So, what is your average retired week like?

Uptosnuff

I am not retired yet and my week goes something like this:
Monday, roll out of bed at 5:30 a.m. get myself ready for work. Pack breakfast, usually a smoothie made from kefir and fruit, sometimes cereal, sometimes a hard boiled egg. If I have time, pack lunch as well. Work from 7:30 - 4:00. Home at 4:45. My eyes are so tired from looking at the computer screen all day that I just want to sit, relax and close my eyes for a while. Sometimes, do a dvd workout or get on my eliptical. Then, either make dinner or eat dinner hubs has made. After that, maybe go for a short car ride, a walk or whatever. Home, then watch tv, fall asleep on the couch, then bed.

The rest of the week is pretty much the same. In the summertime I am outside more when I get home, sometimes go for a bike ride.

Weekends, I am busy doing the housework that was neglected during the week or running errands that need to be done. Occasionally eat out, usually a casual, fast food type of place. There is never enough time to do all that needs to be done.

SO, I was wondering what the average week was like of people who are retired. I realize that personal preferences are going to make everyone's week different, but just interested in how you spend your time.

Day 1: wake up, stretch, breakfast, catch up on emails and computer stuff, house chores, lunch, more chores and bit of relaxation with good book or bit of TV, dinner, more relaxation with book, TV and computer catchup, bed. Occasional social interaction with neighbors, trips to market, doctors appointment worked in. Rinse and repeat Day 2 through 7

Tough life

Day 1: wake up, stretch, breakfast, catch up on emails and computer stuff, house chores, lunch, more chores and bit of relaxation with good book or bit of TV, dinner, more relaxation with book, TV and computer catchup, bed. Occasional social interaction with neighbors, trips to market, doctors appointment worked in. Rinse and repeat Day 2 through 7

Tough life
Ditto...

...my life was a repeat of the OP until I took early retirement 2 summers ago...

Get up when we wake up. Do the usual wash face, brush teeth, then go have breakfast. Depending on how we feel hit either the fitness center or walk for a couple of hours. No special days to go out to eat out & gambol a couple times a week. Neighbors need help with DIY projects so that fills some days.

Other days tend to herb garden or spend time making meals with fresh vegies & whatever protien seems to go best. Baking different desserts wife teaches neighborhood kids that want to learn. TV with Amazon Prime, HULU, Envidia, Netflix depending on what we feel like. Other time spent typing nonsense online just to try to keep the old grey matter working. Doesn't seem like much but the days fly by faster than they did when we had a structured life during or working years.

Tough life

My day goes something like that too ... but with dog walks early morning, mid-day, and evening. .. I get to catch up with neighbors on my outdoor excursions.. pretty much a 7 day routine.
During the week, I can sit on my outdoor patio and watch for my granddaughter's school bus to go by in the afternoon.
And on weekends, I spend time with family to catch up with their doings.
Life is good.

Most days: Wake Up, go take a nice warn shower, get dressed and down to the kitchen to make breakfast which usually consists of yogurt and Basic 4 cereal. I then take my dog out back for her to do her business and then back into the house. I will then do any dishes that need to be done and then I will sit down in my recliner chair and drink a cup of coffee and watch some old TV sitcom.

If my daughter or son has off work I will get together with them for lunch and with my daughter some shopping will be done. If I have a doctors appointment I will go to that. I usually do my grocery shopping mid week on Wednesday and laundry is basically whenever it is needed as it is only my clothing.

Tough life

Cool that you start your day with a stretch. I lead a morning stretch class at work. Just 10 minutes, gentle morning stretches to get people moving and ready for the day ahead. Not many people come to it, but it is a huge benefit for me. The more I can stretch, the better. :)

@Silverfox " I usually do my grocery shopping mid week on Wednesday"

I wondered how many people do their grocery shopping according to when the stores give senior discounts. Around here, HyVees have their senior discount days on Wednesday, so that's when we might be going once I'm retired. I'll have to see how much of a discount they give.

@Silverfox " I usually do my grocery shopping mid week on Wednesday"

I wondered how many people do their grocery shopping according to when the stores give senior discounts. Around here, HyVees have their senior discount days on Wednesday, so that's when we might be going once I'm retired. I'll have to see how much of a discount they give.
I am not sure if Wednesday is the Senior discount day for grocery shoppers. I do know whenever I go I try and buy the sale items if it is on my list. My grocery shopping usually isn't extensive since I am only shopping for myself now.

