suspecting elder abuse

My daddy is a proud man. though I have sensed a nervousness about him lately. he would not want to get us involved in something he considers so personal. he gets confused at times but is lucid 85-90% of the time. My sister has been trying to get him to make out a will. any kind of documentation of his wishes. she is already a POA on health concerns, along with his partner. not sure about financials. I know the partner is "executor" for his savings account, which is a bit substantial for one who supposedly has no money, according to her.
your hands are tied...I suggest removing your emotions and yourself from all this as much and as soon as you can.......
he's decided all this...you cannot undo it...I am sorry...your own health is important too

Well, bingo, he may not have decided all this...depending how far his dementia has progressed.

All questions are rhetorical if you are uncomfortable. I'm just asking so you can think about them.

1. You said she's keeping his kids away. Sounds like she has something to hide. Is she over medicating him to get rid of him quicker since she is so unhappy with him and wants to move out?
2. You said she was guilty of physical abuse with police being called....I don't mean to scare you but are there guns in the house?
3. Are they married by law?...aka lived together for 7 years? (laws vary state to state...check out the law in your area)
4. Is your dad able to talk about this with you coherently?
5 Have you seen the will? First she said she didn't want his money...and then she said he had no money and she pays all his bills...her story is inconsistent which may mean he may have money and she wants it....of course the house is an asset she may be holding out for! She may have blackmailed him to sign it all to her and wants him to go quickly before he changes the will.

I don't want to put things in your mind that aren't there. I don't know you or them so anything I say can be false assumptions. But this happens so be aware.

I agree with MrPants...I don't see how you can install cameras without her knowing since she lives there. You can legally I guess since the house isn't in her name, unless...Is she married-by-law to him. Are you positive the house is not in her name?

Last edited:
If she had been his legal wife, instead of "roommate" would you feel differently?
very good question and one I have also considered. she would not have to sneak around if there was a marriage. For 40 years I have heard why she didn't marry my dad. It was always because her deceased husband had a good pension which she would not have access to should she remarry. She always made sure that financials were kept separate. she had a house which she sold years ago when she moved in with my dad. she had insurance from her former husband's death. she has his pension. she has his ss benefits which were higher then hers would have been. Supposedly, from everything she has ever said, she is in great financial shape, she has told us girls for the last 40 years that my dad always wanted us to have the proceeds from the house ( she didnt need them) to be split 3 ways between us. My dad has said the same. However, when my sister had a discussion with them about my dad getting a will in place, she suddenly had a change of heart . since that time and the other incident, which has only been in the last two months, there is an escalation in the desire to move. I don't want proceeds for my personal benefit. I want to have access to $ for his long term care, which will more likely be needed. He has his house and some savings. no life insurance. funeral is paid for. SS and a small pension. just want him to have really good care should the time come. we will do what we can but we all have obligations as well. my sister has a child who will never be able to live alone to consider.

your hands are tied...I suggest removing your emotions and yourself from all this as much and as soon as you can.......
he's decided all this...you cannot undo it...I am sorry...your own health is important too
yes , I know. I tried. it isnt even about the money for me. it is the deceit around the money that is so hard to get past and my concern for his safety and well being.

Well, bingo, he may not have decided all this...depending how far his dementia has progressed.

All questions are rhetorical if you are uncomfortable. I'm just asking so you can think about them.

1. You said she's keeping his kids away. Sounds like she has something to hide. Is she over medicating him to get rid of him quicker since she is so unhappy with him and wants to move out?
2. You said she was guilty of physical abuse with police being called....I don't mean to scare you but are there guns in the house?
3. Are they married by law?...aka lived together for 7 years? (laws vary state to state...check out the law in your area)
4. Is your dad able to talk about this with you coherently?
5 Have you seen the will? First she said she didn't want his money...and then she said he had no money and she pays all his bills...her story is inconsistent which may mean he may have money and she wants it....of course the house is an asset she may be holding out for! She may have blackmailed him to sign it all to her and wants him to go quickly before he changes the will.

I don't want to put things in your mind that aren't there. I don't know you or them so anything I say can be false assumptions. But this happens so be aware.

I agree with MrPants...I don't see how you can install cameras without her knowing since she lives there. You can legally I guess since the house isn't in her name, unless...Is she married-by-law to him. Are you positive the house is not in her name?
*absolutely positive house is in his name only. my suspicion as to why the sudden move to sell and purchase new home using his proceeds to put house in both their names. * Yes, I am a bit concerned about medications though he is at his doctors office for regular visits and he has been with this same doc for years. *I took his guns out of the house after the police intervention. I believe hers is still there. * No will. *Her change of stories has my radar going on alarm mode.

Last edited:
I'm 57. definitely Mama bear when it comes to my kids and my sweet husband. guess I need to "man -up" for my dad.
I think you do. You are not alone in this (as I am with my elderly stepfather) You have support. That helps A LOT. Be grateful for it.

I agree her not wanting you and adult children to come over is a red flag. If your dad does have dementia, I would think family help would be very welcome by this woman.

Adult protective services. Do be aware though if he passes those cognitive tests, he can do what he wants with his money and property. It is not illegal to give these things to another person.

