Shower Only Twice A Week?! They Have GOT To Be Kidding!

I live in an assisted living facility and a shower a day is mandatory. I am independent and during the summer, I often take 2 or 3 showers. It is hot and humid and I spend a lot of time out doors.

When I think of the early 20th century, my skin crawls. Even back in the 1930s, I had to have a bath at bedtime.

I'm a bath person. I love soaking in the tub every night. I only take a shower if we have only a short time before going out. I have a walk-in tub now so it's easier to get in and out of,but I make sure I fill it up as high as I can. It also has a shower attachment and that's what I use to wash my hair
Depending on how much pain my Husband is in he does both every day

Showers every morning, and showers/baths alternately of an evening.

Soaking in the bath is my favourite.
I love to lay there for ages listening to music and watching the huge, powerful bubbles that erupt to the surface that cause mini tidal waves up and down the bath, and the aroma is soon taken away by having the windows open, the neighbour sitting in his garden usually has a peg handy for his nose. :)
^^^ Quite a visual.

I sometimes skip a day, in the middle of Winter, when I'm stuck indoors due to the weather. However, any day the weather permits, I'm usually outdoors doing some chores, and getting a bit dirty or sweaty....so a good shower is almost "mandatory".

Think of some of the people who get wiped out due to these violent storms...such as what just hit Louisiana. How do they maintain any personal hygiene? And, the thousands of homeless and street people who use the sidewalks/lawns as their "bathroom"....they must really be "stinky".

I live in an assisted living facility and a shower a day is mandatory. I am independent and during the summer, I often take 2 or 3 showers. It is hot and humid and I spend a lot of time out doors.

When I think of the early 20th century, my skin crawls. Even back in the 1930s, I had to have a bath at bedtime.
My DIL is like you...she usually showers twice a day. But that's actually supposed to be not too good for our skin, especially in hard water areas like where we are. Your water may be different according to what part of the state you're in. But, of course people must do what makes them comfortable..
@Don M. One of my BFF's good friends had a friend who wound up in the Astrodome after hurricane Katrina. She said the conditions were horrific. There were too many people and not nearly enough bathrooms. Here is an article that mentions the horrors those people suffered. I can't be anything but thankful that we are not experiencing anything like this!
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...atrina-when-the-astrodome-was-a-mass-shelter/
@Tish

I shower on average about 5 days a week, sometimes more, depends on the time of year and what I am doing. I don't think we need to do that, for most of human existence bathing was rare. But it seems to work now, and we are used to people smelling like they have recently bathed. Has not always been the case, Napoleon famously asked Josephine not to bathe for him ( https://www.historicmysteries.com/sexiness-stink-attraction-to-body-odor/ ).

On the other hand I am skeptical about the too much showering thing. My skin never seems to suffer from a shower.

I shower on average about 5 days a week, sometimes more, depends on the time of year and what I am doing. I don't think we need to do that, for most of human existence bathing was rare. But it seems to work now, and we are used to people smelling like they have recently bathed. Has not always been the case, Napoleon famously asked Josephine not to bathe for him ( https://www.historicmysteries.com/sexiness-stink-attraction-to-body-odor/ ).

On the other hand I am skeptical about the too much showering thing. My skin never seems to suffer from a shower.
Why can't I have a Napoleon as a husband? Darn!

Someone sent me something via email a while back with how different sayings came about. I will eventually compose a thread about it. But one of the things was the expression "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater". Way back when people in a household would all bathe using the same water. The baby was bathed last and by then the water was so dirty...poor baby probably couldn't even be seen. šŸ˜±šŸ¤®
@Tish

Shower Only Twice A Week?! They Have GOT To Be Kidding!​

Uh....no

I'm a shower whore
I try to hold it down to once a day

I went thru withdrawal for showers when living up at the cabin
But
The bath in the sun was pretty nice

lathered up.jpg

Someone sent me something via email a while back with how different sayings came about. I will eventually compose a thread about it. But one of the things was the expression "Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater". Way back when people in a household would all bathe using the same water. The baby was bathed last and by then the water was so dirty...poor baby probably couldn't even be seen. šŸ˜±šŸ¤®
@Tish
I remember when my mother and I lived in Northern Idaho with my Grandfather at the end of WWII. The three of us all bathed in one of those big zinc coated tubs in the kitchen with water heated on an old wood burning stove. I went first and still remember what that Zinc tub felt like when you sat in it. It was kind of scratchy. Fortunately we did not have a big family all trying to use this same water. This was a weekly event and it took a lot of wood to heat all that water which came into the house from an old hand pump well outside. My mother used that same tub and a scrub board to wash our clothes.

The toilet was also outside, and winters in Northern Idaho were on the chilly side to say the least.

When people talk about the "good old days", I think they are out of their minds.

My Demertologest told me to only shower maybe 3 times a week. She started telling me this when I turned 75. She said unless your outside working & sweating. She said as we get older & not doing anything. We need the oils in our skin to keep the top layer of skin from drying out. As when I would go see her every 6 months I would have lots of band-aids all over my arms or legs from bumping into things & the skin would tear. She told me this was from my dried out skin from showering too much, as the soap takes the oil from your skin.

She also told me to start putting Eucedrin all over my body when I get out of the shower & dried off. That also will put moisture & oils back into your skin. Been working great for me ever since as I'm now 86 years old.

I shower every day; 7 days/week. No article by some self proclaimed expert is going to change my mind. If you want to smell like the pig barn, I guess it's your choice in a democracy but don't come knocking my door or stand close to me when I'm shopping for groceries.

My Demertologest told me to only shower maybe 3 times a week. She started telling me this when I turned 75. She said unless your outside working & sweating. She said as we get older & not doing anything. We need the oils in our skin to keep the top layer of skin from drying out. As when I would go see her every 6 months I would have lots of band-aids all over my arms or legs from bumping into things & the skin would tear. She told me this was from my dried out skin from showering too much, as the soap takes the oil from your skin.

She also told me to start putting Eucedrin all over my body when I get out of the shower & dried off. That also will put moisture & oils back into your skin. Been working great for me ever since as I'm now 86 years old.
@Tom 86 , Glad I saw your post, I have horrible skin wounding on my forearms & back of hands. I just dropped some Eucerin in my Amazon shopping cart!

Back