Shopping habits changed permanently

Rose65

Since the covid crisis began have you got a different approach to food and grocery shopping?
I never allow anything essential to get anywhere near low. I always have good supplies of loo rolls, bread, tinned food, frozen meals and bottled water. As soon as I sense any shortage in the shops, like eggs recently, I look elsewhere and maintain my supply. I fill up fuel soon as my car is half empty and I maintain a certain float of ready cash. I suppose the fear will always be there and my vigilance is much more alert.

I also still naturally keep a physical distance from people as I am nervous. I sometimes see people still wearing masks but I don't do that.

I always wear a mask in stores now.

Other people seem to be stocking up, meaning there's nothing left for me. I went to the store several times to get something, but finally gave up. I guess I'll make do.

I have plenty to last me for a while. I always fill up my car when it shows half full anyway.

No. I was never scared, so that helped. But food was in such short supply I went out daily to try to buy enough and sometimes spent hours on the road but it beats trying to live on radish soup, which was delicious BTW. I'm okay now and there was no permanent damage done.

I always make sure I have my red bell peppers, avocados lemons and avocado oil.
And, some kind of protein (meat). Essentials too.

Other foods in the freezer are extra, if I run out of my faves.

It's just me here and I live a pretty simple life.

I’m distressed at the number of things we are being forced to order on-line. Even when I went to the local office supply store, they were out of the supplies and wanted me to order them on-line and have them delivered to their store or my house. It’s like everywhere you go now you have to answer questions that range from how you’re doing today to your home address. When I was growing up you could shop with your privacy intact and the stores carried the items they sold in stock.

Not really. I remember seeing a line at WINCO Foods. Then I had to go out and see my stepfather for something later in the evening, so I went by WINCO again. No line. But many things were empty. Then as I've stated here before, the stores started putting on their receipts that they would not take back items overbought due to covid. I'm sure things eventually got thrown out as people tired of it. I never ran out of toilet paper or anything. I didn't panic. I was more worried about cat food, but never ran out of that either.

I did use my last sewing machine needle breaking a couple on masks so I ordered online. They took about 3 weeks to get to me from a fabric site. They were nice and sent an update e mail. Also when people were making masks elastic was impossible to find. Luckily, I had some wider elastic and cut it the long way.

I mainly missed the thrift stores being open. Other than that life didn't change much. I'm an essential worker. It did feel weird and surreal though. I still wear a mask shopping and at work though they are even loosening the work site regulations.

Since the covid crisis began have you got a different approach to food and grocery shopping?
I never allow anything essential to get anywhere near low. I always have good supplies of loo rolls, bread, tinned food, frozen meals and bottled water. As soon as I sense any shortage in the shops, like eggs recently, I look elsewhere and maintain my supply. I fill up fuel soon as my car is half empty and I maintain a certain float of ready cash. I suppose the fear will always be there and my vigilance is much more alert.

I also still naturally keep a physical distance from people as I am nervous. I sometimes see people still wearing masks but I don't do that.
Exactly the same... plus I wear a mask whenever I feel I need to... for example in the hospital waiting room on Wednesday... there was about 80 people ..only 4 that I could see other than the nursing staff were wearing masks, so I put one on.. these were all sick people, yet the majority wore no masks . I ensure I have all essentials in stock now..even masks and gloves.. which I managed to get a good supply of during the lockdown..plus I also have a stash of OTC medicine, because in the UK supplies are running out fast and set to get worse ...

I remember being at my son's apt. and he found a convenience store selling TP and he loaded himself down with it, came home triumphant and what was on my mind he would have been mugged, or worse, for his bounty. I was really scared.

Since I moved to my daughter‘s house a couple years ago I don’t have to shop for food, etc.
Only time I buy anything is if it’s something extravagant I want.
This is certainly one of the pros of living here..also no utility bills or TV, internet etc.
I still wear a mask in any medical establishment, although it’s not required anymore.
I still see people in stores wearing them though.

No, my wife and I never did wear those stupid masks (except to see our doctors, as we had to)! Our doctor explained they only required masks to keep the incoming patients happy.
We both have a science background and understand that masks do nothing to protect one from a virus. In fact, a mask my actually increase the risk of exposure to a virus.

Life is too short to fall for these media driven hysteria games.

I usually don't wear a mask any more. But I did get used to buying nearly everything online (except food) and still do it.
Yes, I buy groceries on line and use instore pickup at Walmart, which gives me 5% off when I use my Walmart Card as opposed to going inside, where I only get 2%. I also quit buying some unnecessary food items that I consumed a lot of. I started being more money conscious, which led me to Aldis, where I shop about half of the time now. Restaurants and movie theaters are things of the past. I was addicted to those, and without them, I seem to have naturally broken the addiction, and that's good, because local movie prices have doubled over Covid and the resulting inflation. I still spend more on groceries than I did in the past. No matter how much I cut back, I'll just have to live with that. When I shop on line for dry goods I do a lot of price comparing, and find ebay is often much cheaper and sometimes faster than anywhere else, but their speed of delivery can vary and seems to have slowed during the last year. But I can be patient when a good price is involved.

Back