So, what is your average retired week like?

The most beautiful thing about being retired is never to have to make a schedule, at least for me. I do whatever I please. Some nights I go to bed at 10pm, other nights at 2am, today I woke up at 9am but most mornings at 7am. If something does not get done today, there is always tomorrow. I like to grocery shop on Sunday morning since the traffic is light and the parking lot is mostly empty, but if I don't feel like it I can always wait a few more days and just eat whatever is available, I call it my ''creative meals''.

Retirement is ''procrastination nirvana''. :cool:

Last edited:
Not much. Waiting for hubby to retire in Nov. Going to Las Vegas, Nevada on Nov. 1st. for his 60th birthday. I check to see where you are all from but I am stumped for where "Mount Pilot" is.
You must not have been a fan of "The Andy Griffith Show". They live in Mayberry, not far from Mount Pilot, and Aunt Bea is Andy the widowed sheriff's aunt who takes loving care of him and his adorable son Opie (a very young Ron Howard). Still love the repeats.

Last edited:
get up between 6 and 6.30--drink coffee-throw a load of clothes in washer-(have to wait for my turn in bathroom to get cleaned up) clean kitchen-if my s-i l- watches the puppy i can vacuum-he comes after the vac so i cant do it if he is arround- then i crochet or knit on my turbo

I walk the dogs every morning, do a NY Times crossword with the hubs twice a day, play bridge on Thursdays and alternate Tuesdays, swim with my daughter after her work twice a week, go to Walmart far more often than I should, and do chores, laundry, cleaning, and the occasional jigsaw puzzle. And read. Take day trips or longer when the mood strikes or I see something interesting on TV. In bed by 10. Repeat as needed. Next trip is to see friends in Houston, then on to Baton Rouge to eat my weight in Cajun food.

How long have you been hosting exchange students? I've always found that idea interesting.
This is our 4th student. We take breaks of a few years between kids usually. This time we are hosting for the 2nd yr in a row. I really enjoy being a mom.

Rotary has a program and STS is another one. They are always looking for host parents. You don't need to be a couple, single parents are fine. Just give either one a call or take a look on line. I am happy to answer any questions too.

Every morning I usually get up between 6-6:30 The first thing I do after getting out of bed:
I go on my mat to do exercises for my partial right knee{surgery was in 2004}.Then I take my 1st walk of the day to get the NYT While I'm eating my breakfast,I ck my emails,come here
Mon&Tues mornings I walk 6 blocks to a volunteer org,Canopy of Neighbors. I have a list of members I call every week,do other office work usually there for 2 hrs
Thurs&Fri mornings,I walk 7 blocks to my church,I volunteer in our business office doing various 'jobs'
On weekend,read local paper,take my walks,read my book
I try to take 3 walks/day weather permitting

Quick Stretch/Neck Lifts/Feet and Ankle warm-ups and listen to news headlines while still in bed. Get Up between 5 and 5:30. Hygiene, Coffee, Breakfast, Walk a mile outside (most days).
Some Chores then 20 Minute workout with Sit and Be Fit (M-F's).
Few more Chores. Creative Visualization and/or Mindful Meditations.
Two to three times a week get on the computer for awhile.
Three mornings a week shop stores or Farmers Market and return/pick up library DVD's on numerous subjects.
At least once a month we go to a good walking park or gardens for a walk and lunch out. Occasionally its a kids playground to swing etc.
Afternoons after lunch, as many of the following as time, health, energy etc. allows and which ones interest me that day: watch the wildlife we feed daily, Sewing, Watercolor and/or Colored Pencil Art, Beading, creative weaving and boutique yarn creations, listen to music, walk and/or sit in the courtyard/porch/gardens, watch DVD's.
Occasionally work a little in the gardens.
Sometimes take a nap.
If it is Sunday or Thursday I lift weights. Almost daily we tip on the inversion table.
Dinner and kitchen chores. More hygiene/self care.
After dinner watch a little TV or DVD's and/or Creative Visualization/Meditation. Do a little bit of Yoga/Stretch/Qi Jong/and Self Massage neck, feet, hands, jaw, scalp. Once a year it is an overnighter trip in the Motorhome to the Ocean.

Last edited:
It can vary but usually I get up between five or six in the morning as I can’t sleep in and I have no idea why, then I thank God that I woke up that morning then start the coffee pot for my husband and I to visit out by the pool for about an hour and a half then get all my materials for my Bible study that takes about an hour or so that starts my day off right then I take a nice walk in the neighborhood for about 40 minutes or so then come home have a little breakfast get hydrated then do some chores around the house sit and relax for a little while then practice my piano and sometimes run some errands in the community sometimes I’ll go to the library and usually once a week we’ll go to the beach. In the later afternoon I’ll be preparing dinner cleaning the kitchen and then in the evening just relax and rest after a bike ride with my husband. I am very thankful I have such a Wonderful retirement!

Quick Stretch/Neck Lifts/Feet and Ankle warm-ups and listen to news headlines while still in bed. Get Up between 5 and 5:30. Hygiene, Coffee, Breakfast, Walk a mile outside (most days).
Some Chores then 20 Minute workout with Sit and Be Fit (M-F's).
Few more Chores. Creative Visualization and/or Mindful Meditations.
Two to three times a week get on the computer for awhile.
Three mornings a week shop stores or Farmers Market and return/pick up library DVD's on numerous subjects.
At least once a month we go to a good walking park or gardens for a walk and lunch out. Occasionally its a kids playground to swing etc.
Afternoons after lunch, as many of the following as time, health, energy etc. allows and which ones interest me that day: watch the wildlife we feed daily, Sewing, Watercolor and/or Colored Pencil Art, Beading, creative weaving and boutique yarn creations, listen to music, walk and/or sit in the courtyard/porch/gardens, watch DVD's.
Occasionally work a little in the gardens.
Sometimes take a nap.
If it is Sunday or Thursday I lift weights. Almost daily we tip on the inversion table.
Dinner and kitchen chores. More hygiene/self care.
After dinner watch a little TV or DVD's and/or Creative Visualization/Meditation. Do a little bit of Yoga/Stretch/Qi Jong/and Self Massage neck, feet, hands, jaw, scalp. Once a year it is an overnighter trip in the Motorhome to the Ocean.
Welcome to the forum!