Thank you all for your responses and your advice. At the very least I now know that I'm not paranoid and that I have every reason to be concerned. Any action we decide to take will be for his benefit and will be understandable. just a side note: when I was younger my Dad and I had a very very contentious relationship but over the years we've grown together and I'm more in love with him now than ever. Age has brought a sweetness and wisdom to him and an undeniable love between he and his three girls. This whole situation is sad, and really unnecessary. NOTE TO OTHERS OUT THERE: If you haven't gotten your desires in place , in a legal format, please please do so. The pain of not doing so is far worse than any inconvenience of a few dollars spent and a few hours of your time to get it right.

I think you do. You are not alone in this (as I am with my elderly stepfather) You have support. That helps A LOT. Be grateful for it.

I agree her not wanting you and adult children to come over is a red flag. If your dad does have dementia, I would think family help would be very welcome by this woman.

Adult protective services. Do be aware though if he passes those cognitive tests, he can do what he wants with his money and property. It is not illegal to give these things to another person.
honestly, is I knew that was what he wanted and he said so, I would honor that,

honestly, is I knew that was what he wanted and he said so, I would honor that,
And that's OK but this is why you nee professional intervention. Even if he could still pass cognitive tests now (and he may not) he may not in the future. If your dad is declining, this woman may be scared wondering what is going to happen to her. That's not your problem. She may be trying to manipulate to save herself and keep a place to live. But if they were never married, I don't know legally what she can do in your area. You should try to find out.

You do need help. Google for things in your area regarding elder care as others have mentioned. Ombudsman I believe may only be for nursing home complaints.

And that's OK but this is why you nee professional intervention. Even if he could still pass cognitive tests now (and he may not) he may not in the future. If your dad is declining, this woman may be scared wondering what is going to happen to her. That's not your problem. She may be trying to manipulate to save herself and keep a place to live. But if they were never married, I don't know legally what she can do in your area. You should try to find out.

You do need help. Google for things in your area regarding elder care as others have mentioned. Ombudsman I believe may only be for nursing home complaints.
I have no doubt that she is scared, which is why we didn't move to press charges against her when she assaulted my dad. however, there is a way and an inappropriate way to communicate your fear and we have given her NO reason to be afraid of discussing that. again, it has never been about the money with me. it is the deceit with which she is operating in regards to that. She has stated as recently as a month ago to me that she is in no need of his money should he pass before her. she has stated the same over the last 40 years. Now, I have to wonder whether she was ever being truthful about this. if she is in need, we, us three and her three, would make sure she is taken care of. Its the sudden change in stories, actions, etc. that leads me to distrust. I just wish she would be completely honest. I wish he had a will. then this would not fall on my sisters and I to wonder and to be fearful.

I have no doubt that she is scared, which is why we didn't move to press charges against her when she assaulted my dad. however, there is a way and an inappropriate way to communicate your fear and we have given her NO reason to be afraid of discussing that. again, it has never been about the money with me. it is the deceit with which she is operating in regards to that. She has stated as recently as a month ago to me that she is in no need of his money should he pass before her. she has stated the same over the last 40 years. Now, I have to wonder whether she was ever being truthful about this. if she is in need, we, us three and her three, would make sure she is taken care of. Its the sudden change in stories, actions, etc. that leads me to distrust. I just wish she would be completely honest. I wish he had a will. then this would not fall on my sisters and I to wonder and to be fearful.
Please read the website I provided for you. It will give you something on which to base your decisions.

attempts to keep his kids from being with him alone, using his dementia, as an excuse.

Go over with your husband and boys to see him. Tell your boys to go ahead and walk in when she opens the door.
Then your husband and you walk in. Tell her you're there to see your dad. If you can, take him somewhere else for awhile.
Plan on staying there for awhile. Maybe she'll get tired of you being there and leave. All you need to do is to get in the house.
Make arrangements, with him, to see him on a regular basis. Talk with him not with her. With his permission, get a key to the house.

*absolutely positive house is in his name only. my suspicion as to why the sudden move to sell and purchase new home using his proceeds to put house in both their names.

Yes, that's exactly the reason.
He could add her name to the current title if he wanted to, but that wouldn't be as much to her benefit as getting a new place.

I have no doubt that she is scared, which is why we didn't move to press charges against her when she assaulted my dad.

How did she assault him?

She has stated as recently as a month ago to me that she is in no need of his money should he pass before her.

People can have no need, yet still be quite fearful and greedy.

So, here are the things I've personally observed over the course of the last year.

* one incident of physical abuse warranting police involvement
* sudden desire to move ( house in his name only)
* seeming attempts to keep his kids from being with him alone, using his dementia, as an excuse.
* constant reference to his not having any money and her paying all or most of the bills. This has been a recurring narrative over the course of 40 years
* statements of her not being with him for the money
* slights of criticism of his thoughts, behavior, competence, etc.

Please give advise: Is this being paranoid on my part? she is the only real mother figure Ive had since my Mom died when I was 6.
Just want to get this right and make sure my dad is safe and taken care of.
I would contact someone to check that out. Something is wrong there. I suggest you contact your local Department of Aging and see if they can give you some much needed information.

Back