Single Seniors - Are You Happier Being Single than Married?

Never thought it would be, but being single is my utopia. I'm responsible only for myself, something I've never experienced during the first 60 years of my life.

I'm a generally happy person, regardless of the circumstance.
But, lately , I've been missing the tenderness of intimacy, touching and taking care of a man.
First husband was HELL. Second was pretty nice but I think I'm happier with someone to love, respect and cherish.
I know what you mean Gaer. After my husband passed I felt I wouldn't ever want to be bothered with a relationship again. But it's been two and a half years now (hard to believe) and sometimes I feel like I wouldn't mind having a "friend without benefits"...LOL Still, I'm very happy being "single" again. I definitely would never marry again.

I was married for 26 years and have been single for the last 12 years. During these last 12 years, I've dated but had zero interest in getting remarried. I still feel that way. I recently met a nice man who doesn't want to get married, either. We spend time together on the weekends but it isn't smothering. It's been nice and relaxed.

Happily single for almost 22 yrs now. Celibate as well that long. i can still appreciate an attractive man, but i'm even more attracted by intelligence, humor, and compassion now than when younger. When puberty kicked in it forced me out of my solitary habits to satisfy the libido that blossomed tho exploded is more what it felt like. i've been married 3 times, best thing from first two was my children, best thing from #3 was finally figuring our why i made the choices did, but i was always better at picking male friends than husbands or lovers.

i am annoyed not flattered (despite their transparent attempts) by men on FB who want to start a 'friendship' with me and think making a 'cold call' type of reply (most recently wanting me to friend them) to a post of mine instead of hey--reply to the post, converse with me about the topic!!! On the upside they remind me why i'm 'not looking'. i wouldn't tempt the Universe by saying 'Never' (kind of how i got #3)...but don't even miss sex. Since Menopause occurred while still feeling connected to #3 so relatively sure my emotions a bigger factor in 'desire' than libido post menopause. And i likely would propase a Kahlo-Rivera housing situation should i ever find myself in a relationship.

But when i compare my levels of joy when partnered and when not--i joke with my kids that should i ever talk 'commitment' to man again they they might want to consider a mental health 'commitment'.

Are there any single seniors here that are happier than when they were married? Are you content to live alone and stay that way for the rest of your life? Those who never married, do you think that marrying someone would make you happier?

I've been married for a long time now, almost thirty nine years, and we lived together before that. I'm happy in my marriage, but if anything happened to my husband, I think I would rather be single and on my own. I doubt I'd have the desire for another serious relationship at all with another man.
I feel the same way. I have been married, so far for 37 years. Love him dearly but not sure I would want to go that route again. I may have a special friend but not marriage. He would definitely have his own place and I have mine.

Back