Teachers

Coming out from working in a school board... Out of every school... there may be honestly out of a 28 staff of teachers, their maybe 3, and that is pushing the number, but 2 for sure want to teach and take their job very serious... The rest are there for the pay, the actual hours that they teach, and the paid vacation... and I have been in and out of a lot of schools from working maintenance... It is so sad today, and the computer is taking over for today's teacher...

Being a teacher for 17 years of my life and then moving into administration, it is hard for me to come up with a teacher of mine that I would say I hated the most because I know how hard the job is. I think though it is the teacher that just doesn't try that comes to mind and I did have one of those in high school. He was my 10th Grade Biology teacher and he was about to retire and he might as well have the year before because he did not teach us a damn thing. All we did was text book read the information. Not only was it boring, but for a 15 year old kid that was a very hard way to learn.

My favorite teacher was my 12th grade English teacher Miss D. We had a lot of reading assignments that year, but she made the assignments fun by turning chapters or sections in the books into skits that the class would interpret. She was also right out of college herself and in her early 20's which was also really cool because us young girls being 17-18 years old thought we could relate to her.

1st Grade: When the teacher was writing on the blackboard and heard someone talking, she’d ask the kid who was talking to stand up. When no one would stand up, she’d go to the part of the room from which the talking emanated, and smack the knuckles out of a dozen or so kids who sat in that part of the room.

5th Grade: One kid really tormented the girls. During lunch hour one day, the teacher grabbed the guy by the ear and marched him to the school bookstore. She then selected a girl’s school uniform dress and made the kid wear it over his pants during the afternoon session. The school office then sent a bill for the dress to the kid’s mother.

6th Grade: The teacher made a kid stand at attention for talking in class. After standing 10 minutes, the kid fainted. Teacher ran down the aisle, looked at the kid on the floor, looked at my BFF who sat in the last seat, and started beating my BFF while screaming “Why didn’t you catch him?” !!!

8th Grade: The teacher smacked me on the forearm with a yardstick. The stick must have been flawed because it broke in half. There she was, holding half a yardstick. Then she proclaimed, “You buy me a new one.” Mom was really PO’d.

I could come up with a dozen more of these anecdotes.

The teachers above were nuns, and this was 1950-58. Different world. There were 80-96 kids per class and most of the time you could hear a pin drop. Some today would call it child abuse, but I treasure the memories of a happy childhood which included elementary school with the “penguins” in charge.

It sounds like you and I went to the same school .

Being a teacher for 17 years of my life and then moving into administration, it is hard for me to come up with a teacher of mine that I would say I hated the most because I know how hard the job is. I think though it is the teacher that just doesn't try that comes to mind and I did have one of those in high school. He was my 10th Grade Biology teacher and he was about to retire and he might as well have the year before because he did not teach us a damn thing. All we did was text book read the information. Not only was it boring, but for a 15 year old kid that was a very hard way to learn.

My favorite teacher was my 12th grade English teacher Miss D. We had a lot of reading assignments that year, but she made the assignments fun by turning chapters or sections in the books into skits that the class would interpret. She was also right out of college herself and in her early 20's which was also really cool because us young girls being 17-18 years old thought we could relate to her.
Reminds me of a high-school history teacher I had. He found as easier way to give tests. He just opened a history book & read a few paragraphs to himself during the test & asked questions for us to answer.

Reminds me of a high-school history teacher I had. He found as easier way to give tests. He just opened a history book & read a few paragraphs to himself during the test & asked questions for us to answer.
I wish he did that, but the tests he used were standard tests and a lot of the questions that were asked on those tests were not specific questions that popped out in the text book. They were material that should have been taught to us by him.

Miss Beach Bum:
Welcome!
We are a fussing and cussing over the merits of our teacher in ancient times. You have already located one of the threads...

In Tx. the property owners fund the schools; little wonder there so archaic,
understaffed and can attract only deadheads; few would choose to lock themselves into a vocation assuring poverty.

There are not a lot of folks that state, 'Oh yea raise my taxes I really want you to pay more property taxes.'
Property owners cling to this 'peculiar' method as it is one of the few opportunities in which the population controls the purse strings.
This is called democracy, also assuring that the students will leave schools as dumb as when they arrived.

Schools attempt to float bond issues which would enable (they say) to enhance the teacher's salary, bringing in literate teachers (?) and those with a
'higher sense' of what 'learning dumb' heads requires.

It is a backward method; asking a property owner to be a party in cutting their own throats is a crazed way to secure a school budget.

There is a large amount of political wrasseling in the hierarchy of our school
adm. fold.
Texas is a good region for talented teachers and adm folk to avoid.
It is a pitiful state of affairs.

There is another thread which discusses how terrible our teachers were:
we post opinions...

One who has the experience on the other side of education would be welcome addition: One who has a fresh and specific knowledge, rather than an opinion...

Don't scratch us off your map just yet. There are wealth school systems where the citizens value education ; one can make more than an adequate living in these school systems

If you cannot see Gary'O's 'Dicky' you need to go back to imagery school.
(and in so few lines)

Mike 4
Discipline, pay heed: lawsuits, layers clamoring because little Herman got his butt beat: sorry, but it made an impression on little Herman, classmates too.

Win 231-regarding nuns, I have no knowledge of nuns-nada.

Priest and pedophilia, my information comes solely from tv newscast.
They have proven there is/was a hierarchical involvement to cover up this pedophilia mess.
There is no need to 'jump his bones.'
Remember, we post opinions, not absolute decisions-that is inclusive of us all.
There is no need to get snitty, because someone posted an opinion you do not agree with. Rebukes, fine, but those too are opinions only.

If you cannot see Gary'O's 'Dicky' you need to go back to imagery school.
(and in so few lines)

Mike 4
Discipline, pay heed: lawsuits, layers clamoring because little Herman got his butt beat: sorry, but it made an impression on little Herman, classmates too.

Win 231-regarding nuns, I have no knowledge of nuns-nada.

Priest and pedophilia, my information comes solely from tv newscast.
They have proven there is/was a hierarchical involvement to cover up this pedophilia mess.
There is no need to 'jump his bones.'
Remember, we post opinions, not absolute decisions-that is inclusive of us all.
There is no need to get snitty, because someone posted an opinion you do not agree with. Rebukes, fine, but those too are opinions only.
Where child abuse & cover up of child abuse is concerned, especially when it's committed by authority figures & religious hippocrites, I get much more than snitty.

win 231
Agree, outrage is called for.
Snitty refers to the way your post was interrupted; it did not apply to you.
I would like to have seen some background, facts... especially on topics I know nothing about.
You obviously know a good deal about nuns than I do; however, on this particular topic-I don't want any.
Friends? Yea friends

Back