Stay put or move to senior apartments?

Daisy99

Did you make the decision to sell your home and move to senior apartments? Why or why not? What factors went into your decision? Any regrets?

I’ve lived in my condo for 26 years. It’s 3 stories with a finished basement with laundry; half bath on main level; full bath and three bedrooms upstairs. It’s townhouse style, so private entrances with a porch and patio. People have had stair lifts installed.

I honestly don’t know what to do. If I stay, I’d want to remodel the kitchen and do some other things. If I moved, I wouldn’t have to worry about maintenance and maybe I wouldn’t isolate myself so much.

Any info/opinions appreciated. Any things I should consider? Thank you.

I have decided to stay home for now. I will attempt aging in place. I know my home, the area, and the neighbors. Getting up and moving takes a lot of planning, energy, and usually includes extra expenses (moving furniture, etc.), and there is no guarantee that you will be happier there. However, several SF members live in senior apartments, so I can't speak for them.

We sold our house with basement, and bought a mobile home in a senior park! The doctor told me to stay off stairs at least 40 years ago and that was impossible in a normal Canadian home. So this mobile home suits us just fine for the last 18 or 19 years. This is the longest we have ever lived anywhere.

I can tell you what I’ve done, Daisy, but it may not be right for you.

After my husband passed I sold the big house with stairs and bought a small one story house. I was lucky that the house I liked had been renovated for the previous owner‘s mother, walk-in shower, grab bars there and by the toilet. So I was all set.

Then I fell and broke a hip and then I was rethinking things. I toured several kinds of senior living and asked a lot of questions. I found one particular place that I think will be the best for me when/if I need it. For now I’m still in my house and doing everything except yard work for myself.

So, what I’m saying is go visit the different options and ask questions. You’ll feel better if you have a plan.

Hi Daisy: You mentioned three things that seem to jump out at me.

One is that the laundry is downstairs in the basement, and the full bath is on third floor, so that makes for a lot of up and down navigation that could potentially be a dangerous situation as you get older, and something you would have to always deal with.
Secondly is the maintenance factor. You could hire someone else to do it, but it would always be an added expense.
Third is the isolation you touched on. That can be a big factor unless you have family or friends close by that visit regularly, and it sounds like you don't.
You didn't mention how far away your doctor, hospital, or clinics were, but that's also something to think about.
Whatever you choose, there are often things you would give up in exchange for other things you would get (Tradeoffs), so it's good to list those things down and decide which are of the most important to you.

If you did consider moving to a senior apartment (Independent Living), I think it would be important to find out what social activities they regularly have (Potlucks, music, swimming, daily activities, public transportation to places of interest, etc...) It may mean downsizing a bit, so it would be important to visit one of their apartments, and see how it feels to you to see if you could imagine yourself living there. Anyway, just stuff to think about.

We sold our home about 17 years ago (area declining) moved to an apt that we lived in before we bought our home. We lived in apt complex for 6.5 years and we regretted it, rent kept going up + renters insurance, noisy neighbors moving in and out,noisy people up over us breaking rules, our parking spot getting taken, told how long company can stay and a host of other things.We bought another house and have no regrets.

Think about downsizing but buying again, maybe a smaller condo with less upkeep if available in your complex with less floors or even another complex. It is hard to own and then rent at least it was for us.Contrary to belief it is not cheaper to rent these days as rents go up yearly and a house payment usually stays the same and your building equity too and no one can kick you out unless you default on loan.

Weigh out the pros and cons and what is best for you and your needs.

Did you make the decision to sell your home and move to senior apartments? Why or why not? What factors went into your decision? Any regrets?

I didn't make a one-time holistic sort of decision, but I did sell my home because it felt too big, too lonesome, too much maintenance, etc. I'd planned to travel full-time (economically + with my cat) all around the country for a few years and maybe abroad. I expected to return to Omaha after my travels and rent an apartment (or buy a condo) and be rather bored for the rest of my life.

But, a mere 6 months into my journey I decided to buy a condo in a high rise in a gated 55+ community. There were a bunch of factors that went into my decision but the most important were 1) had arrived at a city I'd lived in when I was younger and had many happy fond memories of; and 2) the retirement community had some very affordable options.

