Teen hunter run over by corn chopper after falling asleep in field, Michigan cops say

Maybe the kid was already dead. As sound of a sleeper as I am, listening to this machine in the video, it would have awaken me.

Who with any brains at all drops a 14 year old with a high powered rifle to hunt in a corn field by himself? You can't see past the end of your nose in a cornfield.

In my area, anyway, you can't just go hunting on someone else's land without their permission, and the article says the farmer didn't know anyone was there. I can't imagine a farmer giving anyone permission to hunt in a field where people might be working -- that's just nuts.

Who with any brains at all drops a 14 year old with a high powered rifle to hunt in a corn field by himself? You can't see past the end of your nose in a cornfield.

In my area, anyway, you can't just go hunting on someone else's land without their permission, and the article says the farmer didn't know anyone was there. I can't imagine a farmer giving anyone permission to hunt in a field where people might be working -- that's just nuts.

Given the age (actually 13 :() and dropping him off alone to hunt without the land owner's permission, I'm surprised there haven't been negligence charges filed against the person who dropped him off.

The part that doesn't add up for me is, dropped off in a corn field to hunt?

Who hunts in a corn field? An area where one can't see more than 2-3 feet in front of them? Where, if one misses their shot, they have not a clue where the bullet is going to end up.

Farm land... corn field... people working in and around the corn field... machinery being operated in and around the corn field.

Whenever I go hunting with my husband, ideally, he likes to find an open area where there's a clearing or a cut in the mountain-side/landscape, where he has a clear view of what he's hunting. Not only does he have a clear view, he has a clear shot, and if he so happens to miss the shot, he knows exactly where the bullet will travel.
Well wild turkeys can often be found in corn fields. They nest for the night up in trees and get up early to eat the corn so not that unheard of. Just last summer I met up with a hunter and two kids who had camped the night next to a field.
Maybe he got drunk and passed out.
Why do I read these gruesome stories?🥺

Solo hunting is common here in tree blinds. But this case esp given the kid's age, I certainly agree that he shouldn't have been dropped off to hunt alone.
Well, to be quite honest, I have fallen asleep in my tree stands. Getting up at 5 in the morning so I could be in my stand before daybreak after staying up the night before until 2 or 3 playing cards and having a few Cokes, well you get the picture. I often wondered how many deer walked under my stand while I was sawing wood.

Well, to be quite honest, I have fallen asleep in my tree stands. Getting up at 5 in the morning so I could be in my stand before daybreak after staying up the night before until 2 or 3 playing cards and having a few Cokes, well you get the picture. I often wondered how many deer walked under my stand while I was sawing wood.

Cokes, hmmmm? 🤔 Crown and Coke? Jack and Coke?

Well wild turkeys can often be found in corn fields. They nest for the night up in trees and get up early to eat the corn so not that unheard of. Just last summer I met up with a hunter and two kids who had camped the night next to a field.
Maybe he got drunk and passed out.
Why do I read these gruesome stories?🥺
Yes, but I'm not aware of any hunters that use high-powered, big game hunting rifles for such.

That's understandable, I can see that, but as for the story in question, it's not adding up to me.

Given the age (actually 13 :() and dropping him off alone to hunt without the land owner's permission, I'm surprised there haven't been negligence charges filed against the person who dropped him off.

I wondered that, too.

Another thing is -- whose rifle was it? I don't think anywhere allows a 13 year old to actually "own" such a weapon. I also doubt that it's legal much of anywhere for a 13 year old to hunt unsupervised.

Why was he there alone? I believe Michigan state law requires a hunter to be at least 17 to hunt alone.
My thoughts exactly J, but I found this:
Michigan residents and non-residents ages 10 to 16 must purchase the reduced-fee Junior Base License and residents and non-residents up to age 9 may hunt with the Mentored Youth License. They must hunt with a mentor who is at least 21 years old and who has a hunting license,
which says differently than what Becky posted....not sure which is more accurate according to dates of enforcement....

https://www.hunter-ed.com/michigan/hunting_license/

Back