Show Us A Picture You've Taken Of Something Unusual, Uncommon or Strange

A photo from a work job today. Royal Court Theatre, Wigan.
A Victorian theatre, which once hosted a performance by a young Charlie Chaplin.
Wigan's Royal Court Theatre closed in 1974 and was subsequently used as a bingo hall, nightclub and bar.
The Grade II listed building has been purchased by The Old Courts, who intend to convert into a creative hub.

51070844603_db9f57960c_h.jpg

Grout: Something I encountered in the attic of an old carriage house, where I took the picture below.

sep28_2016_1904grout.jpg

What you see in that attic room is a 1904 Grout steam automobile. I suspect very few people know or have ever heard of a Grout, which was manufactured by 3 Grout brothers in Orange, MA, from 1900 to 1912. They built both gas and steam autos.

There's A Submarine In The Yard! Certainly not your everyday sight, it looks like a sub has surfaced in the yard.

albacore_ai.jpg

That would be the USS Albacore, which can be seen at coordinates 43.082251, -70.766951. The Albacore was a research submarine testing new hull hydrodynamics. It also had unusual and troublesome diesel engines - two stacked radial diesels, made by GM, rather than the usual, inline diesel engines typical of the period (before atomic power).

Not Your Usual Trolley: Below is a picture of the 4th of only four ever made - a 1924 Montreal Tramway open-air trolley.

may9_2015_ct_tramway.jpg

Of the four units, two are in the Canadian Train Museum in Delson Quebec, one is at the Seashore Trolley Museum in Kennebunkport, ME and the 4th is in possession of the CT Trolley Museum in East Windsor, CT.

This may be one of the more unusual homes you will drive by.

montague_mccue_castle.jpg

As often happens, seeing this place turned on my "Who, what, why, when, how?" switch and prompted some investigation. What I found was that a painting business was listed at this address run by a man with ties to a disbanded hippy commune that had reunion festivals here. Interesting, indeed.

This may be one of the more unusual homes you will drive by.

montague_mccue_castle.jpg

As often happens, seeing this place turned on my "Who, what, why, when, how?" switch and prompted some investigation. What I round was that a painting business was listed at this address run by a man with ties to a disbanded hippy commune that had reunion festivals here. Interesting, indeed.
Wow... looks like something out of a Grimm's fairytale. I love it!

Back