Some Boomers don't like the term Senior???

This is the generation of the snowflake and the terminally offended.... it'll go down in History with that title..
I don't know that it's a generational thing so much as a sign of the times, Holly. It seems that for the past 50+ years, more and more groups have flocked to join the ranks of the "terminally offended", irrespective of age. This thread seems to reflect that. :eek:nthego:

I don't know that it's a generational thing so much as a sign of the times, Holly. It seems that for the past 50+ years, more and more groups have flocked to join the ranks of the "terminally offended", irrespective of age. This thread seems to reflect that. :eek:nthego:

Right. Old people are getting too uppity. We should just be grateful for being alive instead of complaining about what we're called and for heavens sake, know our place in society and stay there!

Falcon, I didn't realize that y'all had to put up with bring called "young man'. Sic'em! I hate being called "young lady" usually by some middle aged man. I've stopped putting up with that & now call them out on it. Once on the sidewalk of a Sr Center by the male center director, in front of people. I called him out on it & told him exactly what I thought & what he ought to do about it& & was cheered by a couple of women who overhead. Now he just gives me a sot of funny look if our paths happen to cross like he ought to remember something, but I just smile & go on by.

At the age of 89 I call myself an old biddy but I have many folk coming to me from worldwide for my tales of WW2 because I was bombed out twice during the London Blitz and machine gunned twice, plus being evacuated.
Just because I am this age does not mean I am over the hill in the brain department and it is surprising how many younger folk are contacting me wanting to know things about that era from any who went through those years, before it is TOO late.
It has been a busy and very interesting time since I had the book published concerning the first 20 years of my life that takes in the Depression when I was born and then through the war years up to my farcical Cockney wedding day.
I would NOT have had my life any other way.
God Bless All.

If what I'm called becomes one of my great worries, I'll know that important things like health and finances are in decent shape. I'm a bit behind Maywalk at 85 and am just happy to still be getting out and about.

I think I prefer the term "Senior" to "Elderly". elderly somehow draws up the picture of frail, or unwell. Senior, not so much. I mean, we were "seniors" in high school. I do not mind this stage of my life. I an trying to stay active, despite some occasional mobility issues. And I get discounts without even asking. LOL

My mom hated the senior citizen thing. She said it made her feel old. Thing is, No matter what term we use, we are old. It is just how we use this time in our life that matters.

I think I prefer the term "Senior" to "Elderly". elderly somehow draws up the picture of frail, or unwell. Senior, not so much. I mean, we were "seniors" in high school. I d not mind this stage of my life. I an trying to stay active, despite some occasional mobility issues. And I get discounts without even asking. LOL

My mom hated the senior citizen thing. She said it made her feel old. Thing is, No matter what term we use, we are old. It is just how we use this time in our life that matters.

So true, Marie.

I got a smile when you said "I mean, we were "seniors" in high school."! Thanks. :D

I don't mind the term "Senior." In fact, when I buy something, I jokingly say to the cashier, "Don't forget my senior citizen discount." They always laugh. Sometimes they'll say, "Oh, c'mon...you're not a senior citizen." I always say, "66 is a senior citizen. I don't think I look young but people tell me I do. (6 yr old photo)

34576_1336646612295_8012136_n.jpg

I don't mind being a senior, but I bristle at "elderly." Like when I'm watching the evening news and an "elderly woman, age 60" had her purse snatched. Ugh.

I'll let 'em know when I'm ELDERLY.
I'm with ya on that.
Awhile back, a kid (around 18-20) came to my door by mistake, was on his phone and told his friend 'You gave me the wrong address.. he doesn't live here.. an elderly lady answered the door!" I felt like choking him where he stood!!!!
The word puts me in mind of my grandmothers- they were in their 80s!!

There are many forum sites on the internet, it is necessary to define which age group they are intended for. Most young people have a different approach to life and want to discuss different issues from older people. The people on this site grew up in roughly the same era so we can relate to each other, and discuss things from the past. A bit of nostalgia is therapeutic. What term do you think would be preferable to 'senior'?

I don't mind the term "Senior." In fact, when I buy something, I jokingly say to the cashier, "Don't forget my senior citizen discount." They always laugh. Sometimes they'll say, "Oh, c'mon...you're not a senior citizen."

I said that so much now the cashier keeps asking me for my ID card to get her own back when I buy beer :D

Back