Should the man have let me go ahead?

I had 12 empty soda bottles to take back to the recycling center at the grocery. They only allow one person at a time in the cubicle. When I got there the was an older woman already there and a man after her, then me. The man had like 10 huge bags full for bottles to return, so it was going to take him a while to feed the glass, plastic and metal containers through the various receptacles. He did see me and could see I only has a few. I though he would offer to let me go ahead of him, but he didn't. He took about 20 minutes while I had to stand there or lose my place in line. If the situation was reversed, I would have let him go ahead.

I understand you, I would have expected him to have allowed you through with just a few items, like we do at the checkout in the supermarket if someone only has a couple of items ... however, there's always a possibility that he'd already let the lady in front go first and maybe had to wait a long time for her to go through

Was the dollar or two you got for your 12 bottles worth 20 minutes of your time? Would it even have been worth two minutes?

We used to recycle at a company near our previous house. That was quick and easy, but building up enough bottles and cans to make it worthwhile took many weeks, during which we had to save all that junk, and keep different materials (aluminum, glass, plastic) in separate containers so we didn't have to sort it before recycling.

Now that it's not nearby, we would need a truck load of bottles and cans to justify the time and effort, so we just toss it all into the city recycling barrel.

Yup

but

there's all that money.....some even coins
2d22b1be196da3ec3f3c2648c258a2d5--dana-carvey-saturday-night-live.jpg

Gary O sure knows how to “put the bell on the cat” 😆🤣🤪😍
Yesterday I was in line To check out at the grocery with my usual big shopping bag hanging on my walker, and several people with full carts offered to let me go ahead of them, but I graciously declined because I know how folks feel about “line jumpers” these days. Then a store employee took me over to the self check out where there were empty ones & did them for me.
These days , unless somebody runs over my foot or tries to shove me out of the way or something, I don’t fault them for being preoccupied with getting their stuff done.

Last edited:
I had 12 empty soda bottles to take back to the recycling center at the grocery. They only allow one person at a time in the cubicle. When I got there the was an older woman already there and a man after her, then me. The man had like 10 huge bags full for bottles to return, so it was going to take him a while to feed the glass, plastic and metal containers through the various receptacles. He did see me and could see I only has a few. I though he would offer to let me go ahead of him, but he didn't. He took about 20 minutes while I had to stand there or lose my place in line. If the situation was reversed, I would have let him go ahead.
Unfortunately, Deb, this is the new wave of conducting oneself in today's day and age.

Had I been in line ahead of you with the same, I would have extended an offer to you to bump ahead. In my view that's the courteous thing to do.

Things I remember from yesteryear that are seldom extended to others today...

- Holding doors open for others
- Saying please and thank you
- Referring to people by their name
- Being courteous and allowing others to step ahead when ones order is much larger and will take additional time to process
- Extending a polite and simple "excuse me please" when walking in front of others, particularly when pushing a shopping cart

Good manners would have had him offer to let you go ahead. If there were several others behind you that he’d have to do the same for, then he can maybe he can be excused.

Once you chose to stay in the line for a dozen bottles, you can’t complain about the wait. You could have gone on with your day or even donated them to someone else behind you.

Back