Social Housing: Are you pro or con?

I have had to pay to use the bathroom in Poland at a restaurant I was eating at. I found it strange but had it happen a few times.
When I was a young child in NY, there was a store we'd often go to that had coin slots on the toilet stall's door, had to pay a dime to get in.

The practice was eventually discontinued, but it did exist for awhile.

Back to original topic, though:

I'm not really familiar with the term 'social housing,' but I do see something alarming in this thread: grouping people into one category.
There ARE differences between (as examples) working people with low-paying jobs and people who are homeless because whatever money they have goes for drugs instead of self-support.

When I was a young child in NY, there was a store we'd often go to that had coin slots on the toilet stall's door, had to pay a dime to get in.

I remember those also in Ohio.

Back to original topic, though:

I'm not really familiar with the term 'social housing,' but I do see something alarming in this thread: grouping people into one category.
There ARE differences between (as examples) working people with low-paying jobs and people who are homeless because whatever money they have goes for drugs instead of self-support.
The problem is separating those groups.... and dealing with their issues separately....
Those in the second type substance abuser group ........ who would be excluded......... can and often temporarily clean up .... and put on a good show.....
" they want to change" and "turn their life around "....but as soon as accepted in program that facade disappears....
Many also bring in their issues and problems into the complex.
IMO it is like leaving a molding item among others ... mold spreads

The issue is how these are shown ...
you can frame anything to look better then how it actually does...and frankly i have seen and know some who have seen ..... and I TRUST their firsthand experience over.......
some Media or political spun PR appeal that if we just pour MORE and MORE money in........ eventually it will work.

The problem is NOT.... the programs ........Just the complete lack of follow through ( drug tests or actual consequences ) ...for those who do not comply.. with rules like NO drugs etc.

The market isn't sorting s*#! out it. The rich are buying and buying and the working person is getting SOL.
I agree, the housing situation seems to have some tendencies toward price gouging, industry collusion, and monopolies. I thought all those things are illegal in business but perhaps the laws need to be revised to cover housing better. Also, we should review tax breaks and make sure we aren't encouraging problems.

we had those too... the slot took a penny..Hence the phrase , ''spend a penny''... but they were all public toilets....

antique-brass-etas-penny-slot-toilet-360-82c2ee724d5590a2d394306cbbf07e99.jpg

there was also a TP machine..

TP.jpg

Maybe this one below was what was around back in the day in the USA
images

I agree, the housing situation seems to have some tendencies toward price gouging, industry collusion, and monopolies. I thought all those things are illegal in business but perhaps the laws need to be revised to cover housing better. Also, we should review tax breaks and make sure we aren't encouraging problems.
I know! I've said this needs to stop. But when most of the politicians in Washington are filthy rich, they are getting their money from someone other than their salaries, books, speaking engagements. People are getting paid off IMO not to care about the middle class, working class and poor. So much greed. I can't see it change. Even in California raising the rent % and many states have no % cap.

The problem is separating those groups.... and dealing with their issues separately....
Those in the second type substance abuser group ........ who would be excluded......... can and often temporarily clean up .... and put on a good show.....
" they want to change" and "turn their life around "....but as soon as accepted in program that facade disappears....
Many also bring in their issues and problems into the complex.
IMO it is like leaving a molding item among others ... mold spreads

The issue is how these are shown ...
you can frame anything to look better then how it actually does...and frankly i have seen and know some who have seen ..... and I TRUST their firsthand experience over.......
some Media or political spun PR appeal that if we just pour MORE and MORE money in........ eventually it will work.

The problem is NOT.... the programs ........Just the complete lack of follow through ( drug tests or actual consequences ) ...for those who do not comply.. with rules like NO drugs etc.
I don't think there should be a problem because the way programs are approached are different.

As an example, Section 8 has plenty of rules, and there are consequences to breaking rules.
In contrast, Housing First (housing-for-homeless) clearly states tenants 'may not be ready' to stop using drugs.. and if they don't, there are no consequences.

I don't think there should be a problem because the way programs are approached are different.

As an example, Section 8 has plenty of rules, and there are consequences to breaking rules.
In contrast, Housing First (housing-for-homeless) clearly states tenants 'may not be ready' to stop using drugs.. and if they don't, there are no consequences.
there is not a problem just IF the rules are actually enforced....... city close to me had a village of small house had lots of "rules" was suppose to be temporary to help people get back on their feet ...... ended up being dismantled because .......rules about drugs not enforced people who truly wanted a hand up ...... instead of hand out were basically run off and went to shambles .....
My point is many many of these options SOUND good on paper but fail in the execution of keeping up with those who Know how to play the game.

Back