Single Seniors - Are You Happier Being Single than Married?

having never been married I couldnt say which is better...
I can't say one is better than the other. It depends on the people. My parents were married for 60 years and stayed in love and happy. I have been married 3 times and would never want to do it again. Depends on the people and what they want out of it or expect it to be.
I've never been married either but I know I wish I had been and still was.

After 2 divorces I met someone when I had stopped looking. Within a few days I felt like she was my "soul mate". We married ourselves, but never legally. We stopped having sex about 15 years ago. I am 69...she is younger a little. We have been together for about 30 years now. I am definitely happier with her as my closest friend, than being alone.

After what I look at what is out there it's mighty slim pickins and I'll stay single for the meantime. If someone good comes along fine but not holding my breath.

Its been a very long time since I was with someone and no I wasn't happier with him..with the right person I could be happier. My little dog makes me pretty happy now.

Last edited:
I hate being single. I was married for 27 years and then I was married for 17 more years. I miss living with someone. I miss the chit chat and the fun of traveling with someone. I miss the fun of cooking together and eating the meals together. Can't stand those singles that sit and waste their lives watching idiot box shows on TV. Seems that there are too many senior women out there that sit on the computer rather than getting out and enjoying life with a real person. Of course, all those men hatting women will attack me ASAP! Remember, gals, not all men are evil.

I hate being single. I was married for 27 years and then I was married for 17 more years. I miss living with someone. I miss the chit chat and the fun of traveling with someone. I miss the fun of cooking together and eating the meals together. Can't stand those singles that sit and waste their lives watching idiot box shows on TV. Seems that there are too many senior women out there that sit on the computer rather than getting out and enjoying life with a real person. Of course, all those men hatting women will attack me ASAP! Remember, gals, not all men are evil.
It's not that all men are considered evil anymore than all women are considered evil.

It's just that we live in a world full of dishonest people who are looking for an easy mark and will stoop to just about any depths to take every penny they can steal from some unsuspecting, trusting individual.

A lot of people, myself included, are afraid to expose ourselves to that kind of risk.

I know a guy on another forum who lives in Wisconsin. I got him to join here a few years ago, but it wasn't his cup of tea. Anyway, he got divorced last year from his 2nd or 3rd wife. They were married well over 10 years and together about 5 more.

So afterward, he sold the house and bought a smaller and cheaper one. He had some money left, so he signed up with one of these senior dating websites before the ink on the divorce papers was dry.

Wanted to jump right back into a relationship I guess. Show his ex that he could find someone else, too.

He immediately started getting responses from women who were obviously about half his age, all of them making a point of showing off their cleavage. You know good and well they weren't looking to marry or fall in love with a 62 year old man with a bad hip and other medical issues. They wanted to meet him and find out if he was gullible enough to give them money.

Sadly.... even though he knew what these women were up to, he was still gullible enough. He got together with one of them who came to his house with a bottle of booze and told him she was in dire need of $5,000.

But he was so "smart" he only gave her $2,000. 🙄

My most vivid memories of my marriage are the bad times.
I've been happily single for a very long time.

Most of my happily married buddies always told me, "gee it's too bad you never got married as you are a good guy and deserve a wonderful wife". By contrast my unhappily married buddies have told me, "you are so lucky you never married" and go on to say unflattering things about women.

I guess it all depends .....

I was married twice and the career that I wanted more then anything in the world ruined both of them. Both wives were teachers working days with weekends and holidays off and many a time I was on 2 hour callout, had to work 10 to 12 hours with 8 hours off then back to work for another 10 to 12 hours sometimes for 6 days straight depending on my reporting point. If I was outlawed at a distant terminal sometimes it would take me a day and a half to get back home only to go right back out in 8 hours for another 10 to 12 hours. Jobs were put up for bid twice a year and if you didn't have enough seniority to hold your position you could wind up in another state for 6 months. Never thought in the 50 years I worked I'd be alone, It is what it is.

Come to think of me not knowing that my two (2) count them too former wifies having been educators probably looked upon me as being their only male student always lecturing me, bossing me around and such then I remembered this funny as all get out scene in 187 between Mr. Garfield and Benny Chacon.

Would I have had the nerve to say: You ain't no teacher fool, you just a sub ese. or efe twice in one lifetime? Probably not. No fun sleeping in the car after work, twice in one lifetime. Thanks for reading.

Most of my happily married buddies always told me, "gee it's too bad you never got married as you are a good guy and deserve a wonderful wife". By contrast my unhappily married buddies have told me, "you are so lucky you never married" and go on to say unflattering things about women.

I guess it all depends .....
If I'd have paid more attention to the problems we had before she got into drugs, she might not have taken that path.
No way to know for sure.

Back