So, how's your outlook on life? Positive? Negative?

Ceege

"A new study published in the journal Psychological Science found that people who feel enthusiastic and cheerful -- what psychologists call "positive affect" -- are less likely to experience memory decline as they age. This result adds to a growing body of research on positive affect's role in healthy aging."
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/10/201029135501.htm?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

I try to have a good attitude about things. It's like the old Serenity Prayer: Changing the things you can and accepting the things you can't.

And, this quote by C. R. Swindoll, even if it is a little long, has always been my favorite......

"The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of
attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important
than facts. It is more important than the past, the
education, the money, than circumstances, than
failure, than successes, than what other people
think or say or do. It is more important than
appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or
break a company... a church... a home. The
remarkable thing is we have a choice everyday
regarding the attitude we will embrace for that
day. We cannot change our past... we cannot
change the fact that people will act in a certain
way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only
thing we can do is play on the one string we have,
and that is our attitude. I am convinced that life is
10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react
to it. And so it is with you... we are in charge of
our Attitudes."

I don't feel overly enthusiastic or cheerful during this time of pandemic and other social issues, but overall I do have a positive attitude and do find some joy in everyday life despite the world turmoil. I'd say I'm much more positive than negative, if this helps me with dementia, that's another plus. :)

I'm pretty positive most of the time. But, I must admit that I've had some sad days since my husband passed away in the spring. I knew for several years that he would pass away before me and I used to think of things I would do when it happened to make new friends and pass the time. Maybe join a book club and look for other group activities. But, all that has been impossible to do because of the restrictions. I've put those things on hold. I see my son, daughter-in-law, and granddaughter a couple times a month. My positive attitude is pretty much up to me. And that's the attitude I choose to work at. It's been hard to do in 2020. Hoping for a better 2021. I know thousands feel the same.

I've always been a positive person (except during the worst of my last marriage) and a realist, and tend to look for the best in people and things. No matter the situation, I try and find an upside. It annoys people sometimes, (usually just the negative sorts) when they want to wallow in their misery, and I'm trying to get them to find some benefit or positive in their situation. I back off if I'm annoying them, but it's my approach to everything. Even as anxious and depressed as I became when Covid hit, I was still looking for the upsides. I could get a bunch of organization done in the house, I could catch up on my scrapbooking, Ron and I could spend more time together etc.

Last edited:
I find the best way to stay positive is to keep active physically. This all the steps and weights. There is an element of vanity to be sure but the endorphins and stress relief from banging weights or running really help.
My job is very stressful and if I make a mistake fairly large sums of money could be lost in a trade. As well, the Chinese are not good ethical trading partners and it is a constant struggle and watching your back 100 percent of the time. They have no compunction of walking away from a agreed on deal if it no longer suits them.

Back