder and the rash followed the nerve path down my arm to the base of my thumb. I got the medication when the rash first appeared which helped but I still had the itching and nerve pain for about a month. I never thought I'd have the shingles because I do not remember ever having chicken pox.

My husband also had shingles as a teenager.

Last edited:

My brother-in-law, who turned 80 yesterday, got shingles some years ago and is still has problems -- he has pain in his thigh I think. His doc said it will probably never go away. I don't think it's a major problem, more of an annoyance to him.

I got the first type of vaccine when it was available five or more years ago. Then I got on a waiting list in the fall of 2018 for the new one. I just got it about 2 months ago. They should be calling me sometime soon for the second.

According to my doc, he said that he does have some of the vaccine, but most of it (here in NYS anyway) goes to drug stores where anyone over 65 has to go to get it.

Sorry about your predicament Mr. E. We can get the Shingles Shot pretty early here, too, in the US. I think it's 50. I should get one. I recall having a very bad case of Chicken Pox as a child. I was one who got everything.

mister --shingles and me seem to be quite close - I have had it 4 times now and god I do hate it ' so I booked to have a vaccination by the nurse 'she said the vaccine stays in forever so only one needed ' iam usually against vaccine stuff but this got a joke '
it dont stop you getting it - but its not as bad they say ? pity anyone who gets it ..

Update: Admitting myself to the ER.....back spasms with crippling pain is leaving me almost breathless, with hardly any mobility and in tears and on both sides now....been going on for almost two months on and off but I cant stand it anymore.....
will have blood work and a back xray from my doc I spoke to yesterday....will let you all know the outcome so you wont see me on here for at least a day or two.....

Update: Admitting myself to the ER.....back spasms with crippling pain is leaving me almost breathless, with hardly any mobility and in tears and on both sides now....been going on for almost two months on and off but I cant stand it anymore.....
will have blood work and a back xray from my doc I spoke to yesterday....will let you all know the outcome so you wont see me on here for at least a day or two.....
Been there before, Pops.

Take care of yourself and will have my fingers crossed for you as to a speedy recovery, clear blood-work/x-rays, and in you finding a comfortable position that allows you to enjoy eased pain.

Take care and let us know what the doctor says, Pops. (And this is the "Shingles" thread... do you suspect the problem is shingles?)

I was finally talked into getting the shingles shot by former victims and had scheduled an appointment. Go figure - the virus hit and they don't do vaccinations over the phone. With my luck, I'll get them. /-; My step-daughter had shingles in her 20's and was miserable.

Back