I don’t have a routine, and just do whatever I feel like, I’m usually up, showered and ready to go out by 11, most days I meet a friend or my daughter for coffee or lunch, do some shopping, if the weather’s good go for a walk, read, watch a bit of TV and cook the evening meal

It’s a hard life .....:D

Get up.....about ten minutes after I wake up
usually it's in the AM....probably

Sometimes it's early enough to hear neighbors warming their cars up to go to work
That usually gives me a smile, right before giggling myself back to sweet slumber

Once up, I stroll into the kitchen to see what my lady is fixing me for breakfast, while scratching my hind end

Then here

Then the shower
I really could spend more time in the shower, like half the day
That thought usually hits me right after rinsing
I should look in to larger showers, with some sorta plastic pillows

Then our 3 mile walk to the lake

Then the shop
Crank up AC/DC or Led Z and figger out what next to build
That's pretty much my day right now

Night, I'm on here and about four other sites
Oh, and do some writing
Then we wake each other up around midnight and discuss actually going to bed

That's probably my week
Day of the week?
Let's see, Sunday is different....that's the day mail doesn't come

Monday through Wednesday - get up whenever I wake up, have coffee then breakfast (lots of fresh fruit) and do whatever I had planned for the day. These three days are for appointments, care giving for my mother-in-law, buy groceries and play as much pickleball as I can. Get home in the afternoon and eat dinner then watch TV (recorded or streaming) or read an e-book and go to bed around 10 PM.

Thursday through Sunday - mornings like above but on Thursday it's pack up the car with groceries and head to the lake for a long weekend. Once there, it is relax and enjoy the peace and quiet of the country, maybe boat on the lake, catch up with the neighbors and look around at what my kinds of home improvements they are making. Gotta love this economy!

Sprinkle in a few meals out and maybe some other special activity and, or course, some cleaning and home maintenance (but only when I feel like it).

Last edited:
Well, I wake up....hungover, reach for the remote in the early morning light which opens the bedroom drapes in my Malibu beach house to the full wall panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean. As I put the remote back I knock over several bottles of half empty Dom Perignon on my night stand.

I slowly roll over and pray that one of the Kardashians aren’t in my bed. Whew, nope, just some Victoria Secret model that I don’t even remember her name. So this is going to be awkward trying to figure that out.

I give her the keys to my Lamborghini and she heads off to get us some breakfast. Now I can Google her while she’s gone and figure out her name before she gets back.

10 minutes later the doorbell rings and it’s my neighbor, Jame Seymour ...ugh, can’t she just leave me alone......just for once!

Yeah, my typical day

Every morning starts around nine unless I've been up half the night reading a particularly good book. I start the day with 2 eggs and 2 cups of coffee. I tidy up the house, prep what I want to have for dinner in case I get involved in a project inside or out and don't want to stop early to make dinner. One day is devoted to cleaning,changing sheets and the wash. One day for grocery shopping and errands. The rest is up for grabs. So much to choose from, I'm never bored.

Monday is laundry. Sorting out from the weekend.
Tuesday is small cleaning, gyros with a few of the neighbors then wine on my patio.
Wednesday is laundry and more cleaning.
Thursday is whatever.
Friday is going to Salon at a neighbors or Happy Hour at our house or doing something with a neighbor.
Sat is social things, maybe shopping. Day trips to fun places or trips to the zoo etc.
Sunday is whatever. Sometimes lunch at our favorite Mexican food place.
I feed the pets each day and the birds outside. Most mornings I am up early enough to watch the sun come up, my favorite time of day. The kitchen needs attention everyday. Coffee pods need cleaned and refilled. Our exchange student needs attention of some sort each day, I love being a host mom. There is an online game I enjoy and play some most days.

I haven't been bored yet. :)

Monday is laundry. Sorting out from the weekend.
Tuesday is small cleaning, gyros with a few of the neighbors then wine on my patio.
Wednesday is laundry and more cleaning.
Thursday is whatever.
Friday is going to Salon at a neighbors or Happy Hour at our house or doing something with a neighbor.
Sat is social things, maybe shopping. Day trips to fun places or trips to the zoo etc.
Sunday is whatever. Sometimes lunch at our favorite Mexican food place.
I feed the pets each day and the birds outside. Most mornings I am up early enough to watch the sun come up, my favorite time of day. The kitchen needs attention everyday. Coffee pods need cleaned and refilled. Our exchange student needs attention of some sort each day, I love being a host mom. There is an online game I enjoy and play some most days.

I haven't been bored yet. :)

How long have you been hosting exchange students? I've always found that idea interesting.

I'm forever being asked "
Well, I wake up....hungover, reach for the remote in the early morning light which opens the bedroom drapes in my Malibu beach house to the full wall panoramic view of the Pacific Ocean. As I put the remote back I knock over several bottles of half empty Dom Perignon on my night stand.

I slowly roll over and pray that one of the Kardashians aren’t in my bed. Whew, nope, just some Victoria Secret model that I don’t even remember her name. So this is going to be awkward trying to figure that out.

I give her the keys to my Lamborghini and she heads off to get us some breakfast. Now I can Google her while she’s gone and figure out her name before she gets back.

10 minutes later the doorbell rings and it’s my neighbor, Jame Seymour ...ugh, can’t she just leave me alone......just for once!

Yeah, my typical day

Gee, it must be wonderful to be you.

Back