It has turned out to be the happiest choice I could have imagined (way beyond my imagination).

Benefits I wanted and got:
- Building with elevators so I won't have to worry about stairs as I age
- no need for me to shovel snow, weed, maintain outdoor stuff
- affordable

Extra Benefits in my building:
- big lobby and party room to socialize with other building residents
- activity committee in my building that has quarterly cake and ice cream events (free), movie nights in our party room (free), occasional catered brunch/lunch/dinners (not free but yummy!), weekly game night (free), etc
- some stuff included in the HOA fee so the place is even more affordable than I expected (includes internet, cable, heat&a/c maintenance, etc).
- cat care group to take care of each others cats when people go on trips

Community benefits, wonderfully exceeding my expectations:
- a very safe feeling place, not worried about walking at night etc
- walking paths, nature, birds, ponds, a stream, beautiful flowers and other landscaping, 'rough' natural areas, little bits of woods to walk through, wildlife (mostly deer, fox, geese, and turtles and fish in the ponds).
- a garden area that we can rent plots for growing vegetables, flowers, etc
- a medical center
- a dentist office

- 2 clubhouses (like senior centers) with lots of activities such as:
swimming pools (small fee), ping pong tables (small club fee), pool tables (free), arts&crafts (small club fee + supplies),
a woodshop (small club fee + buy your own wood), theater group (probably club fee to join, $10 to go to a performance), outside entertainment brought in having various ticket prices (bands, pianists, opera singers, dancers, etc), movie nights in the auditiorium (small club fee for some of them, others free), misc religious services

- restaurants and a bar (with typical restaurant pricing) one of which caters major holiday meals in the ballroom of one of the clubhouses where you can reserve a table and invite family, or reserve a table with your friends, or choose the singles table - that was what I did last year),
- library,
- rooms for clubs to meet in, areas with tables & chairs for the various board/card game clubs to play at, tables for putting jigsaw puzzles together, areas to sit and watch TV
- a fitness center with all sorts of machines and equipment (free)
- annual fireworks display

- free shuttles that travel around the community (plus have times they go to the local grocery store outside the community)
- a bus stop at one of the clubhouses to catch a regular bus of the mass transit system and have easy access to places all over the city (and to three different airports).
- a $5 on-request private car ride within the community
- an accessibility van (for people in wheelchairs) (I don't know if it costs anything)
- an office that loans things like walkers and other equipment
- on site (limited days & hours) post office, internet/cable company office, travel company office
- many little clubs (I belong to one that goes hiking once a week in various city/county/state parks)
- various classes such as chair yoga, tai chi, PT in the Pool, pool volleyball, etc.
- golf course, pickleball courts (maybe tennis too, I'm not sure).
- opportunities to make friends, find travel companions, etc
- and so much more I can't even think of it all

Staying put. Single level modest ranch-style home. Paid for.

Sharon is planning a move to Minnesota. She'll have to go alone. I don't like Texas all that much, but I like the idea of moving even less.

Senior apartments usually don't have garages. That's where I spend all my time. Without a workshop, I'd be lost and adrift.

Yes I did. 3 Years ago. Moved from Rochester, NY back to my home town. Rent is good, I know the area and the people here, for the most part are nice.
And the fact that I am happy staying single now....been there, done that with the marriage.
Apartments are not for everyone..but I could no longer safely stay home and do maintanence and yard work. Plus I am still paying less than My lot rent in the mobile home park

About a year and a half ago, we discovered some beach side apartments. I was a few miles from where my wife grew up and it was like coming home for her.
We lived in a +55 MHP for about 15 years, near a smaller town of about 30,000. We are in the process of selling are home, and every time IU go up there it is like a ghost town.
Now were are close to markets and many restaurants, plus our building has an elevator-no steps to climb. There is always something going on here, whether it be people walking their dog, or on the beach. I have posted the view from my window next to my PC.
On a clear day I can see two of the Santa Barbara Channel Islands, and on a clear light I can see the flash of a lighthouse 15 miles away.

view.jpg

Not only do I hate this aging in place, I'm afraid I'm gonna die here in this darned big old place. But my husband refuses to move. We're within walking distance of nothing and I don't drive much anymore. (For various reasons, I have to drive myself to a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'm dreading it.) So I do a lot of staring out the windows.

