Spring in Texas

I have flown into DFW, which is a very busy airport, on numerous occasions. That area gets some very nasty air pockets, which causes turbulence and shifting winds that would sometimes swirl. Spring was always the worse. The warm air in Texas did not mix well with the cold air still coming down from the Rockies when the jet stream would drop that far south. It always made for some interesting landings. We would normally leave the plane on autopilot to maintain elevation, thus giving the passengers a better ride.

I have flown into DFW, which is a very busy airport, on numerous occasions. That area gets some very nasty air pockets, which causes turbulence and shifting winds that would sometimes swirl. Spring was always the worse. The warm air in Texas did not mix well with the cold air still coming down from the Rockies when the jet stream would drop that far south. It always made for some interesting landings. We would normally leave the plane on autopilot to maintain elevation, thus giving the passengers a better ride.

Dont remember the year, oldman, but my wife flew into DFW for a Mary Kay seminar. A day or two later, there was a wind sheer that took down a plane and caused many deaths.

That would have been the Delta jet, which was a Lockheed L-1011 that went down in the mid '80's. We learned about Microbursts after that crash. Because of that crash, many airports now have Doppler Radar, which can detect these cloud and wind phenoms. That was a horrible crash that claimed about 140 souls. I was still flying B-737's back then and making mainly short trips between Baltimore and Chicago, continuing on to Denver.

That would have been the Delta jet, which was a Lockheed L-1011 that went down in the mid '80's. We learned about Microbursts after that crash. Because of that crash, many airports now have Doppler Radar, which can detect these cloud and wind phenoms. That was a horrible crash that claimed about 140 souls. I was still flying B-737's back then and making mainly short trips between Baltimore and Chicago, continuing on to Denver.

I remember this well, my friend and I were sitting in a plane ready to take off when this happened, will never forget it.

Yes, a lot of places are restricted from serving alcohol..They get around the law by forming a "Club" which you must join (free) to be served. Not too many left today.

This was probably around 1986ish. I remember getting drinks at one place but another I had iced tea as the licence was too expensive just to buy for one meal. I was only there for a weekend.

I learned all about microbursts on Air Crash Investigations. I've never had any close calls but had a few bumpy rides.

At the same airport where it happened?

Yes, Annie, it was really scarey....we were waiting to take off to London, we waited and we waited, they had the news on the overhead screens and it came over the news that it had just happened, thats how we found out...the airline never mentioned it, although they had us to get back off and we waited in the gate area for an hour or so....after we finally took off, it was dark and we could see the wreckage and fuel tanks on fire, that the plane had hit, then... we had been flying for a couple of hours.....all the lights inside were off, movie over and everyone was trying to sleep when some woman in the back of the plane let out the most awful blood curdderly scream.... never found out what happened I guess she had a dream..not much sleep was had on that flight, oh when we landed in London our luggage was lost, it was raining and cold, we had to buy sweat shirts to keep warm as our luggage did not arrive for 2 days.

The first thing we did after landing was buy a newspaper to read about the crash back home.

Yes, Annie, it was really scarey....we were waiting to take off to London, we waited and we waited, they had the news on the overhead screens and it came over the news that it had just happened, thats how we found out...the airline never mentioned it, although they had us to get back off and we waited in the gate area for an hour or so....after we finally took off, it was dark and we could see the wreckage and fuel tanks on fire, that the plane had hit, then... we had been flying for a couple of hours.....all the lights inside were off, movie over and everyone was trying to sleep when some woman in the back of the plane let out the most awful blood curdderly scream.... never found out what happened I guess she had a dream..not much sleep was had on that flight, oh when we landed in London our luggage was lost, it was raining and cold, we had to buy sweat shirts to keep warm as our luggage did not arrive for 2 days.

The first thing we did after landing was buy a newspaper to read about the crash back home.

How scary! I'm sure that woman that screamed had a nightmare that the plane was crashing.

If your baggage was delayed, were you compensated by the airline? Just wondering because we flew on American to Hawaii some years ago, 1990 actually and we had our luggage delayed. It was put on another airplane because our's had reached the weight limit. American gave each passenger holding a first class, business class or an American Airlines credit card $50.00 and later that night they delivered our luggage to our hotel. Pretty sweet deal, right? The only bad part was that we had to walk around the rest of the day in our street clothes and go to dinner in clothes that we had on for some 16 hours, which was from the time we left the house in the morning until our bags arrived at the hotel at night.

Hi Ken, I read about and saw the pictures of your wife's lovely rock garden, the 5 year drought and grasshoppers but the spring time pictures you posted here indicate the drought might be letting up? So is the drought over? I know you recently got some heavy rains.

Hi Ken, I read about and saw the pictures of your wife's lovely rock garden, the 5 year drought and grasshoppers but the spring time pictures you posted here indicate the drought might be letting up? So is the drought over? I know you recently got some heavy rains.

Yes, the drought is ending!! We are above normal in rainfall and the lakes are filling up in our area..Parts of West Texas are still in need of rain and remain in a drought!!

It's like they say, "Texas, it's like another country".

It is big enough to be another country and what is happening on one end of the state can be quite different on the other four corners of the state. Some of the friendliest people you weill ever meet, too. Like the waitress saying, "ya'll be sure and come back now". It is just the Texas way,

Ken your pictures are fabulous. God bless Texas!

It's like they say, "Texas, it's like another country".

It is big enough to be another country and what is happening on one end of the state can be quite different on the other four corners of the state. Some of the friendliest people you weill ever meet, too. Like the waitress saying, "ya'll be sure and come back now". It is just the Texas way,

Ken your pictures are fabulous. God bless Texas!

Thank you...

This will be here in another hour!!!!
Untitled.jpg

Back