slow day on this net today and yesterday

So, as is so often the case, [Thanksgiving] is just an excuse to stuff yourself? I wonder how many Americans can remember the origins of the tradition?
Seriously Rosemarie? I see that under your avatar it says you're from England. I hope you're not being as arrogant as it appears. Are you really "so often" accusing Americans of being too stupid and shallow to know or care what the meaning of Thanksgiving is since all we think is it's "just an excuse to stuff ourselves" and aren't grateful for God's blessings nor mindful enough to give a wit about our American history? That's rhetorical btw. I know the answer but just want you to think about it.

It's just a shame that your quote above was your response to one of our sweet members who posted what traditional dishes we Americans enjoy sharing with friends, family, and the needy...She said, "You would love it, roasted turkey, corn bread stuffing with sausage, mashed potatoes, lots of gravy, cranberry sauce, sweet potatoes...Try it you’ll love it!"

And you tried to make that into something ugly? I can't wait to hear your take on American's excuse for celebrating Christmas and then asking if we even know the meaning.

Sorry I have addressed this so boldly but your cynicism stepped on my Season's Joy ⛄ 🥳🎄

Last edited:
Pumpkin pie is best when it's homemade with a flaky crust and NOT using "Pumpkin Spice". I use individual spices of ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, and a touch of ground nutmeg...all fresh. And I make sure it's well cooked....nothing worse than a gushy filling. The eggs in it fluff it up a bit when cooked just right.
We were in the food manufacturing business and I made hundreds of pumpkin pies...vegan to full fat ones. We posted recipes using our products and so forth. Made them with cream cheese, whipped cream, fresh ground spices, even added black pepper. All were "ok", nothing to write home about.

Now if you want to talk about something that makes all the difference in the world as to how you make it, its gingerbread. The food editor of the old Gourmet mag auditioned for the job with the best tasting gingerbread I ever laid my lips on!

Pumpkin pie is best when it's homemade with a flaky crust and NOT using "Pumpkin Spice". I use individual spices of ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, and a touch of ground nutmeg...all fresh. And I make sure it's well cooked....nothing worse than a gushy filling. The eggs in it fluff it up a bit when cooked just right.

Recipe or link? If not too complex, I will try to make it. I like the store bought one but it seems to have an aftertaste, don't know if it's just me.

Recipe or link? If not too complex, I will try to make it. I like the store bought one but it seems to have an aftertaste, don't know if it's just me.
I'll look for it. The filling is on the back of Libby's canned Pumpkin but be careful not to get the one with Pumpkin Spice already in it...that's probably what that aftertaste is that you described. The two cans are right next to each other and look very similar and both by Libby's. So read the label. I think the bad one is a little darker orange on the label. You'll need your own individual spices needed as listed in the recipe on the back.

The crust is my grandmother's recipe. She owned a big old hunting lodge on Cranberry Lake in New York and pies were her specialty.

Sometimes I opt for Costco's Pumpkin Pie for a large crowd (it's huge for only 5.95). It's delicious but I always take it home and sprinkle the top with ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg. I just love those spices but it's probably too strong for most.

I'll look for it. The filling is on the back of Libby's canned Pumpkin but be careful not to get the one with Pumpkin Spice already in it...that's probably what that aftertaste is that you described. The two cans are right next to each other and look very similar and both by Libby's. So read the label. I think the bad one is a little darker orange on the label. You'll need your own individual spices needed as listed in the recipe on the back.

The crust is my grandmother's recipe. She owned a big old hunting lodge on Cranberry Lake in New York and pies were her specialty.

Sometimes I opt for Costco's Pumpkin Pie for a large crowd (it's huge for only 5.95). It's delicious but I always take it home and sprinkle the top with ginger, cinnamon, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg. I just love those spices but it's probably too strong for most.
I appreciate it if you find it. I already have cinnamon and nutmeg, will need to get ginger and cloves (I seldom use the last two, can't skip them?)

I only use nutmeg and cloves during the holiday season myself. You could skip the nutmeg for sure but the cinnamon is essential. The piecrust recipe is just like many but she made sure to use chilled water and she used Crisco instead of butter.

This year, when I make the crust, I'm going use Miyoku's European style Vegan Butter. It's Plant Based and tastes better. It also melts and and is just like butter in performance...actually better!

Ingredients: Organic Coconut Oil, Filtered Water, Organic Sunflower Oil, Organic Cashews, Organic Sunflower Lecithin, Sea Salt, Cultures.

I used this "Butter" this morning to fry my eggs. The eggs didn't stick to the pan and tasted better than ever before!
I also used this "Butter" on toast and it was the best toast I ever had...and plant based!

I'll be using this Plant-Based Butter for Thanksmas mashed potatoes and stuffing too!!

HLY-Vegan-Butter-Product.jpg

Last edited:
Patti LaBelle makes and sells at Walmart a fab Sweet Potato Pie and a Pumpkin one. They are extra large and sell for around $5.88. You can only get at Walmart and during holidays. However my daughter says at her Walmart's they carry her banana pudding and cherry cobbler. I don't get to Walmart much because of driving issues.

I already have cinnamon and nutmeg, will need to get ginger and cloves (I seldom use the last two, can't skip them?)

I would skip the cloves if I didn't have any handy. Even if you get them, you'd have to only use a tiny bit of it, so you'd then have a lifetime supply :ROFLMAO: and no one misses the tiny bit of cloves if they aren't there.
Except maybe @Lara who loves hers spicy! :giggle: (y) :LOL:

(But she could sprinkle her extra spices on top of her slice! :) )

Myself, I now have to leave out the cinnamon too, and I put only tiny amounts of any of the spices that could irritate ,
but I still like it even while it is milder; As long as you don't forget the essentials, it's good! Honey OR molasses OR brown sugar...
And don't leave out the pumpkin! ;)
(Or squash)

Last edited:
I just don't care for pumpkin pie. I like the smells of the spices and sometimes simmer a small pan of cloves and cinnamon on the stove for the fragrance but I can't get past tasting cinnamon and clove in a sweet dish.

To me, they belong with savory things like tomatoes, onions, garlic, rice, saffron, etc.

I do like nutmeg and ginger. Maybe just those two spices would do it for me. What if one used pecan halves on top, as for pecan pie but not as "sweet as a toothache"? Or would they sink? (I don't bake)

Could you use ground, toasted pecans or almonds or even walnuts in the crust?

Oh wait.....years ago, a friend made a pumpkin pie from those sugar pumpkins especially for pies, that her hub grew in their garden. She roasted chunks in the oven until they got all caramelized.

She and her sister were famous for their pie crusts for some reason and no, she didn't get every single "string" out of the pulp, but I have to say that pie was outstanding!

RadishRose, I'm not a big fan of pumpkin pie, either, nor of mince pie Not sure why, but I just do not care for them. I used to eat a small piece of pumpkin pie to avoid hurting my grandma's feelings but mince pie? Just no.

But I used to make pumpkin pie for everybody else at Thanksgiving anyway. Just because I don't like it doesn't mean they shouldn't enjoy it.

Back