Shingles

Hi Aunt Marg , seems strange that Canada vaccinates so early , apparently shingles only rears it's ugly head at around 70 ?
I had shingles when I was 55. As I said above,my friend`s daughter had it at 13.

I have yet to have a doctor answer as to whether or not I should get the vaccine,given that I have had shingles. They say they just don`t know.

Don't know if this has already been discussed on here .....anyone reaching 70 years ,please be aware of shingles ! The shingles are bad enough though they normally only last a few weeks , it's what often follows on....Post Herpetic Neuralgia !😨
I've had PHN for a few years now , and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy .
Here in the UK you can get vaccinated against the shingles from around 70 years , I'd very strongly advise doing so . Don't know about other countries , worth asking your doctor about though
My family doctor gave me an order to get the Shingles Vaccine but I am fearful of the after affects.

I had my first Shingles vaccine last summer. In my family all Aunt's and Uncles on my mothers side
had the Shingles between the ages of 67 and 72. For each of them very painful through the duration.

I am glad though that I've had my vaccine, although I had side effects of very swollen and red inflammed
area of injection site and it lasted one month.

I'm not sure if I have this wrong, but I thought shingles is a similar virus to chickenpox. We had vaccinations for chicken pox when I was a kid but obviously this is not effective against shingles. Shingles can attack the eyes or so I heard so take great care. Didn't know people so young could get shingles. Don't think we are advised to have jabs against shingles here. O/H has been advised to have the flu jab in winter but nothing else. Will have to check.

I'm not sure if I have this wrong, but I thought shingles is a similar virus to chickenpox. We had vaccinations for chicken pox when I was a kid but obviously this is not effective against shingles. Shingles can attack the eyes or so I heard so take great care. Didn't know people so young could get shingles. Don't think we are advised to have jabs against shingles here. O/H has been advised to have the flu jab in winter but nothing else. Will have to check.
Both chicken pox and shingles are caused by the same virus - Varicella Zoster. I had shingles when I was 30. It hasn't come back in 38 years. I'm not interested in the vaccine.
BTW, there are attorneys who are handling lawsuits for people who got Shingles after getting the vaccine.

I have had shingles for 4 months now. The first two months were extremely painful with shooting pains in my back, side and abdomen. The rash didn't last long and was never horrible. Now I still have chronic pain and fatigue, which is alleviated somewhat by vicodin twice a day. that enables me to sleep which i very much appreciate. My pain doctor has recommended a nerve block (injection) and so I will try that next week. I will let you know if it is effective. If anyone has had experience with this procedure, please let us know the outcome. I am 78 years old.

I have had shingles for 4 months now. The first two months were extremely painful with shooting pains in my back, side and abdomen. The rash didn't last long and was never horrible. Now I still have chronic pain and fatigue, which is alleviated somewhat by vicodin twice a day. that enables me to sleep which i very much appreciate. My pain doctor has recommended a nerve block (injection) and so I will try that next week. I will let you know if it is effective. If anyone has had experience with this procedure, please let us know the outcome. I am 78 years old.
I’ve had lots of nerve blocks. Where are you getting yours? What do you want to know about them?

Back