So as not to hijack another thread about cash

GeorgiaXplant

About 10 years ago on another forum, a poster challenged other to a simple plan to save. We used to save change, but she expanded on that and besides saving her change at the end of every day, she put aside dollar bills. I tried it and was surprised at how fast it added up. Then I kind of forgot about it after DH died, I moved, life happened.

A couple of weeks ago DD and I were talking about saving change when I remembered the dollar bill thing so started doing it again. So far? When I counted Thursday, there was already $40. I mean...you know, that's walking around money and doesn't amount to much in the overall scheme of things, but September isn't half over yet and $40?

Anybody else wanna join me just for sh!ts and giggles and see how much we end up with by the end of the year? When I did this the first time around, I kept it in an envelope. Now I've got a "lett-us-hide" where I stash it in the fridge (lends new meaning to having "cold cash"). Trouble is that the opening is small and it's filling up fast so I've gotta find a new place to keep it.

We could post our progress weekly.

Sure why not!

I had an old friend that used to toss $10.00 into a beer stein on the days that he didn't walk down to the local saloon to catch the news. The stein tended to fill up in the winter and run dry during the summer.

The cold cash made me think of my father, he used to keep good sized sums of money in the freezer wrapped in white butcher paper labeled venison liver.

No matter how you do it saving a little money is a great habit to get into.

I had a boss who said if a person put a dime or quarter in a "piggy bank" or jar every time he/she turned on the T.V., by the time it needed to be replaced, there would be enough money to do so.

I actually have a savings/investment plan in place already and have for decades. It's such a habit that I feel strange when I don't save/invest that month. I was saving/investing most of my Social Security but had to pay off a cruise (interest free) so I cut back a bit over the last few months. You are on the right track though. Saving change and dollar bills is better than not saving anything. Many people think if they are not saving big, it's not worth bothering and that's so wrong. So keep it up. You'll be so happy with yourself when you see how well it accumulates. šŸ˜

I don't usually keep much money in the house but I do have a change box.. A few months ago I counted it out and there was over Ā£400, but that was over a year or so

IMG-41977.jpg

The box only has a handful of pennies in it now, so I'll come in on this too... .. I won't be putting Pound coins or notes in tho'...

Last edited:
I don't carry cash at all, so the dollar bill thing wouldn't work for me. But sometimes I keep track of what I would have spent on something I've let go (like my land line) and throw it into my savings account. That has worked well for me.

I have kept a change jar for years. Often I cash it in at Thanksgiving time to cover the shopping trip for dinner.
I know I have a few dollar bills in the wallet. I shall contribute them to my jar

Annnnd...I just got another dollar to put in the lett-us-hide! I went along with DD to drive down and take DGD back to her dorm after spending the weekend at home. On the way back we treated ourselves to iced coffee from Starbucks. I paid...LOL...just to get change! Somehow, spending doesn't seem like quite the way to "save." :ROFLMAO:

I don't usually keep much money in the house but I do have a change box.. A few months ago I counted it out and there was over Ā£400, but that was over a year or so

IMG-41977.jpg

The box only has a handful of pennies in it now, so I'll come in on this too... .. I won't be putting Pound coins or notes in tho'...
Holly,

Your box of coins reminded me of a fellow that I worked with years ago. He used to tell the story of how his grandfather kept a bowl of silver dollars in his study and when the children had a birthday or a special event like good grades at school they were allowed to reach in the bowl and take out a handful of silver dollars, as the children got older the reward obviously got bigger. It's funny the odd things that float around in my head and yet I can't seem to remember if I turned off the stove or locked the door.

The downside of saving. The rate of inflation. Your cash money deteriorates. You could have bought something and enjoyed it instead of saving up for it.
Sad but true...and I'm talking about my savings in the bank. I often think I should spend it, because by the time I may need it in a few years it will have gained like 1% interest and due to inflation have about 20% less spending power!!

A long time ago when I was a young man in my prime and married.

My wife asked me how long we would live.
I said if I make it to 59 I will be happy.
She said, let's take all of the money out of the bank and have some fun.
I have never forgotten that.
And every time I feel guilty about spending money I remind myself.

I don't let change accumulate. I spend it as fast as I can. Because it's basically worthless. Just recently I have started to put aside every $10 bill that I get. Well not all of them. If they are really nasty and beat up I don't keep them. But if they are in good shape I keep them. So far I have 11 of them. So that's $110 bucks. When I get enough of them I'm going to get a big heavy duty rubber band and make myself a roll like the ones that the gangsters on TV and in the movies always carry. Of course they always have 100's in their rolls, but I can't afford to do that.

01acb2c01a067c29b57b753fdb80e044.jpg

Last edited:
I don't let change accumulate. I spend it as fast as I can. Because it's basically worthless. Just recently I have started to put aside every $10 bill that I get. Well not all of them. If they are really nasty and beat up I don't keep them. But if they are in good shape I keep them. So far I have 11 of them. So that's $110 bucks. When I get enough of them I'm going to get a big heavy duty rubber band and make myself a roll like the ones that the gangsters on TV and in the movies always carry. Of course they always have 100's in their rolls, but I can't afford to do that.

View attachment 76189

All you really need is one hundred for the outside of the roll.

I almost never use cash, it would take me forever to fill up even a pickle jar with change. I like to buy stocks that pay dividends and I enjoy watching the brokerage cash increase with those dividends. That is MY version of your plan. When the bear market comes I'll use that money to buy stocks on sale and then start all over again and let the dividends accumulate.

Um...How nice for you, but I'm talking about one dollar bills and coins here, not $20s, $50s, $100s. Pocket change. Walking around money. The last time I had enough $$ to be concerned with stocks was in 2009.

Um...How nice for you, but I'm talking about one dollar bills and coins here, not $20s, $50s, $100s. Pocket change. Walking around money. The last time I had enough $$ to be concerned with stocks was in 2009.

Like I said in my post, I hardly ever pay with cash so there's no pocket change to squirrel away. I do carry $40 in cash in my wallet just in case I need cash. I was NOT bragging, just giving my version of money that grows without me thinking about it.

Back