Shouldn't we be getting paid for listening to ads?

I've been noticing that the amount of TV advertising has gone up, especially on cable, where 12-14 minutes of a "30 minute" program is ads. And how about invasive ads on the net? We are wasting time avoiding embedded ads. Well time IS money. We hold the purse strings. No matter how much money corporations can spend on ads, if we won't buy their stuff, they are out of business. If uninvited advertisers want to interrupt our lives with their ads, shouldn't they pay for it? If it were possible would you want to get paid for ads intruding on your life? I know it ain't gonna happen, but what if......

Last edited:
Even on the radio, an AM station can have close to 15 minutes of ads for every half hour of air time. I think there are ways to get around TV ads, like those who use something like TIVO. I'd be rich if I got paid for every ad on TV or radio that I've listened to all my life. :D

I have satellite TV and I can fast forward through the ads it’s fantastic! Hopefully this is available in your area because if I had to watch the ads I’d go bonkers .

In a way, we are getting paid for listening to ads. Or at least, getting charged for NOT having to listen to them.

On TV and radio, with the exception of PBS and NPR, funded by government grants and donations, all the other free channels do seem to have ads. If we just can't stand them, we have to subscribe to the "premium channels" or services such as Sirius.

I like to play Words with Friends on my phone. Little annoying ads keep popping up all the time, unless you pay $10 for an ad-free month (plus some extra game bonuses.) It's usually worth it.

For some reason, this system feels a bit like it was designed by the Mafia!

I record rather than directly watch many television shows so as to be able to fast forward through the ads, which constitute an average of 25% of viewing time. If you play any internet games or use apps for them, the adverts can be both annoying and paralyzing. Even as I write this, I'm being urged to "Come to Armenia in 2017." Afraid I haven't yet mastered time travel...

Fortunately we don't get commercials for that lenght of time... altho' still too many, so I record everything on commerical channels and ff through the ADS ... but even more fortunately we also have the choice of the BBC channels, where there are no ADS... and where most of the best programming is scheduled...

TV programs, internet search engines, commercial websites, and free apps are in the business of selling advertising. It's how they pay their bills.

They sell advertisers the opportunity to peddle their wares and make it difficult to avert our eyeballs every single time.

With media, the product being sold is us - our time, our money, and the potential of us spending both.

I fee that if advertisers want to place their ads in front of me, they should pay. The idea that advertising pays for Tv, radio, and the net is rather quaint. Today, advertising not only endorses products, but collects consumer information about us-and extremely personal data from the net. I feel advertisers have taken advantage of this one sided way to finance programing. Who is to say what amount of advertising is a fare trade off for our time. WE are the ones buying their goods, they are passing the cost of advertising on to US, so WE are the ones paying for their advertising.

We pay them by having our eyeballs on their advertising. In turn, they remunerate us by paying money (buying advertising space) to the networks and producers of the content we enjoy on TV and radio. The producers pay their employees. Internet advertising works the same way. Advertisers support websites so they can produce content. People who view that comment see the ads.

It's actually a fairly symbiotic relationship between advertisers and end users. People who don't want to deal with commercials don't have to watch TV. Nobody's forcing us. We can buy DVDs instead of watching over-the-airwaves TV, purchase CDs instead of the radio, read books instead of magazines, etc.

Odd question. We are able to watch television, listen to radio and read papers, internet because of ads, not in spite of them. I hate advertising and I grew up in a pro advertising home. If it were not for the ads, we could not see our favorite shows, read our magazines, papers etc. As a big producer once said, the purpose of television is to sell stuff--it is not for entertainment. For the advertiser, the shows interrupt the ads, not vice versa. Theres a lot more older movies and old TV shows where I live because the station call sell medicine, canes, lifealerts and other sick aids stuff.

Not only are we asked to review a product, I've been getting emails lately from restaurants the day after I go there, asking how happy I was, how was the service, etc. If I call my Internet provider with a tech problem or question, or my health insurance company, I get a survey about how satisfied I was with their help. It seems you can't turn around any more without someone wanting to get a full evaluation!

Not only are we asked to review a product, I've been getting emails lately from restaurants the day after I go there, asking how happy I was, how was the service, etc. If I call my Internet provider with a tech problem or question, or my health insurance company, I get a survey about how satisfied I was with their help. It seems you can't turn around any more without someone wanting to get a full evaluation!
How are they getting your e mail??

I agree with Hollydolly, if you can record TV, then do so and
watch alter when you can whizz through the ads, I do.

Mike.

I agree with Hollydolly, if you can record TV, then do so and
watch alter when you can whizz through the ads, I do.

Mike.
I am doing more streaming with my Amazon Firestick...My children give me HuLu Gift Cards and I use them to cover monthly charges..We also have Amazon Prime and use my son's Netflix..Plenty of commercial free movies and YouTube.. (y) (y)

Remember when Youtube was ad free until Google bought then got the bright idea of trying to charge you $14.95 a month to go add free? Seriously. :oops:

Remember when Youtube was ad free until Google bought then got the bright idea of trying to charge you $14.95 a month to go add free? Seriously. :oops:
Addblock+ disables most of them and it's free, it works for me...:)

Back