As mentioned in another thread, I own my unit in a co-op. Our mortgage is paid off and we have managed to keep our carrying charges (co-op speak for HOA fees) very low. It would actually cost me a few hundred dollars more a month to move into public senior housing (which would be my last choice) because the Housing Authority charges 33% of a person's income.

Last edited:
Me too but even if there were some place like that here and Huzz would move there (he wouldn't), we wouldn't be able to afford it. The nearest one to us is 2 hours away and it costs the earth.
maybe we could pool our money but I bet even then we could not afford it, we have an assisted living place here not near as nice and I think it is around 4000.00 per person per month, who can afford that?

My daughter, out of the blue, asked if we wanted to go in on land and have a compound. Her and her DH were talking to another couple that did just that. It's a thing now. Supposedly saves money. We haven't talked about it since.
There would be pros and cons. Family close but in your own homes. Kid babysitting, future old people sitting. 😊

Anyone heard of this?

I'd like to sell my house and move to a smaller one-story ranch with less ground and just enough space to have a large veggie garden and room for the dog to run around. I'd love to move to a beach town, but it's looking less and less promising. I'm tired of trying to manage this place on my own.

Although it's ideal for some people, I dread the idea of living in an apartment, senior or otherwise, but that's where I might end up. At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Time is ticking, and I'll need to make a decision in the next few years.

I have decided to stay home for now. I will attempt aging in place. I know my home, the area, and the neighbors. Getting up and moving takes a lot of planning, energy, and usually includes extra expenses (moving furniture, etc.), and there is no guarantee that you will be happier there. However, several SF members live in senior apartments, so I can't speak for them.
Thank you! All of the things you said are the way I feel most of the time.

I can tell you what I’ve done, Daisy, but it may not be right for you.

After my husband passed I sold the big house with stairs and bought a small one story house. I was lucky that the house I liked had been renovated for the previous owner‘s mother, walk-in shower, grab bars there and by the toilet. So I was all set.

Then I fell and broke a hip and then I was rethinking things. I toured several kinds of senior living and asked a lot of questions. I found one particular place that I think will be the best for me when/if I need it. For now I’m still in my house and doing everything except yard work for myself.

So, what I’m saying is go visit the different options and ask questions. You’ll feel better if you have a plan.
That’s great advice! Thank you, I will.

Hi Daisy: You mentioned three things that seem to jump out at me.

One is that the laundry is downstairs in the basement, and the full bath is on third floor, so that makes for a lot of up and down navigation that could potentially be a dangerous situation as you get older, and something you would have to always deal with.
Secondly is the maintenance factor. You could hire someone else to do it, but it would always be an added expense.
Third is the isolation you touched on. That can be a big factor unless you have family or friends close by that visit regularly, and it sounds like you don't.
You didn't mention how far away your doctor, hospital, or clinics were, but that's also something to think about.
Whatever you choose, there are often things you would give up in exchange for other things you would get (Tradeoffs), so it's good to list those things down and decide which are of the most important to you.

If you did consider moving to a senior apartment (Independent Living), I think it would be important to find out what social activities they regularly have (Potlucks, music, swimming, daily activities, public transportation to places of interest, etc...) It may mean downsizing a bit, so it would be important to visit one of their apartments, and see how it feels to you to see if you could imagine yourself living there. Anyway, just stuff to think about.
Thank you!

I'd like to sell my house and move to a smaller one-story ranch with less ground and just enough space to have a large veggie garden and room for the dog to run around. I'd love to move to a beach town, but it's looking less and less promising. I'm tired of trying to manage this place on my own.

Although it's ideal for some people, I dread the idea of living in an apartment, senior or otherwise, but that's where I might end up. At this point, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. Time is ticking, and I'll need to make a decision in the next few years.
Sounds like we’re in the same boat.

Back