So much fun

Garydavid

Remember the old amusement parks? The whole family could stay all day with a pocket full of change! This is the one I used to go to.
0f35faf4ffac6646f5110e220b0a9dbd.jpg

3327cf8efcc55d843b4d9dd512a549da.jpg
4176f115872e757f2d5b479a46f10d28.jpg
mp10.jpg

1950s_romeo_train.jpg

834a63b3083ce4e3c1dcf87ff088099f.jpg

ce8a6f09ee57fea28abcccca832969df.jpg

369f493f0da5ab5fbf202b1fdcacef75.jpg

Good times gone by:whythis::whythis::(

Our last local amusement park opened in 1898 and closed in 1973.

The old wooden roller coaster opened in 1926 and was being used up until the closing of the park.

In the 70's a kid could ride the various rides all day long for 99 cents and 6 Canada Dry bottle caps.

20207268-standard.jpg

Many of our local amusement parks were built, owned and operated by the local trolley companies as a way to increase ridership on summer nights, weekends and holidays.

Yes. The one I showed you was also owned by a trolly company. Now it costs a fortune just to park and have a sandwitch. No drink or ride either:(

Gosh, these brought back memories. Not the same places, but so similar. I fact, that little train looks like a duplicate of one here.

There is still an amusement park in Middlebury on a lake name Quassapaug. It's ben there since 1902, but very different now. It had an old classic E. Joy Morris carousel they sold in 1989 to keep the park alive. Today, the music machine is gone and the animals replaced with fiberglass figures. The music is recorded.

qcarousel.jpg

qua.jpg
This one is an early one. I rode it many times!
Wooden_Warrior-5.jpg
The Wooden Warrior goes through some trees.

q.jpg

In Agawam MA, there was Riverside Park and Speedway, not far from us here in CT. It was a lot bigger than what we had here.

Gallup's Grove (1870–1886)
Riverside Grove (1887–1911)
Riverside Amusement Park (1912–1999)

It is now Six Flags New England.

Yes. Six flags has been there a long time and has grown so much over the years and so has the price:rolleyes:.
I would much rather mountain park but seeing thats gone then the eastern states exposition would be my next choice. Its expensive as well but the food is really good:D

We still have them here, mostly at the seaside or coastal towns where they're a constant, and annually most large towns get a travelling fair which stay for a couple of weeks before moving on...

This is the one nearest to us, about 45 minutes drive... my husband was born and raised 5 minutes from it....

DSCF0155.jpg

DSCF0154.jpg

DSCF0153.jpg

As well as the rides you can see, there's old fashioned Chair-o-planes, and waltzers and dodgems etc... as well as all the modern rides

When I was in elementary school ,every year we had a terrific day at Willow Grove Park in Pa.
Captive_Flying_Machine,_Willow_Grove_Park,_ca._1905_(6642937493).jpg
And every summer we took a 2 week vacation in Wildwood NJ. A lot of my cousins would be there too.

!BRvuYyg!2k~$(KGrHgoH-C8EjlLlh!lGBJ+n)yRtFw~~_3.JPG

We still have one "family owned" amusement park here in Pennsylvania. Patrons pay per ride, maybe a few bucks each. It sure doesn't break the bank. The food isn't all that expensive, either. When I patrolled that area, I would stop in and walk through the park and talk to the kids. They really enjoyed talking to a State Trooper. I miss those times.

https://www.knoebels.com/ Pronounced: Kuh' no bels

We still have one "family owned" amusement park here in Pennsylvania. Patrons pay per ride, maybe a few bucks each. It sure doesn't break the bank. The food isn't all that expensive, either. When I patrolled that area, I would stop in and walk through the park and talk to the kids. They really enjoyed talking to a State Trooper. I miss those times.

https://www.knoebels.com/ Pronounced: Kuh' no bels

Looks like a nice place. I used to love amusement parks.

Thats nice to hear that. there's not to many places one can take.a family and not cost a fortune. And yes I miss those days as well.

Back