Solid Green Jigsaw Puzzle Challenge

John cycling

Healthy Person
Around the time of joining this forum, I started practicing an online jigsaw puzzle of a lighthouse.
I did it many times, eventually achieving the time of 6:59, then tried a different one that wasn't so colorful.
However, even that one was made easier by grouping the different shades of colors, which made solving it faster.

Thus I made my own 104 piece puzzle, consisting of solid green pieces, and practiced this puzzle many times.
The first time I did it took 34:06. Progress was quite slow, but I eventually did it in 15:11, and ten times at 16:51 or faster.
Improving at that point was quite difficult, so I stopped doing it until a few days ago, and now I'm back at the beginning again.
I've done it around 20 times so far, with a fastest time of 28:03 until yesterday, when I bettered that 3 times with a best of 24:39.

How about you? Are you ready to have a fun challenge? If so, try my solid green puzzle, <-- and see what you get.

Last edited:
You made your own jigsaw puzzle?! 😲 That's impressive! 🙂

John, if you stranded me on a deserted island and told me the only way I could get off was to put that puzzle together, I'd die there. 🤪

My father was an absolute wizard at jigsaw puzzles. I used to buy them for him all the time. He always had one he was working on a card table in the family room. I would look at it from time to time and manage to fit in a piece once in a while, but that was about it. 🥴

Around the time of joining this forum, I started practicing an online jigsaw puzzle of a lighthouse.
I did it many times, eventually achieving the time of 6:59, then tried a different one that wasn't so colorful.
However, even that one was made easier by grouping the different shades of colors, which made solving it faster.

Thus I made my own 104 piece puzzle, consisting of solid green pieces, and practiced this puzzle many times.
The first time I did it took 34:06. Progress was quite slow, but I eventually did it in 15:11, and ten times at 16:51 or faster.
Improving at that point was quite difficult, so I stopped doing it until a few days ago, and now I'm back at the beginning again.
I've done it around 20 times so far, with a fastest time of 28:03 until yesterday, when I bettered that 3 times with a best of 24:39.

How about you? Are you ready to have a fun challenge? If so, try my solid green puzzle, <-- and see what you get.
I tried it. It was fun! Took me 56 minutes. I started slowly, and as I improved, I went faster, but it will take several tries before I can learn it. Good job!

I tried it. It was fun! Took me 56 minutes. I started slowly, and as I improved, I went faster, but it will take several tries before I can learn it. Good job!
@palides2021 - Well done! I'm glad you enjoyed it. 😄
I made my own too... but I'll be beggared if I can get it to upload. Every time I try , it uploads Johns' again...:unsure:
@hollydolly - You don't need to upload your puzzle.
Just do a search for the website, and a link to the puzzle you made should be there.

The point of this thread is learning to do puzzles without relying on colors.
With this in mind, here are some hints for learning and doing the puzzle more quickly.
With any puzzle, a primary strategy is to complete the puzzle by sorting the pieces into sections.

Since we are not using colors, we can sort by the different types of edges.
These can loosely be grouped as follows:
Outside edges, thin stringy edges, square edges, and rounded edges.
Each of these can be further grouped by the direction they lean, for example top strings to right.

Another strategy is adding to bigger groups of connected pieces first, then adding them to the frame.

Last edited:
Ok, redid @John cycling's puzzle and got 31 minutes for the second time. So there is a learning curve. It is fun because it forces me to pay attention to the shapes of the puzzle pieces. Thanks for sharing this! I have a new game to play with! I used to do the puzzles that we would place on the table, and we used to glue them so that when we were done, we could hang on the walls. But that was years ago, and we went at a slow leisurely pace.

I have been doing your green puzzle ever since you mentioned it. I have it down to 22 minutes, so I'm steadily improving.

Back