I just bumble along and take it as it comes.

The hardest thing for me to do when I first retired was to slow down and stop doing ten things at once.

View attachment 78687
I just retired in July and this is exactly my problem right now. I trying to get out of this mindset but not that easy after doing this exact thing for the past 40 plus years. This past month I joined the Y and this is helping me tremendously to get out this this mindset.

I wake up when the first robocall comes in. Then I check up on the news with my phone or the TV. Cook breakfast for Daddy Elf and me. Eat, then clean up the kitchen, pour another cup of coffee and while it's cooling a bit I'll make beds, shower, get dressed, brush teeth, etc., lay out Daddy Elf's clothes for him to take a bath. It may be around 10:30 by then. I'll drink coffee while catching up on the news again. Then I'll either clean the bathrooms or wash clothes (depending on what day of the week it is). Sweep floors, make another pot of coffee. Check on Daddy Elf who usually sits on the front porch drinking coffee and eating the cookies in his pocket that he doesn't know I know about.

Prepare lunch, eat, straighten kitchen, news again or jigsaw puzzle on one of the computers. Niece or nephew or both may drop over for afternoon coffee. Keep eyes out for Daddy Elf, make sure he doesn't do too much 'grazing' in the cookie cabinet.

Cook dinner, eat while watching local news, clean kitchen, feed dogs. Watch a show with Daddy, talk a bit, usually about plans for the next day that he usually forgets about completely the next day. Daddy goes to bed and I wipe counters, kitchen table, door knobs and anything else I think of with bleach and water. Then sit at my computer while watching the news until about 11:00 or 12:00. Then it's bedtime.

But one work habit I've not been able to break is making schedules. When I worked I always laid out a schedule in my mind at night for what had to be done the next day at work. But now it's more like after breakfast bleach white load of clothes, wash and air out blankets, spreads, sheets, pillows. After lunch make the cake or bread I've been wanting to make for over a week, mop floors when Daddy naps. So, when I wake up the next morning I'm exhausted from the get-go so sometimes it's more like "do tomorrow what you don't want to do today".

Sleep in most days, have coffee or tea for hours and watch something good on tv. Eat when the feeling strikes me, take the dog out, feed the pets, try to get some cleaning and laundry done. I have no set time for anything.

I just retired in July and this is exactly my problem right now. I trying to get out of this mindset but not that easy after doing this exact thing for the past 40 plus years. This past month I joined the Y and this is helping me tremendously to get out this this mindset.
I am thinking about joining the Y as well. I hope it would be a place to make new friends.

Reading about what some of y'all do every day makes me wonder when on earth there was time to work for a living before retirement!

I spend most of my time in the garden most days unless it's raining. Aside from that, I kind of do whatever suits at the moment. It took a few years after retiring the fifth time to not feel like I had to be "doing" every minute of every day.

Reading about what some of y'all do every day makes me wonder when on earth there was time to work for a living before retirement!

I spend most of my time in the garden most days unless it's raining. Aside from that, I kind of do whatever suits at the moment. It took a few years after retiring the fifth time to not feel like I had to be "doing" every minute of every day.
Georgia...what do you raise in your garden? We had an early cold spell and I've got a big bell pepper plant inside right now with peppers ripening up - couple turning red.

Flowers. Only flowers. DD insists that growing veggies is dumb because "that's what grocery stores are for."
I know...but quite honestly some of the veggies taste way better when you yank them out of your own ground on the day you're eating them. They also lose their nutritional value by the time they get to the grocery. Also raise herbs. Love to have fresh herbs in the house.
I do fuss with flowers too, by the way.

You know, you can buy flowers at the grocery too now days...lol.

I am thinking about joining the Y as well. I hope it would be a place to make new friends.
I agree completely, they are friendly places.
I joined the local YMCA after using local commercial gyms for over 20 years. I find that it is cleaner and the other patrons are a bit friendlier. One thing that always troubled me about my last gym was the total absence of minorities. I also didn't like the way they kept trying to push personal trainers on us.
One thing I like about the Y is that during the summer, they run a day camp in the main gym. I workout next door, but there is something about the "happy sounds" of all those kids enjoying themselves that just makes me happy. They can be a bit loud, and I am sure that the staff has a different opinion than I do, but 40 minutes a couple of times a week works for me.
I suppose that my bottom line is that I feel like I belong there and I didn't always feel that way at the commercial gyms.

I agree completely, they are friendly places.
I joined the local YMCA after using local commercial gyms for over 20 years. I find that it is cleaner and the other patrons are a bit friendlier. One thing that always troubled me about my last gym was the total absence of minorities. I also didn't like the way they kept trying to push personal trainers on us.
One thing I like about the Y is that during the summer, they run a day camp in the main gym. I workout next door, but there is something about the "happy sounds" of all those kids enjoying themselves that just makes me happy. They can be a bit loud, and I am sure that the staff has a different opinion than I do, but 40 minutes a couple of times a week works for me.
I suppose that my bottom line is that I feel like I belong there and I didn't always feel that way at the commercial gyms.
I wonder if they have activities besides physical ones? I’m interested in a craft class or maybe a games class or book club.

Back