So...Rick got a jury duty summons!!

Marie5656

To start, for those who do not know, my husband passed in April of this year.
A few weeks before Rick died, he got one of those Jury duty questionaires in the mail. I brought it to the nursing home, he filled it in and sent it back, remarking that he has NEVER gotten summoned to Jury Duty in all of his 66 years. He said he would not object to serving.

In todays mail, a Jury summons. I knew it was not for me, I got one last year. I emailed the county, at the address provided, attached his death certificate. Hope all is set now.

Here in SC, you don't have to serve once you are over 65 and I don't. I did serve on several juries prior to that age. Often, I would get excused because defense lawyers don't like people with graduate degrees, especially engineers, and especially retired Naval Officers. When I did get selected, I generally got appointed to act as foreman by the Judge. You don't really want to be foreman if you can avoid it.

Here in SC, you don't have to serve once you are over 65 and I don't. I did serve on several juries prior to that age. Often, I would get excused because defense lawyers don't like people with graduate degrees, especially engineers, and especially retired Naval Officers. When I did get selected, I generally got appointed to act as foreman by the Judge. You don't really want to be foreman if you can avoid it.

I thought it was the same here. He was 66 when he died, a few weeks shy of 67.

I served on Jury duty many years ago when I was in my early 20's. I still remember it like it was yesterday. The defendant 's name ,address and that He was charged with Rape, incest and corrupting the morals of a minor. I would never want to serve again.Hopefully I am too old.

Here in SC, you don't have to serve once you are over 65 and I don't.

Here in Alabama you can opt out if you're 70 or over.

About three weeks before I turned 70 I got a notice in the mail that I might get called. I looked at how much they paid for Jury Duty and said "To Hell with that!" The way I see it my 4 years in the Air Force covers my "civic duty" thing. I checked the opt out due to my age block. I figured by the time they got around to calling me I'd be 70. Haven't heard from them since.

Last edited:

Back